Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Michael Kelly Mandolins

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Dec 2009, 18:16

One thing I would like to start using is a madolin on some of my recordings. Ever since I heard Led Zeppelin 4 with the Battle of Evermore I have wanted to pickup a mandolin. Never really learned to play one but how hard could it be?? Learn to tune it and a few chords :dunno

I have doing some research and these Michael Kelly mandolins with the Fishman electronics/preamp interest me the most right now. They seem to be well made and many players say they sound great, they come recommended at some of the country forums also.

Any thoughts on playing these or the Michael Kelly line of Mandolins?

Here is the one I am considering, it is The Legacy FSE

Besides if Nancy can get done I think I can give it go. I hear in my head a lot of music where a mandolin fits.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Michael Kelly Mandolins

Postby slowpokerhino » 22 Dec 2009, 18:39

My drummer is learning to play the mandolin. Not sure what one he has. Getting pretty good at it too. He just doesn't want to get stuck with bongos if we ever do an acoustic set. :bgrin

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 24 Dec 2009, 17:36

rory gallagher is also a legend on mandolin aswel!! there is some cool concert footage of him playin acoustic sets with mandolin. i cant remem exact clips so heres the first one i found!!

[youtube][/youtube]

-- Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:53 am --

what a legend!! is there anyting he cant do? lol

sometimes i mess around with a capo on the 12th fret, to start off put on the capo and play a few open chords.sounds kinda like a mandolin! tis fun!! give it a try!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 24 Dec 2009, 18:47

I did not know that, love Roy! Although the blues is not what I have in mind to do with it, more melancholy I guess.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Kongels
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 25 Dec 2009, 02:04

They are alot of fun, spend enough to get a quality one that will stay in tune, from there I don't know anything about electronics in them, you could just mic it. I picked up an A framed, hillbilly, one about 10 years ago for $400 or so and still pick it up every now and then.

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 20 times

Postby jab » 02 Dec 2010, 07:43

looks like an old thread, but it was Heart's version of Battle for Evermore that pushed me into getting a mando years ago. I'm on my third one. I started with Sigma Martin (not recommended), moved to Tacoma (pretty nice), and then I played a Godin a couple of years ago and never looked back. So easy to play and sounds phenomenal plugged in. And it seems just as loud and fine not plugged in sitting in a room too which was surprising. Godin not a traditional choice but a great one for a guy in a rock band. http://www.godinguitars.com/godina8p.htm

Did you ever get one?
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 02 Dec 2010, 08:24

No, I have a friend that has a nice Gibson I can borrow if I want. Still need to get my own just have not got around to it yet.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Vinny » 02 Dec 2010, 14:23

What a silly coinsidence...am on the run for one too, but want to start with a cheap one!
I looked for these :
http://www.keymusic.com/product/Ibanez- ... n-Sunburst
Looked on the Ibanez site,looks fine,all solid wood...pick-up... >Good to start with i think.
I want one just for the fun,just to fool around with and play some chords! NEVER played a mandolin, evn don't know what the chords are, but with internet it should be fun!
I let you know,this week-end I'm gonna test this one!

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby jab » 03 Dec 2010, 11:18

cool thing about mando is it's easy to learn 4 or 5 chords, it always sounds good, and people think you're a real mando player right out of the gate when they hear it. Oh yeah, and chicks dig it and always come up and ask what that little thing is you're playing. Just don't sign up for the Telluride Bluegrass Festival or anything yet.
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 03 Dec 2010, 11:34

Dude, I don't want any chick coming up to me asking about "little things"
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby jab » 03 Dec 2010, 13:59

then move the mando :clap I'm gonna be here all week, don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses...

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 05 Dec 2010, 15:09

surfnorthwest wrote:One thing I would like to start using is a madolin on some of my recordings. Ever since I heard Led Zeppelin 4 with the Battle of Evermore I have wanted to pickup a mandolin. Never really learned to play one but how hard could it be?? Learn to tune it and a few chords :dunno
Been playing mandolin for 9 years now and I strongly encourage it, especially for anyone who is into recording. Mandolins add another texture to recordings and sound so great with an acoustic guitar(s) or other instruments. And believe it, playing one also strengthens the fingers and makes you able to play way up high on the guitar better too. After a couple of days on the mandolin I can pick up a guitar and play much better up high than usually because the mando gets your fingers used to the smaller fret spacing. I really like to play a guitar up to the 24th fret and playing the mandolin makes it easier.

Like you I really dug "Battle of Evermore" and had been thinking about learning it on mandolin for years. I also loved the sound on "Mandolin Wind", "Gasoline Alley" and "Maggie Mae" from the early Rod Stewart era.

So back in 2001 I finally bought a decent quality "A" model from Mid-Missouri Mandolins, handmade in the Ozarks (and a couple of chord books, etc.) It's got a rosewood body and neck, Englemann spruce solid top, and ebony fingerboard. It has a rich, mellow sound with good sustain as contrasted to an "F" style, which are used more for bluegrass, and which have a choppier, brighter tone. I use it for a mysterious, modal sound and for medieval sounding stuff or folky things and to complement the guitar and recorders (the flute things). It's very easy to learn the basic open chords but it can get very complicated with all the inversions and alternative shapes, etc., like the guitar can. And that's just down in open position. I thought I would have to play for a while to work up to "Battle of Evermore" but it kind of popped out after just a few days because that song is very "mandoliny", and not at all difficult to learn really. Now to play it smoothly in time like Page all the way through is another matter!

It's easy to begin on mando and impossible to master, I think. At least for mere mortals. The difficult part is its tuned in fifths rather than fourths so the scales and shapes are totally whack. But violinists use it so it can't be a bad thing. It is like upside down and inside out compared to guitar tuning. For example, tuned EADG from top to bottom instead of bottom to top. I love playing it and it helps me to break out of the box, so to speak. And it's great for your chops because you cannot get away with any "tricks" too much, like hammer-ons and string bends, to fool the people, lol, like with guitar. And the double coursed strings have more tension and need to be picked or plucked accurately like on a 12 string. It really sharpens your rhythm chops, guaranteed. Chords in the open position are lots of fun, sound great, and pretty easy. Single lines and melodies a little bit trickier cuz they just don't resemble a guitar's scale shapes. And up past the 7th fret....I get a headache and certainly can't play with abandon w/out screwing up. Very, very humbling sometimes. Prepare to be humbled.

FWIW, I play it acoustically and when recording it a condenser mike. I have an Epiphone also with a transducer pick-up but it's not as good an instrument and the pick-up doesn't sound natural so I only play the Mid-Missouri mandolin. Incidentally those go by another brand name nowadays. I am familiar with the Michael Kellys but don't have experience with them. Get one of good quality and you can never go wrong. Your recordings will be better and you'll get years of enjoyment and satisfaction from it. Here's a picture of the mandolin.
Mid-Mo M-4 Solid Rosewood w ebony board and Engelmann spruce top.JPG
Mid-Mo M-4 Solid Rosewood w ebony board and Engelmann spruce top.JPG (61.67 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Dec 2010, 15:17

Price?? The one I am considering now is the Godin A8. Love what Godin did with my Synth access guitar as far as quality. One of the main peices of gear I am looking at when at NAMM next month. I will visit the Godin booth as well as a few others, just have to pick it up and see how it feels.

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 05 Dec 2010, 18:53

It's been so long ago I can't recall how much it was. Between $650-$700 maybe back in 2001.

That Godin is nice looking. No sound holes? Can it be used acoustically or needs to be amplified? Playing amplified is cool because you can add reverb and delay. And nice to be able to plug into an electronic tuner.

On the other hand, acoustically means you can throw it in the back seat and take it anywhere/anytime.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Dec 2010, 19:19

Totally electric, and that is what I would want to just add some quick color to some music. So far they look to be what I am looking for, but again have to get it in my hands.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Return to “Other Instruments”