Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Sebb
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

501 or DSL

Postby Sebb » 03 Jan 2011, 11:36

I am looking to buy my first ever Marshall (w00t!) - something that I've wanted all my life. I was in a band when a teenager and didn't play for years. Now I am old fart in my 40s I've decided that it doesn't matter if I'm very good if I'm playing for myself, so I might as well get what I want and at least have great tone! I got a Strat a few years ago and a little Fender 30W SS amp. Now it's time for the Marshall.

Done almost all my research online (no one seems to have the models I'm interested in in stock - in and around Boston MA). I really want a valve amp, got to be 50W or less (playing in the basement at home), find it hard to justify the JVM / VM price range, TSL is pointless if I'm not playing live (?), AVT - I dunno just seems to cheap to be right?? Want to buy new because I don't have time to mess around with it post-sale if there's a problem.

Which leaves me with DSL and JMD. In my head I really WANT the JMD but obviously have to play one in person before I fork over. I've heard people that just love their DSL and was wondering what I should consider before I visit a store with a cheque burning a hole in my pocket.

I massacre:
- ACDC
- Led Zep
- Metallica (early and late)
- Floyd
- Hendrix (ha ha.)

From what I've seen the JMD could get t within 90-95% of all of these tones - which would be close enough to fool me. But part of me thinks - DSL + various pedals probably would too??

Any thoughts gratefully received - though I realize that this board is likely to suggest the JMD!

Thanks

Can. Not. Wait. to get my amp....

Sebb

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: 501 or DSL

Postby surfnorthwest » 03 Jan 2011, 11:51

From what I've seen the JMD could get t within 90-95% of all of these tones
Yep and then some. The JMD1 is a great amp with very good built in effects. You will have fun coming up with new sounds. Oh and BTW the JMD1 will do the JVM and DSL sound with no problem. Welcome to the forum. Be sure to read some more posts in the JMD section as well as many of the videos and clips posted.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Sebb
<25
<25

Postby Sebb » 03 Jan 2011, 16:58

Thanks surfnorthwest, I am getting close to a decison. I just need to FIND one so I can try it out......

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 03 Jan 2011, 17:13

I finally got to try one over Christmas break in Knoxville. It was the 50 watt head. I played with it for a couple of minutes when some kid came over and showed me how to dial in some tones. Made me feel a little old but he knew what he was doing and I didn't. I can tell you the amp has a lot of balls. I thought the clean preamps on it were very nice, great headroom. The later preamps I tried he was able to dial in more then enough gain and I will say without hesitation that the amp did not sound or feel digital.

I did not like the matching cabinet at all though, the guy at the store plugged it into another Marshall cabinet (1960A??) and it sounded much better. I want to look at this amp closer myself but it did impress me. I need a 100 watt amp though so I want to try one of those when they get one.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 03 Jan 2011, 18:52

If your going with a JMD (I also agree with everyone here had mine for 6 months now) it will be a amp that can cover all your material and then some. I have a patch that really scooped and it sounds close to a MESA, and since I am in my later 40's (lol) I have no problem with suggesting you purchase this amp. Mine finally lost its cherry a few weeks back and made its stage appearance and it drew loads of attention. Most of the people who are negative about the amp are those who have never played the amp. I am a self proclaimed tube snob and have a old arz 5150 (First edition Block letters) a early 80's 2203, and a few other glass amps and many SS amps and this is by far the best so far. I brought her to a gig and while I am the primary bass player I still play guitar on stage for a few tunes and bring my JMD and a old Pre-JCM800 1960A with Greenbacks loaded, those few tunes usually get my guitar player pissed. He is using a old Randall SS and a 100 Watt Marshall MG head together one on each side of the stage and some suggest he dumps the stereo setup and just play through mine... It puts me in a position but they are right about the tones this amp creates. I purchased mine through AMS (American Musical Supply) and got it without even hearing it. They have a great return policy, price match and extend warranty by a year; so I figured why not. Since I purchased this amp all my other amps are getting really dusty because I am not playing them any more. Right now I have my Les Paul plugged in and ready to go. The only thing I do not like about the head (again IMO) is the effects, I like a drier no effects sound with maybe a little reverb but the Noise Limiter on the head is studio quality. If you go into some of these preamps and dime the preamp they can get quite hissy; but the amps noise limiter (gate) is well worth its price and then some. I have read some where from a review its the best thing going for the amp; I don't know about that but its very usable.

I say go for it, who cares if your in your 40's, I am knocking on 50's and dating late 20 somethings and this amp is frigging great!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for such a great product Steve.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Sebb
<25
<25

Postby Sebb » 04 Jan 2011, 04:55

"I am knocking on 50's and dating late 20 somethings and this amp is frigging great!!!!!!!!!"

Now if you said that these two facts were related I would be even more impressed! Pretty sure my wife doesn't read this forum......

It does sound great - I think I'll buy one from Music Unlimited in MA - then I CAN return it if I need to. Music Unlimited were very helpful when I called and right now the guy is checking with his boss whether they can get it in without me having to buy it. A young guy (mid 20s) at Guitar Center in Natick basically told me that Marshalls weren't any good any more ("they made great amps in the 70,s 80s and 90s"), and why didn't I try this Fender ("Jim Marshall started out working at Fender"). I dutifully tried to make it sound 'nasty' and failed, to which his response was 'get a pedal'. Their opinion might have been affected by the fact that they only had MGs on display and one 100W stack (JVM?) behind piles of other gear and obviously not used in ages. I asked him if he got less commission on Marshall and he denied it.

Sebb

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 04 Jan 2011, 08:40

Most store now days are going with modelers vs real amps, Line6 has many of them as does Vox, Fender etc and I generally stay away from that type of amp. One thing you usually see in those amps are versions of Marshalls and I figure why not go to the source. I am really happy with my JMD although I do have the head and not the combo.

Jocko

Makkon
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Makkon » 06 Jan 2011, 19:24

Hello Fellow Bostonian,
First of all you may want to go into town (Boston) Guitar Center or head up the north shore (Danvers) Guitar Center , they may have a bit more selection and a JMD in stock for you to try out. :-)

I own a JMD102 combo its a great amp, I am glad I own it, you wouldnt be unhappy with it.
my only complaints/pet peaves about it are , and they may not be important to you....
1.The combo is friggin heavy ,,, I can haul it short distances , but forget any stairs , lol.
2. Does not sound good at low levels ,,meaning late evening in the bedroom and not wake up the family.
You can play it at moderate bedroom levels and there is no problem, and of course turned up a bit and this baby really shines.

That being said ,,,I also own a JVM 410 and that amp pretty much plays itself, and it sounds fantastic at low levels. The JVM 410 is just a friggin awesome amp hands down. Different beast though, and obviously in a different price range, unless you find a good deal on one ,,their out there.

So............JMD , great amp , lotsa possibilities , built in effects , great price, buts its no JVM , and I mean that with all respect.

you get what you pay for in either model.

Sebb
<25
<25

Postby Sebb » 07 Jan 2011, 10:50

Hay Makkon! Thanks for that. I'm just off to Music Unlimited in Hanover. They MAY get one on spec (more likely if I'm there in person, I expect). They also have a JVM 50W combo in stock, so I can at least see what that sounds like....

I did try the other Guitar Centers (at least on line) and they don't have them in stock - I will call too. Good advice, thanks - especially as I will want to play at low volume quite a lot.

Sebb

-- Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:13 pm --

Just got back from torturing the staff at Music Unlimited with my playing through the JVM. Very nice - tho I didn't really know what I was doing with the knobs and buttons I got some good tones out of it. They had a cheap second hand half-stack with an AVT100 and I had to keep telling myself that I must NOT get it...it just looked so awesome.

Makkon
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Makkon » 07 Jan 2011, 14:58

Yeah the JVM can be a bit a bit confusing at first.

Anyways.... I just want to be clear , the JMD is a fine amp , its at after 10 pm volumes that im speaking of where its not really very good. I dont want to give you the wrong impression.

Cheers on your new amp , whatever you get. :Cheers

Sebb
<25
<25

Postby Sebb » 08 Jan 2011, 12:43

Thanks! THere will certainly be celebrating! THe JMD obviously isn't on there, I learned a lot from the "9 amp shootout" youTube too - what to listen for. The differences are quite marked if you skip back and forth between them. And I am sure being in the room showed more of the differences. (that post should be a sticky).

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 09 Jan 2011, 00:18

Makkon if you think the JMD combo is heavy you should try the 5150 Combo; it was then and still continues today as the heaviest combo around.

As for this discussion; I personally hate combos; especially if open backed. I am unsure if this is the case here since I own the JMD head and going through a pre JCM800 1960A with Greenbacks sounds great at any volume. Nothing wrong with the JVM and I could have afforded it when I purchased the JMD; in my world of being a active musician and carrying less equals less pain in the back thats why I did the JMD. No floor pedals (except Talk Box and Wah) and no need for any other rack mount stuff to get the tone I want.

Jocko

Makkon
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Makkon » 09 Jan 2011, 08:34

Yeah an 85 lb combo would be a bit heavy for me now that I'm approaching 50. :winking I got a combo cuz I wanted something to be able to bring out around the house when the warm weather comes, and the JMD102 does that easily for me and its also a portable lawn chair too while im annoying my neighbors :dance Its just not my first choice if I have to hold it my grip for an extended period time.
(getting old) , but this is just a personal opinion and doesnt reflect on the quality of the amp.

Combos, dont sound as good as going thru a speaker cab ,,, your absolutely right. :yea
I run my JMD102 while in the house into a 1960 cab exclusively. Its just not my first choice when I need low volumes (after 10 pm in the house) , and this is just my opinion and based on my personal needs and environment , once again does not reflect on this great amp.

Im just throwing a couple of observations out there for Sebb ,,,I like reading current owners opinions on their purchases , it always helps me make an informed decision on the product as their petpeaves may coincide with my own.

Buy the JMD you wont be disappointed. :party

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 09 Jan 2011, 11:12

Please getting old with the age remarks (since I am knocking on AARP also) lol. No problem on giving advice bud; I have tried the others and one day might actually pick up a JVM but I am so totally happy with the JMD. We both grew up in the period where Marshall and tubes were king and digital or SS suk'd in the 70's, 80's, 90's but all things considered my "real tube amps" are getting real dusty since the JMD came home. I am currently not married and have a 3bdrm home so playing at a louder vol at 1am is OK in my "MANCAVE"; lol............

Jocko

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby noise5150 » 13 Jan 2011, 14:00

Oh man dilemma!! haha I happen to own a DSL50 head (going through a 4x12 Vintage Modern cab) and a JMD50 head (going to a 2x12 cab with V30s). Here is my take: I love both amps. The JMD is the most impressive amp I've tried in years. IMO it destroys Line6 and Peavey (although they have their place.) The DSL is a great amp all around. Amazing full bodied cleans and can do blues type gain all the way to really high gain (pre-amp tube) crunch. It can do this at low volumes too which is key for me as well. I have a few pedals in front - one for metal and a MI Audio Crunch Box for a high gain Plexi sound and for use as an over-drive. I send delay through the effects loop. *Note - I have an ISP Noise Decimator in front and a gate in the effects loop to keep noise down. Basically a great amp and does everything. Tone wise I like it better than my brothers JVM. Seriously.
Even though it models a variety of Marshalls...the JMD is its own amp. Its hard to compare to the DSL because its can technically do alot more but its very subjective which is "better". Some of the great things about the JMD are that its programmable and has a huge array of tones and effects settings. It also has a built in noise gate which is HUGE for me. I never owned most of the amps models in it but they sounds great IMO. My brother has his JVM set up next to my rigs and I can tell you that the JVM tones on the JMD are pretty much spot on. The DSL settings are close too. The DSL clean setting is dead on. The lead setting 15 is supposed to be a Bluesbreaker II + JCM2000 DSL100 and IMO is not as close to the real thing as the JVM mode is, but the basic character is there. I dont use this setting often but then again I have the real thing set up next to it. Just like any tube amp, the JMD sounds better a little cranked. I use my Crunch Box to boost many of the settings for some applications but trust me the JMD is great on its own. The one last thing Id say is if you are gonna get the head match it with a good cab it will make alot of difference. If you get the combo and you are unhappy with the stock speaker(s) you may want to throw in some V30s or something. Enjoy whatever you end up getting!

Return to “Marshall JMD1”