Moderator: longfxukxnhair

rvin28
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Marshall Class 5 - revalve

Postby rvin28 » 05 Dec 2009, 11:15

I have just taken the plunge and revalved my Class 5 with 2 x Ei ECC83 (Yugoslavian) and a Mullard EL84 (made in UK)

What a difference to the stock valves, I have fallen in love with my Strat all over again!

As it seems louder and distorts sooner but now I'm not so sure about the standard speaker thats fitted to it. Although it sounds excellent at low to mid volumes it doesn't sound great when really cranked up (and I don't want to push it too hard) it almost sounds 'farty' (like it can't handle the signal going through it).

I may consider changing the preamp tubes to Mullards too and possibly replace the speaker with something a bit more gutsy.

Good news though - amps not rattling!

:clap :fart

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Marshall Class 5 - revalve

Postby SteveD » 06 Dec 2009, 04:24

Is the speaker fully broken in yet?

It is more than capable of handling the Class 5's power output. Give it a little more time and it should smooth out and settle down.

Play it loud as much as you can if possible.
Still my guitar gently weeps

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 Dec 2009, 07:49

may consider changing the preamp tubes to Mullards
The older Mullards made at the Blackburn factory are by far my favorite preamp tube for all my amps.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

rvin28
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rvin28 » 06 Dec 2009, 10:27

Hi surfnorthwest

I wish you hadn't said that I as I'll now start hunting for some new preamp tubes - have you the seen the price of these!!!!

:eek

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 Dec 2009, 12:22

Yes they are expensive but remember these tubes will last a very long time. There are many counterfeit tubes out there though so make sure that you purchase them from a reputable tube dealer so you get the real deal. You really only need on for the Class 5 anyways, put it into the V1 position.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mullard-12AX7-ECC ... 2a03161c4d
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

rvin28
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rvin28 » 06 Dec 2009, 12:38

I can get hold of NOS Brimar ECC83 at £20 each - any thoughts??

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 Dec 2009, 14:37

The Brimars are eqally good (CV4004), they are the military version of the tube and usally a better buy.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

dido__15
<25
<25

Postby dido__15 » 07 Dec 2009, 07:11

My favourite valves for this amp are 2x NOS JAN/Phillips 5751's in the preamp and a Genalex/Gold Lion Reissue EL84 in the power amp. Gives it much more headroom and it responds much more smoothly to distortion, really shines with pedals.

Averbr
<25
<25

Postby Averbr » 11 Dec 2009, 10:45

This is my first post, so excuse my ignorance. I am on my second Class 5 (rattle noise) and have a third one on the way from Marshall ugh. But when I took my first class 5 into the dealer to find the rattle they replaced the original tubes with Groove Tubes and it sounded great (still had the rattle) so I when I get my new Class 5 (hoping not to have a rattle issue) I am thinking of replacing the tubes, any suggestions?

rvin28
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rvin28 » 12 Dec 2009, 15:21

The units are built to a cost. The tubes that are fitted are ok (they appear to be JJ tubes and I liked the unit 'out of the box' so to speak) but I thought that they could be bettered.

Fitting different tubes is a matter of personal taste, I think that an old stock Mullard EL84 has given the Class 5 a more vintage sound but this might not appeal to everyone.

If you liked the sound of Groove tubes then go for these but of course they will push the price of the overall kit upwards.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 12 Dec 2009, 21:58

:howdy Welcome to the forum Averbr.

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 7 times

Postby ClubAndCountry » 13 Dec 2009, 03:57

Remember that *no* mass-production amp manufacturer can use NOS valves - the supply is too limited and variable, regardless of the cost issue. There are a very few small boutique makers that use them, but they're only producing a handful of amps a year. Anyway, in the sort of market that Marshall are in - where cost is a significant issue as well - most buyers simply don't know or care about what the valves are as long as the amp sounds good out of the box. I know this is a bit harsh, and I certainly don't mean to insult anyone, but frankly most buyers don't even know or care what type of speakers are in their cabinets, and those make a *huge* difference to the tone, far more than the valves do. More knowledgeable customers can then upgrade their valves afterwards - and it does make a significant difference, in my opinion.

Groove Tubes are not an upgrade though - they're just a different (and in some cases, not even different, depending on what type of valves were used in the amp originally) type of modern valves. Groove Tubes are simply a testing/re-labeling company, and the valves are made in the same factories as everyone else's. There's nothing special about them, and if anything I think I've had *more* failures with them than other resellers, although that may just be chance. I would still give kudos to Groove Tubes and their founder Aspen Pittman - along with Mike Matthews of Electro-Harmonix - for kick-starting the modern era of valve production though - without them we might be fighting over the last remaining NOS valves, and large-scale valve amp production of any kind might have stopped in the late 80s or early 90s - it almost looked like it might happen for a while, and Marshall even switched to using 5881s for a few years in the 90s simply because they could not get a reliable supply of EL34s.

Also remember that the Mullard and Tung-Sol "reissues" now available are no more accurate than the reissue amps many companies make - they look similar from the outside and may sound similar, but are significantly different inside - and are actually made in the same former-Communist-country factories that produce the normal junk modern valves. They are *not* the same as the originals, although some of them are pretty nice-sounding by modern valve standards, and aren't anywhere near as reliable as the originals either. JJs seem to be the other way round - they're among the most reliable of modern valves, but don't sound like the old ones... which is either bad or not, depending on what sound you're going for.

Averbr
<25
<25

Postby Averbr » 13 Dec 2009, 09:41

Thanks for the "hello's" Bvin28, Slowpokerrhino and ClubAndCountry. Had my first gig with the Class 5 last night and struggled to get a nice tight sound. I am pushing the amp at about 10 o clock and using a TS808 for the dirty sound. I love the size and weight of this little guy, much easier to tote than my TSl602, but need to dial it in, time I guess. Any experience with types of speakers?

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 7 times

Postby ClubAndCountry » 14 Dec 2009, 08:15

While I only played it for half an hour, that was my impression of the Class 5 speaker as well - that it wasn't tight enough, and couldn't handle the amount of bass the amp was capable of without sounding woofy. I don't think it's a power rating issue, more to do with the damping of the low end. (SteveD, this isn't a bash! Just an honest impression of what I thought it sounded like.) I would really like to hear one with a Celestion G10 VIntage - it's a much tighter, chunkier-sounding speaker than just about any other 10" I know of. My worry is that it's too dark - in my opinion it doesn't really have any sparkle or a great clean tone in anything other than an extremely bright amp. It's very midrangy, which might not be a good thing if you're driving the amp with a midrangy pedal like a TS. But on the other hand it *might* allow you to cut more of the mids out of the amp and push the bass and treble further - it's also very sensitive, so you will get more inherent volume and won't need to turn up the amp volume quite as far.

You could possibly also try an ECC82 valve in one of the preamp positions - these are normally a bit too low gain for most guitar amps, but if the amp has a bit too much gain and too much midrange (or the speaker does) they can be nice - there are some Mesa and Peavey amps which seem to benefit greatly from them for these reasons. I'm not sure which position would be best, try both and see! If you're only running the amp at 10 o'clock, you could easily have a lot less gain and still get the sound you want, you'll just have to turn the knob up further. ECC82s (even NOS ones) are quite cheap and don't require any mod to the amp. A 12AY7 is about halfway in gain between an ECC83 (12AX7) and an ECC82 (12AU7). So is a 12AT7 (ECC81), but I've never much liked these in 'gain' positions, although they make nice phase inverters. All these types have a broader frequency response than 12AX7s too.

exotl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 26 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby exotl » 14 Dec 2009, 14:23

When my Class 5 was brand new, I didn't like the sound - I found it a bit harsh. Then I bought a fretless bass (just for fun), and as I don't own a bass amp, I played it through the little one for a couple of weeks.
When I switched back to guitar, the sound had changed for better - way creamier than out of the box already - so I'll continue to break the G10F-15 in, even if it takes some more time.

Return to “Marshall Class 5”