Pink Floyd meets??? Does this work or not

Upload or Link your Songs here. Create your own Forum (PM Admin for your own Subforum)

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Pink Floyd meets??? Does this work or not

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Nov 2008, 17:14

I recorded this song over the past week and I need some comments on if the songs progression works or not.

Basically it starts with some sax work then gets pretty Pink Floyd-ish. From there I kick in the mojo but need to know if that works or not. There is some killer fuzz bass later in the song (4:40) that came out really cool if I do say so myself 8)

Silent Warning

Drums - Yamaha
Guitars - Carvin V and Godin LGA-SX
Bass - Carvin Icon5
Amps - Marshall Vintage Modern and Fender Supersonic
Synth - Roland Fantom X6 and GR-20
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

spooky joe
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby spooky joe » 15 Nov 2008, 09:26

Good stuff.
Very 70's prog..... Floyd esque , also reminds me of Manfred Manns Earthband at times and more latterly Porcupine Tree.
Like the opening , brooding ominous feel , a Silent Warning for sure.
Thought you might have gone for more of a unison staccato riffing vibe when the electrics kick in and gradually build with the searing guitar. Thats what i was expecting. Then refrain the intro.
What amp you using for the heavy parts?
Cheers for the tune , I like your stuff alot. Resonates with me..... 70's were killer weren't they? For thoughtful intricate rock.
Ta
No One Came for miles around and said man your music is really funky

VM2266
JTM45
3203 Artist
JTM60
DSL50
5005 Lead 12
MC412A
JTM410C
www.reverbnation.com/spookyjoerock

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 15 Nov 2008, 17:27

What amp you using for the heavy parts
Thanks for the comments. The opening guitar work was done using a Roland GR-20 with a Godin LGX-SA guitar, there was also a Fender-ish patch from my Digitech GSP-1101 pre-amp morphed in with it as well. Makes for a very nice chorus acoustic tone.

When I kick in the power B chord I am using a Fender Super Sonic amp and that takes care of the rythem, lead guitar was done with my 2466. The heavy stuff was done on a Carvin Ultra V guitar.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

spooky joe
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby spooky joe » 17 Nov 2008, 08:28

Thanx for info.
Be grateful if you'd give my tunes the once-over on www.reverbnation.com/spookyjoerock
Like your Heroes Wall too........ some great players , similar tastes.
Cheers

VM2266
JTM45
3203 Artist
JTM60
DSL50
5005 Lead 12
MC412A
JTM410C

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 Nov 2008, 15:42

Be grateful if you'd give my tunes the once-over on www.reverbnation.com/spookyjoerock
Be happy to mate, I have to meet with a bunch of Lawyers tonight so give me a day or so and I'll give you a review.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

spooky joe
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby spooky joe » 17 Nov 2008, 16:33

Cheers Surf. Look forward to your feedback.

VM2266
JTM45
3203 Artist
JTM60
DSL50
5005 Lead 12
MC412A
JTM410C

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 Nov 2008, 19:35

First off I do not sugar coat my reviews becasue it does you no good, I'm not going to blow you.

Many of your recordings sounded like old Traffic and even Deep Purple to me, there is a place for this music for sure. I think the recording mixes all need some good mastering, you are close on some of your tracks but all tracks need work. The drums are also weak on all tracks and need to come up in the mix a bit. The bass and keyboards worked well.

I want to compliment you on your uncolored guitar tone, very natrual and sounds good. The bass player is solid and does a nice job on all the tracks backing nicley. The keyboards on Our New Year were great, keep your keyboard player as he really adds to your songs.

The first three tracks the vocals just didn't work for me, not saying they were bad but rather I need to hear more passion in the singing, did not sound natrual at all and lacked flow with the music. The style of the singing on Branwen worked the best for me.

If I could recommend one thing to your recording it would be to try and write songs that create more emotion for your audience, I wanted to be involved in the songs but couldn't.

This review is not a slam but rather only my opinion of what I am hearing. In the end keep creating the original music as you will always find your fan base, and will be able to determine how far you have come as musicians.

Surf
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

spooky joe
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby spooky joe » 20 Nov 2008, 15:54

Hey Surf thanks for taking the time to listen to the tunes. Your views are appreciated and important to me.
Can't disagree with what you say really. Prefer honest opinions rather than trite platitudes. Obviously i'm really fond of the work we created but there is room for improvement.
None of the songs have been mastered...... all done on Logic Pro and mixed down as best we could.
The drums need to go up for sure. The singer is popular locally and is a good friend of mine , but i take your point.
My guitar tone is direct . Just amp/boost and guitar. Thats what i wanted and i think it sounds OK.
Funnily enough Branwen is my least favourite. No warmth at all.
Our New Year was written knowing we could have Hammond organ. He is a great player.
We're still writing and will be recording some more stuff. Would like to hear what you think then..... see if we've moved on.
Cheers

VM2266
JTM45
3203 Artist
JTM60
DSL50
5005 Lead 12
MC412A
JTM410C

Return to “Roadhouse Song Showcase and Members Tracks”