power attenuators

JMP amplifiers, 1959/ 1987/ 1992/ 1986 (non-MV) 2203/ 2204 (MV)

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Marshall Fiend
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 95 times
Been liked: 131 times

power attenuators

Postby Marshall Fiend » 20 Mar 2011, 14:14

I have a handwired reissue 2061x and a Vox Heritage AC15. I run the 2061x through an Avatar cabinet with a 25w greenback, and the AC15 has an Alnico blue speaker in it. Neither amp has a master volume. Occasionally I have the opportunity to crank each amp up without complaints, but I think it's about time that I got one or two power attenuators so that I can best appreciate these amps on a regular basis.

I have looked around and the only two attenuators that I have seen are the Marshall Powerbrake and the THD Hot Plate. I am inclined to get a THD Hot Plate. Each of my speaker options is 16 ohms, so I understand that a Hot Plate or other attenuator should work with a 16 ohm load.

Could any of you please recommend a power attenuator to me? Thanks.
Happiness is playing a Gibson guitar through a Marshall amplifier.

CSJTM145 / JCM1 / 2061X / 2266 / AFD100 / JVM 410H / JCM 900 4102

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Re: power attenuators

Postby JkGriffin » 20 Mar 2011, 14:26

Well... according to an acquaintance of mine (whom I played in a band with some years ago) who owns a guitar store that specialize on vintage and boutique guitar stuff, the Dr.Z Airbrake is the best there is.
He sells them himself of course, but do not import stuff that he can't recommend himself.

He claims that there is no such thing as "no tone loss" when it comes to attenuators, but if you want one, then you want the Dr.Z Airbrake.
I've ordered one of those myself today. I tried it once and it really is good.

[youtube][/youtube]

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby Herbvis » 20 Mar 2011, 18:29

Just checked the website and saw the airbrake lite. That is such a cool thing, mounts inside your amp!! Too bad they dont have the lite in a 100 watt version. I like big guitar toys in a tiny box! :bgrin
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Marshall 1960BV with Rola G1280's
Earthquaker Devices dispatch master
Catalinbread Super Chili picoso Boost HBE Paul gilbert Detox
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator
Roland SRV2000 reverb rack

Onza_Jk
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Onza_Jk » 21 Mar 2011, 19:36

I've got a THD hotplate, it's alright. I find that attenuator's kinda cut the high's, i have to use the bright switch to compensate then use the deep switch to make it not sound as harsh.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson Midtown Custom, Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster.
Amps: Marshall Vintage Modern, Marshall JTM Offset, Vox AC15.
Past Marshalls: 1987x, JVM410H, SL5, JMP1, 1960AX, 1936.

Tnjpekar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Tnjpekar » 31 Mar 2011, 13:13

Marshall powerbrake if you can find one :Thumbs
been using mine with my jmp for 7 years now
wish I had it back in the day, many a sound man would
have hated me a bit less I think :cuss :cuss

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 31 Mar 2011, 17:09

:whatever :whatever :whatever :whatever
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

revrandfaze
Resident Reverend
Resident Reverend
Has Liked: 297 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby revrandfaze » 01 Apr 2011, 20:01

Marshall Fiend wrote:I have a handwired reissue 2061x and a Vox Heritage AC15. I run the 2061x through an Avatar cabinet with a 25w greenback, and the AC15 has an Alnico blue speaker in it. Neither amp has a master volume. Occasionally I have the opportunity to crank each amp up without complaints, but I think it's about time that I got one or two power attenuators so that I can best appreciate these amps on a regular basis.

I have looked around and the only two attenuators that I have seen are the Marshall Powerbrake and the THD Hot Plate. I am inclined to get a THD Hot Plate. Each of my speaker options is 16 ohms, so I understand that a Hot Plate or other attenuator should work with a 16 ohm load.

Could any of you please recommend a power attenuator to me? Thanks.

I have the same amp as you and I use the DR Z Brake light and it works great. The THD sucks tone I had one and sold it. Surf hates attenuators and he can attest to this.
They suck tone! However the Dr Z Brake light or the Airbrake is your best option I use mine at home and it sounds great put it at about 2-3 and you are good to go.
No tone suck at those levels all the way up at 4 and it sounds a bit compressed. You can still get great tone at 2-3. I have two 1/12 cabs they are both Dr Z cabs
one with a G12H 30 and one with a Celestion Gold. I am very happy with the brake light.

sugarkane
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby sugarkane » 02 Apr 2011, 10:38

Never understood the antipathy to attenuators - use a Hot Plate myself. I cannot make the VM sound worse by using it and turning up the MV. By that I mean that all sorts of changes occur as the MV goes up and the Hot Plate steps down its optional volumes decreases - but all of the changes are an improvement on not using attenuation.

YES - attenuation will suck some tone (marginally) but by allowing the MV to increase the benefits far outweigh the downside. By a long way.

Here's a list of items that will suck FAR more tone (but nobody ever grumbles about):

Any pedal ever made and put in front of the amp (I don't mean activated - just in the signal path and off). That includes any with True By-Pass.

The wrong speaker choice (for the VM 9 out 10 being a non-greenback line).

Cheap guitar/amp cables (i.e. probaby less than $100 a pop) - including cheap patch leads.

Recording with an SM57 (the most popular microphone in Rock history and used by every guitar hero ever).

... I could give many other examples ... They all suck tone but it's a balance against benefits added.

This is the point where I have to put "Your mileage may vary".

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 02 Apr 2011, 13:53

I agree with you on most of what you say. I mean who cares if an attenuator changes the tone. Everything affects the tone and change it when set differently. I mean is there such a thing as a true tone as how an amp should sound. The benefit of beeing able to play a 100W 1959 or old 2203 master volume loud is far greater then to play these amps at a low level.

-- Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:06 pm --
JkGriffin wrote:Well... according to an acquaintance of mine (whom I played in a band with some years ago) who owns a guitar store that specialize on vintage and boutique guitar stuff, the Dr.Z Airbrake is the best there is.
He sells them himself of course, but do not import stuff that he can't recommend himself.

He claims that there is no such thing as "no tone loss" when it comes to attenuators, but if you want one, then you want the Dr.Z Airbrake.
I've ordered one of those myself today. I tried it once and it really is good.

[youtube][/youtube]
Is this Dr Z Airbrake a passive or active load? How does it work?

revrandfaze
Resident Reverend
Resident Reverend
Has Liked: 297 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby revrandfaze » 02 Apr 2011, 14:09

Valid points guys no doubt about it you are right on. I agree its great to be able to play your amps at a reasonable volume level and still get good tone.
Nothing personal on the hot plate I had one and compared to the Dr Z I like the Z much better.

Return to “Marshall JMP”