Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

My 2466 vs Mesa Triple Rec...Dynamics

Postby Green Manalishi » 24 Apr 2010, 09:17

So I recently got a Triple Rec, and have used that the last couple of practices to get the hang of it. After getting used to the VM, meaning, playing the whole set never touching a knob on the amp, and controlling everything with the guitar's controls, it takes a different midset to play the Rec. Where the VM would be very different with the vol on 1 on the guitar compared to 10, the Rec has very little difference. I would say the Rec from 1 to 10 is like the VM from 8 to 10. It's almost like it's on or off.
The Rec also doesn't have the changes in feel by just playing differently, where the VM is really responsive to pick attack, etc.
I couldn't believe I was struggling with multi-channel stepping on footswitches to change sounds, I am so in the mindset of the VM! I prefer that style of playing

Again, SteveD, brilliant amp!
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: My 2466 vs Mesa Triple Rec...Dynamics

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 24 Apr 2010, 13:34

I actually get pissed off these days trying to use other amplifiers when my VM is not able to be hauled somewhere. The guitar volume on these other amps is either on or off for the volume! and the dynamics of changing your pick attack is useless! sounds the same and sounds like your strings are dead!, especially when doing pinch harmonics or squeals most other amps are just lifeless!.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Taz5150
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Taz5150 » 24 Apr 2010, 17:14

Hey i played with a Mesa for 2 weeks trying 2 get a great sound out of it... Im no fool when it comes to tone but i could not make it work for me. To many variables etc.. Strange then i turn to the VM and withing a couple of minutes there it was... wow ! TONE ! Great amp , played by people who know ! Rob

DogFalcon
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby DogFalcon » 26 Apr 2010, 03:34

Taz5150 wrote:Hey i played with a Mesa for 2 weeks trying 2 get a great sound out of it... Im no fool when it comes to tone but i could not make it work for me. To many variables etc.. Strange then i turn to the VM and withing a couple of minutes there it was... wow ! TONE ! Great amp , played by people who know ! Rob

Yeah!

That's what I thought! I tryed a lot of amps before deciding by the VM.
I must say that the 2266 I bought I had no experimentation no experience at all...I got the shot in the dark; Bought it!
Maybe I would be regreted...but I didn't.

Plugged in...WOW! Born to be my amp!

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 26 Apr 2010, 04:28

One of the reasons you don't have the dynamics in a Mesa is the large number of gain stages in the preamp. The Rectifier series is of the same basic design as the Peavey 5150 and others that don't come to mind right now, that all owe their heritage to the Soldano SLO-100. Much of their tone is from the high gain, and too much gain will squash the dynamics.

Crazy_Guitar
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Crazy_Guitar » 26 Apr 2010, 08:06

Plus... the tube rectifier itself plays a "decent" job mushing and muddying the tone.
Well... they are designed to be like that! And a lot of players actually like that.

As for me... I don't. :)

I love the VM, I must say, but it isn't my amp also.
No offence intended... I hope none is taken. :)

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”