[youtube][/youtube]

Crunchifyable
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Marshall Class 5 Owner Needs Help!

Postby Crunchifyable » 28 Oct 2011, 16:11

I think I read about this on the Marshall or MLP forums (think the second one).

I'm not sure what he can do to fix it. I understand he was doing mods to it (fairly simple tone stack / input mods suggested by Lyle) that shouldn't have broken it. But there's always a risk of messing things up...quite scary.

if I were him, I'd put it back to stock, and then look for bad solder joints, broken connections, etc.

I wonder if something isn't grounded. Horrible noise can be caused by no ground, or interference, but interference is usually intermittant I think.

I have an old tube radio with noise like that, but still can get signal thru, I assume from either a bad ground or, more likely, aged filter caps. But I'm sure the signal caps have also aged as well.

So maybe one of the caps he added is bad? or just simply not connected.

I know it would suck to check literally every joint and circuit in the amp. On the bright side, it's only a class 5, the pcb is (deceptively) simple.

Anyway, I know I'm not much help. It's scary as I said. I'm a tinkerer too, but not quite a modder yet, because I'm afraid something like this might happen.

If I had a class 5 (sort of working on getting one...), I'd want to mod it, but not unless I really knew what I was doing.

It might be a lesson to do one mod at a time, test, then do the next :). That way, it's a little easier to see where you may have messed up.

FuzzMonkey
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Postby FuzzMonkey » 28 Oct 2011, 19:16

Just randomly came across the clip on YouTube, thought maybe someone here could help. I did leave a comment for him and a link to this forum.

BadBluesPlayer
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby BadBluesPlayer » 31 Oct 2011, 04:51

Ha!

Good luck to that guy!! He won't figure out what he's done unless he stumbles upon something.

It's a learning process. Good thing he messed up a $400. amp instead of a $1,500. amp.

Return to “Marshall Class 5”