bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Nos Blues Jr

Postby bluesbrother » 22 Feb 2009, 00:06

Good choice Faze,
I played this amp once in the tweed with jensen speaker ( 2 years ago )and i was also quite
surprised with the volume (much louder than a 1974x to my ears.)
The reason i did not buy it was that it sounded a little boxey
to me .How much did i know then..... normal for such a compact combo.( maybe running 2 in stereo...)
Faze i am really curious how it would sound through the 425A cab. :roll:
A amp that surprised me also and is very loud is a peavey delta blues.With its big 15 inch speaker
it sounds just as big as a half stack.
This way you can keep your amps and have a solution in the mean time, maybe you like it so
much and keep it this way.I play my amps at home but if i had to carry them around very often i would look also
for a more portable amp.......
Congrats,
Bluesbrother.
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

crossroadsnyc
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 29 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby crossroadsnyc » 22 Feb 2009, 06:51

I bought the same NOS model like a year ago ... they are nice little amps. I thought the tone was better than expected (definitely better than the stock black version), and the tweed was just icing on the cake - very sharp! Problem was that I think I bought it more for the looks than the tone, so it got very little attention and I wound up selling it. Never the less, those tweed amps are some of my favorite looking ... congratulations, man!

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 22 Feb 2009, 11:08

I believe the only difference between the NOS version and the regular is the speaker. But that is also a big difference. I have the regular version and ran it through my Avatar 2x12 with G12H30s and it definitely surprises me every time!
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 22 Feb 2009, 15:10

I sold a little Blues Jr (lacquered tweed with Jenson speaker) that I liked. Money was a little short at the time and I had 6 or 7 amps at the time. So I figured that I could part with it. I was planning a move too. I later regretted sellng it and maybe a year later I bought one just like it. Still got it.

Great little amp for the money. The bias is set a little hot. If I had to sell one of my amps again, this one would probably be the first on the chopping block again. I have 2 other amps I would prefer to sell, but I wouldn't get anything for them. The Blues Jr NOS Lacquered Tweed seems to hold its value pretty well.
The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

crossroadsnyc
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby crossroadsnyc » 22 Feb 2009, 18:59

I don't know that I'd agree that it's louder than the 1974x. I have a 1974x (my favorite amp ever...ever), and when on full tilt, the 1974x is in a completely different league than the BJ - including volume. My guess is that you may think it's louder since the volume control on the BJ goes from whisper quiet to very loud nearly immediately, whereas the 1974x allows you to gradually add volume (which may give the illusion that the BJ is a louder amp).

crossroadsnyc
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby crossroadsnyc » 22 Feb 2009, 19:04

Here's my favorite BJ clip from youtube:

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bluesbrother » 22 Feb 2009, 22:11

crossroadsnyc wrote:Here's my favorite BJ clip from youtube:
From this guy i know his sound comes mostly from his guitar.He sounds exactly
the same through a SS marshall. I liked his clip where he cranked his marshall
bluesbreaker.He also :shock: cranked a fender twin!!!! Somebody offered big
money for his les paul>> so he sold it.He bought a brand new les paul but i
think he never sounded the same.........
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

crossroadsnyc
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby crossroadsnyc » 22 Feb 2009, 23:01

bluesbrother wrote:
crossroadsnyc wrote:Here's my favorite BJ clip from youtube:
From this guy i know his sound comes mostly from his guitar.He sounds exactly
the same through a SS marshall. I liked his clip where he cranked his marshall
bluesbreaker.He also :shock: cranked a fender twin!!!! Somebody offered big
money for his les paul>> so he sold it.He bought a brand new les paul but i
think he never sounded the same.........
The more money someone offers you for your gear, the more of a reason it is to hold onto it.

crossroadsnyc
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Re: 1974X

Postby crossroadsnyc » 23 Feb 2009, 00:07

faze wrote:
crossroadsnyc wrote:I don't know that I'd agree that it's louder than the 1974x. I have a 1974x (my favorite amp ever...ever), and when on full tilt, the 1974x is in a completely different league than the BJ - including volume. My guess is that you may think it's louder since the volume control on the BJ goes from whisper quiet to very loud nearly immediately, whereas the 1974x allows you to gradually add volume (which may give the illusion that the BJ is a louder amp).
Crossroadsnyc I have heard so amy great things about the 1974X mainly how awesome the tone is.

Just out of curiousity
did you ever have any problems with the transformer on yours? I heard some horror stories about that amps reliability
isues with the transformers burning up on them frequently. Still word on the street is that amp has the Holy Grail tone :wink: :D

I still want to check one out eventually hopefully Gc will get a used one in one of these days.
I heard the same horror stories that you did and it scared me off for a while. I couldn't get the tone out of my head though - so I did some research beyond what I read on Harmony Central/etc., and it was explained to me that the transformer issues were addressed after either the first or second run. So if you are eyeing a used one, I'd probably look into the history of the amp and see if falls into the first or second run and whether or not it has a history of transformer problems. Even still, I don't know if it would scare me away all together since it's a problem you can fix. If the amp is new, I wouldn't be concerned at all. I run mine pretty hard and pretty often and I haven't had the slightest problem.

As for the tone...the word on the street is pretty solid. I should mention right now that I actually just walked away from this response for 10 or 15 minutes so that I could try and come up with a good way to describe the tone to you...but I'm a loss for words. It's that good.

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 23 Feb 2009, 07:19

Blues Juniors are terrific little amps, I wish I had one as a small easily carried amp. I've used one quite a bit at church, for gigging and practice, and it was always a pleasure. Most of the other Fender stuff leaves me flat though, especially the Hot Rod Deluxe (ugh!!)

BNS
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby BNS » 23 Feb 2009, 08:24

crossroadsnyc wrote:
faze wrote:
crossroadsnyc wrote:I don't know that I'd agree that it's louder than the 1974x. I have a 1974x (my favorite amp ever...ever), and when on full tilt, the 1974x is in a completely different league than the BJ - including volume. My guess is that you may think it's louder since the volume control on the BJ goes from whisper quiet to very loud nearly immediately, whereas the 1974x allows you to gradually add volume (which may give the illusion that the BJ is a louder amp).
Crossroadsnyc I have heard so amy great things about the 1974X mainly how awesome the tone is.

Just out of curiousity
did you ever have any problems with the transformer on yours? I heard some horror stories about that amps reliability
isues with the transformers burning up on them frequently. Still word on the street is that amp has the Holy Grail tone :wink: :D

I still want to check one out eventually hopefully Gc will get a used one in one of these days.
I heard the same horror stories that you did and it scared me off for a while. I couldn't get the tone out of my head though - so I did some research beyond what I read on Harmony Central/etc., and it was explained to me that the transformer issues were addressed after either the first or second run. So if you are eyeing a used one, I'd probably look into the history of the amp and see if falls into the first or second run and whether or not it has a history of transformer problems. Even still, I don't know if it would scare me away all together since it's a problem you can fix. If the amp is new, I wouldn't be concerned at all. I run mine pretty hard and pretty often and I haven't had the slightest problem.

As for the tone...the word on the street is pretty solid. I should mention right now that I actually just walked away from this response for 10 or 15 minutes so that I could try and come up with a good way to describe the tone to you...but I'm a loss for words. It's that good.
I've always been curious about this amp. Is it that good at low volumes or only when cranked?

crossroadsnyc
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby crossroadsnyc » 23 Feb 2009, 08:50

BNS wrote:
crossroadsnyc wrote:
faze wrote:

Just out of curiousity

I've always been curious about this amp. Is it that good at low volumes or only when cranked?

Well, since it only has a volume & tone knob, you really do have to crank it for optimal sound. What's nice though, is that at 18w it's very manageable - can be used anywhere from the bedroom to any gig size imaginable (of course you would want to mic it for a large venue).

Word of warning: once played you won't get the tone out of your head until you get one.

I feel like I hijacked this thread w/my earlier comment .... sorry faze!

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bluesbrother » 23 Feb 2009, 10:51

I've always been curious about this amp. Is it that good at low volumes or only when cranked?[/quote]

Funny thing with this amp when i had it was....
I had a zoom G2.1tt soundprocessor and that thing sucked mayor tone in front
of an amp but strangely enough not with this amp.I do not know why ...maybe it only
has volume and tone???The gain range works the same as with most marshalls :>>>
the reason i sold it was that the cleanheadroom was too little.The BJ has way more headroom but
is also a more cleaner amp.BJ for clean and a 1974X for overdrive ..... :wink:
I decided to get its big brother Vernet FLV45( handwired JTM45-KT66).If i want portable i get a 1x12 Cab.
To get an idea , my vernet is just as loud as my vintage modern .
I always played 1x12 and 2x12 combos. I even bought a VM combo but because of problems
with the last one i took the 4x12 . Now i like it so much that i would not go back.
The 1974 X was designed for use as a bedroom or studio amp and that is what it is.
My Vm with the mastervolume at 10.30 oclock and body 5 detail 7 is a cranked 1974X.
The 1974 X is not boxey sounding though.
Both the blues junior and the 1974X are very good amps ....it are the same differences as with other
fender and marshalls. :?
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Nos Blues Jr

Postby bluesbrother » 12 Mar 2009, 22:42

faze wrote:I ended up returning this amp it just sounded too boxy for me in live situations. Still it is a great practice amp. :Thumbs
Sorry , to hear that ....( i will not say :" I told you so....." :Bounce )
The 1974X will not please you also in a live situation, especially when you are
used to a Vibro King or 50 watt plexi.... :eek
I listened to your CD about 4 times and as you know i am convinced you will get far!!! :clap
Thanks again mate!
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”