Discussion of Valve Amplifiers Vintage and Modern

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Dec 2008, 18:26

I seen the full video demo on the Ultimate today, impressive. I am liking the dual volume model they sell. However I am also liking what I am seeing from that Dr Z Airbrake. Money is not the issue but rather quailty, I have to study up on this a bit more. I also am simply going to get some opinions from the guys over at the Metro amp forum and see what they say since almost all of them have a amp similiar to this one. Below are two video demos of both

http://www.ultimateattenuator.com/video_guides.html

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

teddy07x
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby teddy07x » 05 Dec 2008, 23:09

surfnorthwest wrote:I seen the full video demo on the Ultimate today, impressive. I am liking the dual volume model they sell. However I am also liking what I am seeing from that Dr Z Airbrake. Money is not the issue but rather quailty, I have to study up on this a bit more. I also am simply going to get some opinions from the guys over at the Metro amp forum and see what they say since almost all of them have a amp similiar to this one. Below are two video demos of both

http://www.ultimateattenuator.com/video_guides.html

dude, that ultimateattenuator, whatever that is, sounds a fuckofalot more organic than anything else I've heard.
the Dr. Z didn't seem to lose any harmonics when attenuated. I dunno dude. I wish you could try both.
but both attenuators sound like an improvement from the old stuff.
I wouldn't say soon is the word. Axl Rose

"When asked about his son’s failures, the elder Bush said, “You can go back to your, what do you call it, your Google, and you figure out all that." G.H.W Bush

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 06 Dec 2008, 05:36

teddy07x wrote:
dude, that ultimateattenuator, whatever that is, sounds a fuckofalot more organic than anything else I've heard..
+1 I watched his video on youtube and it sounded amazing!
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

teddy07x
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby teddy07x » 06 Dec 2008, 06:03

kissfanps wrote:
teddy07x wrote:
dude, that ultimateattenuator, whatever that is, sounds a fuckofalot more organic than anything else I've heard..
+1 I watched his video on youtube and it sounded amazing!
for a second I thought I was hearing things. :D but thanks for chiming in! :)
I was right! LOL :D

I had to listen a second time, and I'm sure it sounds better :)
I wouldn't say soon is the word. Axl Rose

"When asked about his son’s failures, the elder Bush said, “You can go back to your, what do you call it, your Google, and you figure out all that." G.H.W Bush

cupidstunts69
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby cupidstunts69 » 06 Dec 2008, 09:46

Not trying to be contrary but I think the Dr.Z sounds a lot more transparent at higher volumes. The attenuation to really low levels with the Ultimate Attenuator is awesome though! I wouldn't ever want to attenuate to that low a volume so I'd go for the Air Brake. Just my opinion though!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 Dec 2008, 11:00

OK I have an Ultimate attenuator coming. Just got off the phone with the owner in California and he spent a good deal of time with me explaining the technoligy used as well as the options availible. Here is what he is sending me.

Ultimate Attenuator 120v

Options
200 watt load capacity upgrade (allows for much more attenuation on a 100watt plexi)
100v regulated AC tap (cuts the input voltage to your amp to only 100 volts, as with a Variac)
Plexi Switch (builds in more presence)

Said I wouldn't disclose the price I got, but if you deal directly with him it is a very good thing. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Below is a very recent review of the UA, also a good read.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... eview.aspx
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 07 Dec 2008, 17:17

You won't be dissapointed. I have had my Metro JTM45 for almost a year now and it still impresses me. Let us hear some clips when you get this bad boy! By the way, who built this kit for you? We might have had the same guy build our amps.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Dec 2008, 14:55

He is know by the screen name of BrianH over on the Metro Forums. He is known as a master builder and has been a personal friend George for some years now. He currently is building nothing but JTM 45 clones. I guess his day job is buying electrical components so he has som good connections when it comes to getting the right parts.

I will get some clips posted once the amp and ultimate attenuator show up.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 08 Dec 2008, 20:50

Not the same guy as mine but I bet it's gonna be one bad ass amp! I would like to get me a 50 watter but I really don't have much use for it since my sound is more the kt66 then el34.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 09 Dec 2008, 05:03

surfnorthwest wrote:
I will get some clips posted once the amp and ultimate attenuator show up.
Please do, and consider at least once to plug it straight into your G12H100 cab (or even better, a full stack) and crank it to 10. I guarantee you'll be impressed. 8)

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 09 Dec 2008, 05:44

Please do, and consider at least once to plug it straight into your G12H100 cab (or even better, a full stack) and crank it to 10.
I don't think my insurance policy would cover my home for something like that.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”