Marshall Class 5

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

djw171
CODE #1 Owner
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 86 times

What to do with the Class 5?

Postby djw171 » 18 Jun 2014, 06:27

Ok, so I’m not one to let an internet forum influence my decision making but I’m juggling with the idea of parting with my C5, and from my previous posts on the Roadhouse it’s full of great guys all willing to help..so here goes... I’ve had the Class 5 since they first came out. Did a couple of mods to remove the ‘rattle’ (added support bars to the chassis and O rings to the valves). I also purchased a green C110 cabinet made for me by the custom shop and ran an additional speaker extension out so both speakers operate (at 8ohm). Its loud! We all know that anyway. I do also have a MiniMass which I sometimes run and although that does have a 3db and 6db boost on there, it does suck some tone.

I really like Reverb on my tone and have tried a couple of different pedals (HOF being one) in front, but it just doesn’t sound pleasing to me. The amp without any pedals and minimass is way too loud to crank fully open in the house to achieve an overdrive sound I like. I have a few OD / Distortion pedals on my board but again still not what I like when I put them in front.

As a comparison I have the DSL-1, 1 Watter with a HOF Reverb and MXR Carbon Copy in the loop. I run this into a Marshall MX212 cabinet. Sounds great. Also have a JCM600 head, (underrated IMO), with separate spring reverb control for both channels into a Marshall 8412 cabinet (uses Celestion G12L-35). I know neither cabinet may be favourites of many here and I’m sure they could use better speakers, however they both sound good to my ears and my style of playing.

Guitar wise, I have all the usual variations. My main of choice is a Les Paul with BurstBucker pros fitted. Although this makes it sound more muddy. A P90 Les Paul does sound somewhat better.

You watch many videos of the Class 5 online, there is one on You Tube a guy reviewing a Joe Bonamassa Epi and a Class 5, and the sound very clearly has reverb added, so it’s not a true reflection of the tone.

A local amp tech has offered to add an effects loop. His suggestion was “just after the treble control before the signal goes further into the amp”..any thoughts on that?

Would a different set of tubes help? Any suggestions?
It’s a really cool looking rig and I like the concept of it, but I’m starting to think if I’m not switching it on because the sound is not ‘pleasing’ than is it time..or is there something i can do to improve it. If you have a tone you like, I really think it goes to helping you play better.

Thanks guys
Dave
Attachments
$_21.jpg
$_21.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 2092 times

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2477 times

Re: What to do with the Class 5?

Postby Cousin Muely » 18 Jun 2014, 06:33

Have you thought about trying a Badcat Unleash? It has a loop and that would place all your time based effects completely post amp.

djw171
CODE #1 Owner

Postby djw171 » 18 Jun 2014, 06:49

Thanks Cousin. Is that a better unit than the Minimass you think?

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 18 Jun 2014, 07:28

I haven't tried the Minimass. I was just thinking the Unleash provides a loop for any amp that doesn't have one. I had designed a small PA system around the Class 5 just because I wanted Time Based Effects but not in front of the amp. I'm like you in thinking the Class 5 sounds best the less you put in front of it. I like mine cranked so Reverb, Delay or whatever is not something I prefer in front in that situation. Then the Unleash came out and simplified all that. I have one but I haven't had the chance to really try it out with everything yet but I like what I have heard so far. I'm not using it for any attenuation though.

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 18 Jun 2014, 07:33

Aristotle Here Is Who Really sold me on it. He's used it for some attenuation on some of his bigger amps and found it no better ir no worse than most others. I like it for its transparency for additional volume and it's loop of course. I mainly bought it for the 1 watts.

Jwalkin
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 1467 times
Been liked: 1370 times

Postby Jwalkin » 18 Jun 2014, 08:25

For reference here's a Bad Cat video; end of video demos a wet/ dry set up via extension cab

I was Jwalkin when it hit me

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul
Has Liked: 87 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby aristotle » 18 Jun 2014, 09:31

Hi Dave,

I'd recommend the Unleash with the C5, but my only hesitation is that it costs more than the C5 itself. I use it with the C5 mainly as a re-amper giving the C5 more headroom at gig-ish levels which works out great. I can't say for sure how well the Unleash would compare to the minimass as an attenuator, but I'm guessing that it'd be as good or better, and it gives you a really convenient loop. It's just pricey though...

djw171
CODE #1 Owner

Postby djw171 » 18 Jun 2014, 10:02

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I was just looking at the BatCat. There is a store not too far has one in stock $399, which as you say Aristotle is the price or there abouts of the C5 itself.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Jun 2014, 17:54

djw171 my advice is just let the amp go. While there is probably no financial need to sell it there is nothing wrong with out growing an amp. Many of us buy amps and after a period of time discover our needs have changed or our desire for something more results in new purchases. Let someone else enjoy the amp.

Today there are many low wattage options, any of Marshall's 1 watt amps are perfect for home use. I use my Kemper through some studio monitors and get great sound at very low volume. Thing is amps are made for live performance, you have many other options for home use and practice where volume is a concern.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

zen
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby zen » 21 Jun 2014, 02:10

i second surf.
... very 'commonsensible' advice
... they look good, though, don't they :)
--==[ Fender's were made to tame Marshall's ]==--
Hwy1
Blacktop
C5-01 + C110
Krank

Alpeggio
Secret Blueser
Secret Blueser
Has Liked: 5144 times
Been liked: 3146 times

Postby Alpeggio » 21 Jun 2014, 03:59

Hi Dave, the Class 5 was a funny amp really, who was it aimed at? too loud for home use and not quite loud enough to gig with. Also on the first two versions, the EQ was all wrong. Having to roll the bass off like that makes you wonder who tested it before it was OK'ed for production.
I had a modded MK3 version with London power reduction on it, but even this altered the tone badly, only when fully cranked at full power was this amp Great.

My advice is get the FX loop fitted, this will give you some sort of volume drop option like they do with the Vintage Modern, as well as the Reverb and Delay options you Need. These FX will so enhance your sound that lowering the volume with a pedal in the loop (like Sully does with the MXR 10 band graphic set to lower the volume going into the power section) will still sound good for home use.
I would hate to see you sell this great amp and cab, you always regret selling a Marshall, I wish I could have my 900/ 401c/JVM410c back!!!
Al
SV20 Plexi, JTM45, YJM plexi, KK800, JTM60, JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1.

shaun
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 22 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby shaun » 21 Jun 2014, 18:06

Try a JJEL844 valve. They lower the volume only slightly, but seem to overdrive the amp sooner with a bit more compression.
Otherwise, an attenuator.
"Anyway, I see this forum isn't too happening, but hopefully I'll get some responses." Sully

"I find the above statement offensive. Funny, but offensive. No offense intended by my comments." Shaun

zen
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby zen » 21 Jun 2014, 20:28

to be honest you shouldn't have to do all this stuff to an amp.
if an amp doesn't perform the way i want it to then i dump it.
i don't have any qualms about nostalgia.
they're just tools.
i don't even thin k much of 10" speakers

what you give up someone else can really enjoy.
i've given up stuff but other people have really clicked to it.
i bought a bugera once and started sounding country but the guy i sold it to was exactly what he wanted.
--==[ Fender's were made to tame Marshall's ]==--
Hwy1
Blacktop
C5-01 + C110
Krank

Torshalla
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2638 times
Been liked: 1527 times

Postby Torshalla » 22 Jun 2014, 00:59

I would also recommend you to sell...
I also looked at buying a Class 5, but as many have written before, it is way too loud for home use. And if you are gigging it is probably not enough...
I bought a SL5 thinking that with the master volume and the 1 watt mode it would allow me to get great tones at home volume and found out I got to play it with master on 2 or 3 to avoid being evicted... so I can't get the tones I am after from it... Result: I use it as a CAB for my AFD100 which thanks to its 0.1 watt power deduction gives me all the tones I want.
I would recommend a 100 watt head with power scaling or the 1 waters which as Surf is doing can then be slaved into fx loops for more power when needed...

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 22 Jun 2014, 06:02

It is too loud I guess! I use one watter at home and it gets too loud too.
I understand why Marshall offers 0.1W option. Very clever.
I'm gonna get mayself one.
:dunno

Return to “Marshall Class 5”