Experimental Transformer Question

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

cadaver_occulta
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Experimental Transformer Question

Postby cadaver_occulta » 06 Aug 2009, 16:34

Not that I will be trying to implement this anywhere, but I was curious about something. I found some information about quartz and how it maintains such a perfect frequency (at least when it was used in computer technology). So I looked into this a bit more (I have no life :smash ) And read about piezoelectric transformers. This made me think, "Why dont they use piezoelectric transformers in guitar amps?" Has this been tried? Is there something im just not quite grasping about this? They just seem like they r so reliable, it just looks like using them in guitar amps would be a no brainer. Perhaps I am mislead?
I just lost the game!!! :(

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Experimental Transformer Question

Postby DeanM » 06 Aug 2009, 16:59

have never heard of piezoelectronic transformers!! but they sound like they would be expensive? is that right? if they are then that could be yer answer! if theyre not then iv no idea! cos i havent read about em so i dont know how they work or their nature!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 07 Aug 2009, 01:14

The power transformer in a valve guitar amplifier with its inefficiencies and specific regulation characteristics has a significant agenda on the sound and feel especially when cranked. There is much breakthrough technology that could be utilised in guitar amps which may improve reliability but at the expense of sound and feel.

If it was only about reliability, valves would have gone long ago!
Still my guitar gently weeps

cadaver_occulta
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby cadaver_occulta » 07 Aug 2009, 11:43

never thought of it like that...I suppose solid state amps are made to take care of the reliability issue, but, as Steve said, at the cost of sound and feel. I suppose a piezoelectric transformer would probably be more reliable than what is already in valve amps, but at the same time it wouldn't sound or feel like a valve amp. (I suppose I should leave that type of thinking to Crate, huh? :roll ) Oh well, thanx for the info! U all definitely cleared that up for me!
I just lost the game!!! :(

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 28 Aug 2009, 17:52

Standard transformers are already extremely reliable if built properly. Most Marshall transformers over the years only die when under some sort of stress (overheating or using the amp with the wrong or no load). I have some old radios from the 1930's with stock transformers that work just fine and I have no reason to think they won't continue to work indefinitely.

Fender tweed amps from the 50's often have to have their signal caps replaced (the old yellow Astrons) as they can get very leaky, and the carbon comp plate load resistors in blackface and silverface Fenders often become noisy. And most all amps eventually have to have the electrolytic caps replaced. But in all these amps the transformers run great and last a very long time unless under some type of stress outside their design parameters.

I have in my job seen unreliable transformers but without exception the failures have been due to poor designs. Marshall transformers from what I've seen are excellent designs and don't have these problems.

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”