Moderator: longfxukxnhair

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

acoustic guitar opinions? Cort earth 1500

Postby DeanM » 18 Jan 2010, 14:00

hi everyone, iv been playing gtar about 5yrs now i think but have never owned an acoustic! iv wanted one at various stages tho! if i was to buy one id wanna get a decent one but at a reasonable price. i looked in my local store once and the ones i wanted wer all around 600ish! which was too much at the time! i saw an add recently with this guitar. the seller said its about 4months old and is around 6-700 in shops. but iv looked online and cant find it for sail anywhere to get a price comparison. the pics look really nice. he's askin 350-450. im fairly sure i could get it for 350.

has anyone played one of these? or hear how they sound? and feel? would it be worth that price?

Pics. . .
on the ebay ireland page.
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Cort-Earth-1500-Acou ... 3359359b56
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

VMGravy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0

Re: acoustic guitar opinions? Cort earth 1500

Postby VMGravy » 18 Jan 2010, 17:35

never played one, but man look at the run out in that top :whatever

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 18 Jan 2010, 17:43

Isn't Cort a budget line?
That doesn't mean it can't be a great sounding/playing guitar, but I wouldn't buy it without testing it in person.

molodoi
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Postby molodoi » 19 Jan 2010, 03:52

I've got a Cort, an acoustic: Cort SF-10

This is a good guitar, at a very reasonable price. In particular, the pre-amp (a Fishman) is excellent. The neck is nice (quite large, a little bit more than a Gibson 50's, I'd say) and the sound (without any amp) is nice.

Here is a sample (from my band new record :whatever ). The rythmn has been recorded with the guitar directly plugged into the mix table. The lead has been recorded in an acoustic way (with two environment mic, if I remember well). No particular effects have been added (except a little bit of reverb):
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/18/ ... oveGun.mp3

I do not know the model you are pointing but it looks quite expensive to me (this is the price I paid for mine, roughly 5 years ago). I'm also quite reluctant in buying a guitar without testing it a little bit. I believe it should sound closely to mine (this is roughly the same range of guitar, except the E1500 is purely acoustic, I think)

Hope this helps :dance
Nous ne sommes ni des mécaniques, ni des possédés, nous sommes pires: libres (Molodoï)

Only a Gibson is good enough

Le Blues, c'est facile. Tu te mets dans un champ et tu cries Image

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 19 Jan 2010, 12:30

Rumor has it that Cort and Samick are the only places all guitars coming out of Korea are made? That said there are alot of other options, the epiphone one's are good, I would recommend getting a solid top at the least when purchasing any acoustic.

The one I am thinking about purchasing soon is a Martin 000-15, fantastic guitars and although I might have messed up my conversion rate should cost around the same price as the Cort you linked? I would check out Martin's line and looked at some websites in the UK showing them having some around the same price. Good Luck man.

hedas46
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Location: West Yorkshire, Birth place..Newcastle upon Tyne...
Has Liked: 5 times

Postby hedas46 » 19 Jan 2010, 13:46

I can't say I've heard of them, but I would recommend a Takamine EAN 10C. That's what I've got and it sounds beautiful. :beerme
www.facebook.com/Hedas46 www.ubetoo.com/grahamehedley Strat..Les Paul Custom..VM.2466..425A..Fender Twin..Line 6 DL4..Ibanez Tubescreamer TS808(Original)..Dunlop Crybaby..NUFF SED...

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 19 Jan 2010, 15:24

Molodoi,
That was very cool! Thanks for posting that.

molodoi
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby molodoi » 19 Jan 2010, 15:34

You're welcome!

I second what Kongels said earlier: your first requirement should be a solid top (which the case for my Cort).
Nous ne sommes ni des mécaniques, ni des possédés, nous sommes pires: libres (Molodoï)

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 20 Jan 2010, 14:58

thanks for the replies everyone.

molodoi, song sounds class!!

VMGravy what do ya mean by "run out in the top"?

and why solid top? sorry but i know Fuck all bout acoustics!! solid top better quality/tone?

cheers!

-- Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:04 pm --

Kongels, yeah i heard that any guitars coming out of korea are from the cort or sammick factories! and iv read good reviews! im gonna ask em can i try it out!! and even tho he said it was 450, if i like it im gonna go home and bid on ebay for 350!! lol

-- Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:38 pm --

UPDATE: I checked the specs. it is a solid top!!! solid engleman spruce! hwat quality that is i dont know! heres the specs. what ya's think?

# BODY STYLE Dreadnought
# CUTAWAY N/A
# CONSTRUCTION Dovetail Neck Joint
# TOP Solid Engelmann Spruce
# BACK Solid Rosewood
# SIDES Rosewood
# NECK Mahogany
# TRUSS ROD Adjustable
# FINGERBOARD
# Rosewood
# INLAY
# Abalone Hexagon Line
# TUNERS
# Grover w/ Black Knobs
# BRIDGE Rosewood
# SOUNDHOLE ROSETTE Abalone
# BINDING Abalone Pearl
# SCALE 25.3" (643mm)
# BODY DEPTH 100 x 125mm
# NUT WIDTH 43mm
# FINISH Gloss
# COLOR NAT
# PICKGUARD Tortoise
# STRING D'Addario EXP11 80/20 Bronze Light

on that site its priced $1095, in the earth range its 2nd from the top after the earth Custom. so its pretty well specked as far as i can see!!

price list here, i think it might be australian dollars?
http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/acoust ... /index.htm

molodoi
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby molodoi » 21 Jan 2010, 11:25

Looks reasonable to me.

My main fear would be to buy a guitar without testing it (that's why i don't like eBay)

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 21 Jan 2010, 13:10

but thats the thing!! the guy who's sellin it also had an add at work!! but the add in work was for 450!! so im gonna get em to bring it into work so i can try it! but then il get it off ebay! for 100 less than what he was askin for it in work! or if i cant try it before tomorrow the auction will end by monday so i might say to him, look il give ya 350 since ya had it ebay for that! cos he doesnt know that i know that its on ebay! he's basically advertisin it in two dif places and for cheaper in one place!

the big risk is tho that if i cant try before the auction ends and i dont bid, someone cud bid last minute! so i dunno whether to just risk it and bid if i cant try it in time! lol cos if i dont bid but say to him il pay 350 he might say no and put it back up for more nxt time!

i might have to just take a chance and go for it! and if it dont work out i cud just try sell it again!

VMGravy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby VMGravy » 21 Jan 2010, 20:06

VMGravy what do ya mean by "run out in the top"?

Run out just means they cut the sounboard wrong, no effect on sound.
When you cut a top (soundboard) you try and cut it perfectly on "quarter"
and straight with the grain, if the block of wood is tilted too far forward or back the grain will actually stand on end on one side of the book matched set. Again no tone loss but night and day discolouration , is that a word???

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 23 Jan 2010, 13:32

oh rite i get ya now VMGravy! yeah i suppose properly book matched top would be much nicer but sure hey the price is great and if it sounds and plays well i can live wit it!!

BTW, i didnt get to try it out as he was away from work, but the auction was to end today so i said F*** it il risk it!! so i won the auction!! i read alot of good reviews n all so fingers crossed!! so yeah i went for it!!!

molodoi
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby molodoi » 14 Feb 2010, 11:16

Did you already receive the guitar? What's your opinion on it?

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 16 Feb 2010, 10:26

Yeah i got the guitar!! about two weeks ago now i think!

its cool! i really like it!! its tough gettin used to the high action tho after only playin electrics till now! action could be a little lower but its not too bad. and its sounds pretty good!! the sustain out of it is also very good!! when i got it home i played a chord and it just flowed out of the guitar!! so yeah im sure there would be other alternatives or better options for an acoustic but I'm pretty happy with it for the price i paid!! i think i got a great deal! i should really post some pics! it looks awesome too!!

the main reason i bought it for was to have at my apartment away from home. for something to play durin the week. cos i only go home at the weekend. and its been great. i'v learnt stuff that aint as good playin on electric! for example i learnt some spanish style guitar last week and a bit of rodrigo y gabriella . . . even learnt a bit of gabriella's style! and this week i learnt stuff like Ten years gone by led zep. so its comin in handy for non electric stuff and iv been learnin a few things!

so yeah it sounds good plays pretty good and i got a good deal so im happy with it!!
Cheers!

Return to “Guitars”