Well Played
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Some questions about the JMD

Postby Well Played » 11 Jan 2011, 10:27

Hello guys,

I'm new here and I just joined a beginning band and still have to buy an amp. The things I have read about this amp got me really excited and the soundclips sound good to me as well. I want to choose between the Peavey Vypyr 60 or the JMD50(head or combo version, head probably with a 1936 cab).
The sound territory where we are gonna land is probably somewhere between, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold and Alter Bridge. The thing is none of these bands use a marshall as their main sound and I am afraid the JMD is not built for that kind of music.
Tonewise I like The Smashing Pumpkins, Alter Bridge, Silversun Pickups, Muse, Avenged Sevenfold and some John Mayer. I think the Peavey is more in the ballpark for the sound, we as a band are aiming for. I haven't tried out any of these amps yet myself but I came here to seek your advice beforehand, what can you tell me? Will the JMD be able to get a good heavy sound?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Some questions about the JMD

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Jan 2011, 11:11

No problem getting heavy tones from the JMD1. Really makes a great gig amp because of the many tones it does so well. You also will be able to save up to 28 of those custom settings and recall them with the footswitch. The noise gate and delay built in is great, other effects also very good. Amp sounds very good.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Some questions about the JMD

Postby guitarest » 11 Jan 2011, 12:47

Well Played:

I am a very active musician on the Miss Gulf Coast and my JMD does exactly what your asking except for a few of those stars but also add others. I have had zero issues with the amp and it goes from a very clean tune like December (Collective Soul) to Feel like I do (Drowning Pool) and just jumps right into Nightmare by Avenge.

I like the Peavey and have owned a original 5150 for 2 decades now and this used to be my power house although the JMD (Head/1960A with Greenbacks) plainly kicks the Peavey's butt in sheer options and tones. Personally the head and the 1936 is a way to go IMO since I dislike open back combo's

The effect I love the most on the JMD is the gate; super frigging quiet and then BAMMMMMMMMM its a wonderful option on this head and many others should have it. I hate amps that sound like your making bacon.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Return to “Marshall JMD1”