Moderator: longfxukxnhair

BluesDoggydog
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: ANYONE... need quick info on JCM800

Postby BluesDoggydog » 27 Jan 2012, 04:20

Found 2x of theese in sweden now, bouth have MV mod though which i guess is good for me :) Could you do some recordings with your? i would love to hear how it sounds!

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 27 Jan 2012, 11:31

Well i´ve had two of these. I prefer the JMP version i think the JCM 800 doesn´t sound as good. They sound muddyer and has more thrash in the background. At least the two i had wich i bought new in the 80´s. I´ve had Plexi Reissues and they sound much better i think. A master volume doesn´t work so good on these amps. If you put on a normal Marshall type master after the tone stack you wont get much distortion even with volume on 10. You can put on a PPIMV But it doesn´t sound any good to my ears either. It sounds thinner and fizzyer. The only way is to use an attenuator. Or play very LOUD.

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 10 Mar 2012, 18:10

BluesDoggydog wrote:Found 2x of theese in sweden now, bouth have MV mod though which i guess is good for me :) Could you do some recordings with your? i would love to hear how it sounds!
Hmm... missed this...

I'll see what I can do. I need to re-arrange my setup for it, but I just might.
I wasn't entirely happy with my setup (from guitar, through pedals, amps to speakers), so I sat down adjusted all my pedals one at a time, eliminating three pedals and a PSU. The pedals was set to suit the AFD100, JCM800 and Lil' Elvis in front. No FX-loop. To much hassle... and man...
That JCM is ridiculously close to knocking my Lil' Elvis down from the "JkGriffin favourite amp " throne...
Using a Fender MIJ Stratocaster 1992 upgraded with Dimarzio pickups, through Barber Electronics SS and Retro-Sonic Chorus... Think Gilmour when he go into overdrive... really, really, really f**** sweet.
Jumping the channels of course...

I was thinking maybe selling this to finance a Silver Jubilee, but no way...

Cleans you say... yes it has nice cleans... using the Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive will however give it a-fu**ing-mazing cleans.

And yes... I am using an attenuator so that I don't have to patch up my ears afterwards... using a Dr.Z Airbrake.
It does take away the "push" from the speakers, but it does not really steal any tone... I don't care what some of you say... I tried with and without the attenuation.

So now I'm considering placing the JCM800 1987 in the "recording" corner and move the AFD100 to the "nice to have" corner...

This is so far the greatest Marshall experience I've had so far. Had a friend over today and we've been rocking away bugging the neighbors all day...
Mats A wrote:Well i´ve had two of these. I prefer the JMP version i think the JCM 800 doesn´t sound as good. They sound muddyer and has more thrash in the background. At least the two i had wich i bought new in the 80´s. I´ve had Plexi Reissues and they sound much better i think. A master volume doesn´t work so good on these amps. If you put on a normal after the tone stack master you wont get much distortion even with volume on 10. You can put on a PPIMV nut it doesn´t sound any good to my ears either. It sounds thinner and fizzyer. The only way is to use an attenuator. Or play very LOUD.
Trash in the background??? Noise? Mine is not so noisy... The MV is shit in my amp as well... I had to just put the MV as high as it goes.
Btw... what do you mean with "put on a normal after the tone stack master"? I must admit that I liked it best while clean and use pedals to color the sound any further, so keeping it clean as high as possible could be desirable. Mine starts to break up at 3.5-4 (not that I reach that levels at home normally though)

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 14 Mar 2012, 09:25

Most Marshalls have the master volume placed after the tone stack. While the VM for instance have it after the phase inverter valve.

Return to “Marshall JCM”