Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Any Screamo Vocalists Out There?

Postby Spotted Dog » 14 Feb 2010, 04:57

I'm curious about the training, techniques and equipment used to sing screamo. Any insights would be appreciated, thanks. :jam
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Any Screamo Vocalists Out There?

Postby surfnorthwest » 14 Feb 2010, 06:40

You put your nut sack in one of these and turn it clockwise for higher pitch screams, it works try it.

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Lordakamai
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Lordakamai » 14 Feb 2010, 06:44

surfnorthwest wrote:You put your nut sack in one of these and turn it clockwise for higher pitch screams, it works try it.

:laugh :laugher :laugher :laugh
In the end, all you can rely on is your good old guitar

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 14 Feb 2010, 10:26

surfnorthwest wrote:You put your nut sack in one of these and turn it clockwise for higher pitch screams, it works try it.

:laugher

Old school!
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

pillagethesound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby pillagethesound » 15 Feb 2010, 11:55

If the bench vise is a little out of your price range, you can always go for a pack of thick rubberbands and wrap them a few times around your balls lol. Or there is the tried and true technique :ball kick right before going on stage :laugher

In all seriousness tho, a lot of screamo singers cant do it for very long. It tends to damage and scar the vocal cords. Avenged Sevenfold is a good example of this, the lead singer used to scream until their two most recent CDs. He had damaged his vocal cords and couldnt do the screaming anymore. Just a word of caution in case you are asking because you want to sing in such a manner.
Life your life, you can sleep when you're dead

JohnnyW
<25
<25

Postby JohnnyW » 15 Feb 2010, 12:43

Have you looked up "Zen of Screaming" and "Zen of Screaming II"? The vocal instructor has worked with the dude from Lamb of God and that chick from Arch Enemy, and they've got some pipes.
Ain't no school like old school.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 16 Feb 2010, 00:22

I tried the rubber bands, but could only get that squeeling-like- a-pig tone, not the deep growling devil sounds I was after. The vice was promising, but really slows down mobility when jumping into the crowd. (Great name for a pedal though, "The Vice".) The "ball kick" produced some very believable tones, but the effect decays fairly quickly then I wanted to vomit.

I always thought that screamo was performed with effects, but I guess not! Seems these vocalists are "pureists" when it comes to their "devil's" tone. Definitely not my thing, but I am curious about the motivation to perform screamo and why its popular. :dunno

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “Other Instruments”