Shane
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bias check for new VM

Postby Shane » 12 Apr 2010, 18:00

Hi all,
Just wondering if anybody has checked the bias setting on a new VM shortly after purchase. I have heard that the bias settings on new valve amps can sometimes be off. Also, do valves require re-biasing as they age?

Thanks
JMP-1H; Peavey Classic 30 Head + 2x12 cab, 1992 Les Paul Std; 2008 Angus Young Signature SG; Washburn WP50 (lawsuit LP); Fender 72 Thinline Telecaster (Japan)

Bailz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Bias check for new VM

Postby Bailz » 13 Apr 2010, 01:22

There's no rule of thumb regarding the bias after buying a new amp - but it's not a bad idea to have it checked anyway. Similarly there's nothing to say that your bias will absolutely drift over time but again it's not a bad idea to have it checked.

auss81
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby auss81 » 13 Apr 2010, 02:00

As Bailz said, nothing wrong to check it or have it checked......

Personally I changed the stock KT66s after about a month from the purchase of my 2266, I checked the bias and it measured 43 mV in both tubes.

With my new Gold Lion I setted the bias to about 45 mV and it sounds pretty good.
Marshall VM 2266 head
Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender Super Reverb Reissue
1966 Fender Showman head + 1x15 original cab
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster
Fender CS '69 Stratocaster NOS
Dunlop Univibe, Wah Wah, FuzzFace JH1; Fulltone OCD; Vodoo Lab Micro Vibe; Lovepedal Eternity Kanji.

Ghostrider
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Ghostrider » 13 Apr 2010, 10:26

Chances are the factory bias is fine. But for peace of mind and to ensure you are getting the most out of the amp it sure is a good idea to check it.
Twin 2466 amps

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 13 Apr 2010, 11:04

yeah it wold be biased before leaving the factory but you dont know how long its been lying around waitin to be purchased. or could have been played in the shop ort left on standby. and also it couldv been biased with a different mains supply e.g. biased with a mains supply on the low side of the tollerance and your mains supply could be on the high side!!

all in all, it is probably fine, but there is so many possible variables that, if you know how to bias the amp, then its worth the 10-15min! if you dont know how to bias it, play it and if it sounds good then leave it!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

TubeStack
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TubeStack » 17 Aug 2010, 17:52

My 2466 is came new, still in the box. It was made in 2009, based on the serial number.

Can the bias have drifted much in a year, sitting in the box?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 Aug 2010, 20:48

TubeStack wrote:My 2466 is came new, still in the box. It was made in 2009, based on the serial number.

Can the bias have drifted much in a year, sitting in the box?
The only way to know is to have it checked, I doubt it though. If it sounds good to you then I wouldn't mess with it since you got it new anyways. I f you had picked it up off eBay or something I would defenitly have it checked out just to make sure you are getting the most out of it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”