Moderator: longfxukxnhair

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

New amp next week

Postby lowenzz » 11 May 2009, 18:51

I found a cool little music gear only pawn shop. They had a ton of amps, lots of old rack gear, drum sets, etc.

Well I came across a DSL 50, not a scratch I could find anywhere, took the back off, tubes look to be good. WingC power tubes. All pots(scratch free) and switches seem to work good. No FS, not a big issue for me anyways. date says Feb 2004. Sounded pretty good during my 5 minute test drive through an old sacked out no name cab.

Well I got him down to $590.00, started at 750. I searched a few craigslists and ebay adds. If the thing holds up I think I got a decent deal on it. I find them listing for around 750-900. I am looking forward to bringing it home. Although I am a hesitant and :ball kick jaded used gear buyer.

I'll put up a review and pics down the road here. Oh and this will be my first EL34 amp :whatever
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: New amp next week

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 May 2009, 08:37

Good find, I sold my DSL 100 recently here to another member. The DSL really is a classic rock amp, pretty easy to get good cleans and gain from it. So important to bias it right though, that amp more than others I have owned will really sound bad when the bias is off.

No need for expensive tubes in that amp the TungSols work great as do the KT77s. The mercury tranny mod is also money well spent on that amp. It will pair up nicely with the VM
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”