Moderator: longfxukxnhair

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Blackstar HT-5?

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 30 Oct 2010, 19:05

Anybody have any experience with the Blackstar HT-5? Is it class a or class ab?
The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

KevinOConnor
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Re: Blackstar HT-5?

Postby KevinOConnor » 27 Jan 2011, 10:10

Hi Guys

It is single-ended, so it is class-A.

Operating class is kind of irrelevant inasmuch as you should just concern yourself with the tone rather than how it is attained.

If ethics are of any concern, you might boycot Blackstar, Bugera and Behringer.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Vinny » 27 Jan 2011, 11:20

KevinOConnor wrote: If ethics are of any concern, you might boycot Blackstar, Bugera and Beringer
+1!
And Cort,...
In fact all brands with low-price politic...

dos
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby dos » 27 Jan 2011, 13:24

Had it for a weekend. Tried NOS tubes too. No character or soul. Didn´t sound bad, just wasn´t anything about it to like. IMHO.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 30 Jan 2011, 20:33

Vinny wrote:
KevinOConnor wrote: If ethics are of any concern, you might boycot Blackstar, Bugera and Beringer
+1!
And Cort,...
In fact all brands with low-price politic...
And let us not forget (or forgive) Danelectro for ripping off Paul Cochran & Mike Fuller.

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Ex-Mesa » 31 Jan 2011, 04:57

I was trying out some 7 strings in a shop using a HT-5. It had a ripping high gain sound. I would have liked to have oned, if I needed a small amp. I don't know anything about them, but the Blackstar prices were high; not manufactured by low cost labour I suspect.
With great distortion comes great responsibility.
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 17 Feb 2011, 13:04

Tried it... for a practice amp it is great... particularly if you can connect it to a more "proper" cabinet.
The combo with the speaker that comes along sound just thin a boxy. Got better sound plugging headset through the emulated output.
But with a proper cabinet it sounds a whole lot better. I tried it with a 1x12 Cornford cabinet... I didn't catch what type, but I do believe it was Celestion Vintage 30 in it or something up that road.
KevinOConnor wrote:Hi Guys
If ethics are of any concern, you might boycot Blackstar, Bugera and Behringer.
May I ask why?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 Feb 2011, 14:51

I don't know the facts or the whole story but from what I have read it sounds like what we have in Blackstar are disgruntled former Marshall Employees that decided to become a competitor to a company they worked for. I don't know about the UK but in the US you can really be sued for doing something like this if it can be proved you jacked proprietary designs or methods. This is my guess perhaps someone can clear it up more.

One thing for sure is the team Marshall has today of Steve Dawson and Santiago Alverez have brought us amps such as

Class 5
Vintage Modern
JMD1
Super 100JH
JTM45/100
JVM
AFD100
YJM100

So if their departures opened the door for those amps to come to the consumer I say don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Check this out
Blackstar debuted at Musikmesse in March 2007 with a line of five effects pedals. Amplifiers followed in November and their first products made it to the U.S. on GC’s Platinum Store shelves in January 2008

Blackstar’s staff now includes six former Marshall insiders. Among them: Ian Robinson, former Marshall R&D Director, and Bruce Kier, former Marshall Technical Director.

“There’s no doubt that if you’re into rock guitar then working for Marshall is probably the best job in the world,” said Blackstar Artist Relations Manager Joel Richardson (also a former Marshall guy). Which begs the question, why leave? “As a team we had lots of ideas for products we knew wouldn’t be right for Marshall, and over time we slowly came to the realization that the only way we would ever bring those designs to fruition would be to do them ourselves,” Joel explained.

When the team of four made a massive departure from Marshall, they pursued these ideas and their two patent-applied-for technologies were developed
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 17 Feb 2011, 16:27

Kevin wasn't specific about his allegations but he did cast heavy aspersions on those companies. It could easily be a case of sour grapes. He has also cast aspersions on individuals like Dana Hall and a few times on Marshall itself. Without more concrete facts, I wouldn't take that as the gospel. As for Blackstar, Bugera, and Behringer, they seem to be still there selling their wares so either they haven't broken the law or they have good lawyers (is good lawyer an oxymoron?). It's not libel if it's true so maybe Kevin should come out and say just what it is that's unethical about those companies. Maybe they employ 10 year old Pakastani children at $0.02/hr to assemble their stuff. There's a long list of companies doing unethical stuff for that matter.

It's one of the oldest stories in the world for talented, enterprising, (or sometimes unscrupulous) people to decide to leave and give a try to starting their own business based on something they've learned about from other established "masters". It is not necessarily a bad thing or done with evil intentions. It is often a good thing if the entrepreneurs actually have some original ideas they want to pursue.

Of course it's wrong when somebody simply copies or steals proprietary information and uses it in their product. And it is illegal when the information is protected by copyright and patent law but even the biggest most established companies get as close to line as possible in "adapting ideas" without being liable for infringement. It's bad when it's a case of "stealing the Rolodex" and trying to steal away customers from the former employer based on previous relationships. That is unethical but it happens all the time especially in sales based organizations. My company has been doing industrial design for 15 years and I've seen it all, in fact been an "expert witness" a few times for companies we've contracted with (on either side of the issue). Sometimes claims are valid and some not. Sometimes it's a grey area. I would never condone or defend intellectual theft because we deal in ideas and relationships ourselves. But just somebody saying so doesn't always mean it's true. There are a lot of sharks out there in the business world, big and small.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Papus
Paid to Shit
Paid to Shit
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 896 times

Postby Papus » 17 Feb 2011, 20:50

I don't believe the Blackstar guys intended to rip-off or clone Marshall.... the Blackstar tone is very different from Marshall, in a good way.
I would describe Blackstar as "thick and creamy, modern shine" whilst Marshall is more "authoritive and grainy" (grainy, like good grain in a high contrast photographic print, like hyper-reality).
I own the HT-5 Combo, and yes, it's boxy, but plug in a 4x12 and it screams and punches above its weight.
It's highly versatile - will go from early AC/DC crunch to modern metal (with a boost pedal, though not much is required).
The FX loop is handy if that's your cup of tea (I'm a non-MV dime the amp kind of guy).

Yes, there are many other lunchbox amps out there, each based on a different set of goals and compromises.
The HT-5 is the best all-round bedroom amp, IMHO.
Dime that puppy!!!

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby frank9310 » 17 Feb 2011, 21:23

Politics aside, I tried one of the I think Series One 100 heads into a 4x12 cab and I must say it was raging pristine high gain reminiscent of Trower's 2005 LOOT tones with velvety smooth gain, endless sustain, beaitiful cut and highly reactive to picking in clean or overdrive modes. The cleans sounded great as well. If I didn't already have too many amps, I'd have bought one and run it in stereo with my VM 2466 or JTM45/100 clone.

Downside, they are not cheap though they are a tad lower than Marshall prices, except for their high end units. In the end, I'd stick with Marshall for all the obvious reasons.
"It may take talent to play fast, but it takes SOUL to say something between the notes....."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be..." ~ Abe Lincoln

http://www.facebook.com/frank93101
http://www.facebook.com/areyouexperiencedband

Band page http://areyouexperienced.net/RobinTrowe ... clips.html

Electronic Press Kit (EPK) http://www.gigmasters.com/presskit.aspx?id=62115

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JkGriffin » 18 Feb 2011, 13:38

Thanks for answers...

I must admit that I don't share that ethics... given that I understand you correct. If I decide to start up a competitive company to my employer, then nobody can (nor should) stop me (except my financial situation and lack of customers of course).
I can bring all my knowledge (that I've gained while working at my current and earlier employers) to my new company.
It definitely wouldn't be fair if only people with no work experience can start up companies in order not to offend earlier employers.

Now the Blackstar have a pretty good emulated output for those who want to practice guitar playing in a less than soundproof apartment, and if they used Marshall's work hours to make that design, then yes... I agree... it's not ethical and you can get sued for it the design morally and legally belongs to Marshall.
This is an if... I have no idea how they did this or what the true story behind it is.

If they had an idea that Marshall didn't let them work on, so they quit and did it on their own... then Marshall really have nothing to say. Legally or morally.
But that's where I come from. I believe UK is not that different from here in Norway on that point actually.

I know ever since I heard of Blackstar that they were earlier Marshall employees... but I never would have guessed.
I don't think they sound remotely like Marshall in any way... more like a hybrid between a fender, ENGL and Mesa. These three do their things a lot better than Blackstar does, but still... (I've only tried the HT series mind you).
So I'm not so sure that Marshall really lost anything... and I don't think Marshall cry about it either... so I don't really see an issue.
I could be mistaken of course... :think

KevinOConnor
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby KevinOConnor » 24 Feb 2011, 16:49

Hi Guys

The ethical points have all been covered more or less:

Behringer is an outright thiff, copying everything created by others and occasionally coughing up a new product of his own. Bugera is just Behringer in not-sued-yet-by-the-FCC clothing.

The Blackstar guys ran off with Marshall's vendor list, distribution channels and production methods. It is not simply a matter of them competing with a former employer. On top of that, Blackstar stole its patented technology from my books and also walk all over Zimmerman's patents.

I've already detailed what is up with Hall and Skip so do not need to repeat it again here.

One of the goals in producing the books we have is to make sure that all the cool ideas are not restricted to use by a single individual or company. This means Blackstar's power reduction patent is essentially worthless, as are many of Randall Smith's patents. I have no rpoblem with legitimate patents, and the fault of the illegitmate does not all lie with the applicant. Much of the blame rests with the USPTO, who operates on a profit-center basis rather than any altruistic footing.

Obviously, the kids working for 2-cents a day is not an issue to most people or there wouldn't be 500 Walmart stores.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 24 Feb 2011, 17:19

One of the goals in producing the books we have is to make sure that all the cool ideas are not restricted to use by a single individual or company. This means Blackstar's power reduction patent is essentially worthless, as are many of Randall Smith's patents. I have no rpoblem with legitimate patents, and the fault of the illegitmate does not all lie with the applicant. Much of the blame rests with the USPTO, who operates on a profit-center basis rather than any altruistic footing.
Very interesting
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JkGriffin » 25 Feb 2011, 16:35

KevinOConnor wrote:
Kevin,

This was interesting...
I'm pretty new to this forum and may not know who you are or what you do... but could you please refer to this book of yours?

A few comments though... hope you don't take it the wrong way. Not trying to argue... just learn.
Behringer do prove that a copy never will be as good as the original though... so... :roll

When it comes to the Blackstar guys... I'm not really sure if I understand what you are actually saying.
If I were to quite my current job and start a competitive company, I would of course use the network that I've got to help me succeed and approach both customers and sub-suppliers that I already know.
As I understand you, this is equal to running off with vendors list and distribution channels. Hell... I would even call old colleagues that I believe could be an asset to the new company.
This I would do after my relationship with my current employer is terminated though.

I have good experience in what I do and I got ideas on how to make things better, but it takes time to have a rather large company to implement new ideas when the way we work shall apply globally.
In a company I would start, I would put these ideas into good use as soon as it is beneficial to do so, but also use all of my experience and knowledge to make a profit.
This would be equal to running off with the production methods.

Or am I missing something here?

You can't expect former Marshall guys who want to start up on their own to just forget about their contacts around and forget what they have learned.
That is unreasonable... unless you are meaning that they didn't have a network but stole information they are not entitled to of course... in that case it's espionage :Pirate2

With regards to patents... I have no idea about their patents or the patents you talk about... so I'll take your word for it...
And applying for patents on something not theirs is not good.... agree unconditionally on that one.

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”