Moderator: longfxukxnhair

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Its finally here

Postby guitarest » 13 Aug 2010, 17:39

The amp got here about two hours ago and my UPS driver really hates me........ lol

Its sitting all pretty on top of the Marshall 4X12 next to the 5150 Half stack and at the risk of sounding like a buttwipe; damn they look sexy next to each other. Had a chance to play for about 2 hours with one of the Iby Prestige guitars (H/S/H) and I am thinking this was a pretty good decision so far with getting the amp.

I am not liking the way to change different modes with the foot pedal by unplugging and plugging back in. Should have some sort of momentary switch by holding 2 buttons down together or something like that rather than current method. I can see that will cause some issues during a gig already.

While I was playing I was able to dial in a really sweet Gilmore "Run like Hell" with delay and chorus on the out of phase position on the 770dx. I was also able to dial in the heavier stuff but for me the true test of a good amp is its ability to play clean and so far I'm impressed.

There is a learning curve here with the amp since I am used to older tube amps and you adjust the preamp to get your tones with no effects built in. I also miss the big huge red Marshall power rocker switch showing a visual that its on. Since this is my first new large amp in over a few decades (last one was the 5150) is this something Marshall does now and did away with that huge red power rocker? The 2203 had one; its just me but I miss that, yeah its a stupid thing maybe. If they still make that switch it should be a pretty easy swap they look to be the same size. Any one know?

Oh one thing for sure I love the ability to record without the power tubes turned on; thats just frigging great. OK I got to run now my pups have been waiting a few hours to take a walk and their eyes are yellow.

I am digging the new amp; c-yall

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Its finally here

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 Aug 2010, 20:56

When you record with it into your DAW using the emulated line out make sure you have on silent record or standby. For some reason I get the true tone this way into my DAW. When I monitor through the speaker cabinet and not my studio monitors the signal sound much more harsh.

Spend some time with her, the tones are there. I start with the eq, preamp volume and gain all at 50% and start fine tuning from there.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 14 Aug 2010, 04:28

It's current company policy that only the UK built amps have the illuminated rockers.
Still my guitar gently weeps

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 14 Aug 2010, 06:10

But I miss my red light................. lol

Its cool also noticed the non English amps don't have the white line around the head either.

So its been a few hours and I have to say one thing for sure its a decent amp. IMO the best effect in the amp has to be the noise gate; I love it. It turns those crackling few pre amps into a very quiet situation. This is a great feature if you ask me and should be in more amps.

OK I'm off to search the part number for that switch............... lol

Jocko

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 14 Aug 2010, 15:26

Hi, jocko! I also love the noise gate. I find it is very useful and works great.

I can't see why switching the footswitch mode would be a problem. It's not something I would need to be doing in a gig. I do wish there was a way to use the "tap tempo" while in "preset store mode", aside from pushing the panel button. Otherwise I can get everything set up the way I want, including the effect loop setting, on one of the presets. I find after having had the amp for a couple of months that I tend to work a lot in manual mode and change things on the panel, but that's cause I usually stick to a certain sound for a particular song. I tend to stick to a few favorite preamps at this point. It would be easier if I only used one guitar but I switch between four guitars a lot and the amp responds differently to them and I like to twist the knobs a lot so...

Still learning things about this amp. For inquiring minds, the power tubes used make a lot of difference in this amp. I've tried Winged "C"s, E34Ls, KT-77s, and a couple of different sets of older Siemens EL34s, and they all offer a different taste in this amp. I'm running a set of Siemens in it because they sound the best to me, especially with the higher gain preamp models, where they give this amp a real creamy classic Marshall flavor with no harshness. I haven't messed around with the driver tube yet. I think that's a Shuaguang and probably a pretty decent tube. Anybody else try out different tubes?

Enjoy! :Cheers
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 14 Aug 2010, 15:34

I am still new to this amp, over all I am very pleased with it. I did order a red rocker switch and white piping for it so it looks closer to the 2203 than what it does now. Yeah its a stupid thing but I love that rocker and white piping.

I am not as familiar to her as you are and maybe the mode switching might not become a issue; although with so many amps out there this is the first time I have ever had to do a physical act like disconnect a cable to switch modes. I have about 10 hours into the amp now (thank god its the weekend) and I am just as motivated with her as I was yesterday when she arrived.

I was thinking about the tubes also although right now I am pretty content with the sound.

Thanks for the advice.

Jocko

Return to “Marshall JMD1”