Moderator: longfxukxnhair

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Totally bummed..............

Postby guitarest » 23 Feb 2011, 14:41

So after many shows with the JMD our next show (this weekend) I have been demoted or reassigned to bass duties again. Our former bass player was maybe average although the last gig I am unsure what was going on but it was the straw that broke the camels back. While on break between the sets he hung out at the table and goofed off which is OK. What I do is prior to leaving the stage I make sure I am tuned again, wipe down the guitar, and change the page on the setlist so I am sure whats playing next. The DJ came over and warned us one song to go and I asked the bass player if he was ready and tuned? Of course he wasn't; and it went down hill from there. Eddie the other guitar player tuned the bass then Mark (the bass player) tuned the bass again and he changed the tuning from a full step down to only a 1/2 step down so thats not the final straw yet. The final straw was he stopped in the middle of a tune and started doing harmonics without warning us. Then when we finally got him under control to tune him the drummer did like a mini solo so at least there is something going on while we are doing something that should have been done already. For what ever reason I got him back to the tuning standard we were using and the SOB started playing with his tunings again and for the first time since I joined this band I wanted to kill someone on stage (him). Still things happen and this wasn't the final straw, the final straw was when we left the bar to off load at the singers house. I stayed behind with the singer to get the money and left around 20 minutes after Mark left the show. We told him to go straight to the singers house and start off loading and made him repeat what was said. On my drive home I slightly exceeded the posted speed limit (Mustangs can fly) and caught up with the other guitar player and drummer and no Mark to be found. We totally off loaded all the gear; hung out and chatted and finally started to leave. That's the straw Mark shows up and was surprised saying he didn't know we were off loading tonight so he stopped somewhere else to get a brew. I was so pissed I had to drive away or I might have started something that the others would have finished...

So my poor lil JMD has to stay home for this weekends gig and our search for a replacement bass player has not been a fun adventure since everyone who replied so far wants to treat us as a second project. This would be cool except we are actively gigging and need a bass player who has us as a primary band not a side project.

On a side note I can't wait till my new Explorer gets here; I hope she sounds as sweet and her sisters do (LP and SG)

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Totally bummed..............

Postby surfnorthwest » 23 Feb 2011, 14:52

Ahh the joy of bandmates, sounds like he sucked anyways. The good news is you're still playing/working and it usally isn't that hard to find a bass player.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 23 Feb 2011, 16:03

To bad thats not true in this area, bass players are as difficult to find as keyboard players. Prior to Katrina is was simple to find players although since the storm many moved away (quality players) and most of that void not filled.

Jocko

rabies
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby rabies » 25 Feb 2011, 13:21

who needs a bass player (e.g. The Doors!)
Rivera S120
Marshall VM 2266
Ibanez RG1570 (for sale)
Epi Elitist LP
Mesa 412
Genz-Benz 212

spikei
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby spikei » 25 Feb 2011, 17:17

I feel for you but its so funny to read, I think i would have decked the twat. LOL.
Marshall Vintage Modern Combo
Marshall JVM 215 Combo
Marshall JMD1 501 Combo
Marshall AVT 100 Combo
Marshall 1936 Cab
Gibson L P Studio
Fender Strat A Std
Fender Jv Squire Strat
Ibanez 59 Deluxe

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 25 Feb 2011, 17:26

Sadly... most places I believe a bassist can basically choose which band he/she wants to play with.
If you want a band... start playing bass.

At least that seem to be the case in Norway... I guess New Orleans had plenty of musicians within most instruments before the hurricane?
We'll see... I haven't been playing with a band now for 10 years or so... but I will move to my hometown again sometime during the summer. I will try to find someone to play with.

Fun story though... would have loved to see that performance :roll

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 25 Feb 2011, 17:55

One thing for sure since I started playing bass, I have had loads of offers to join other bands.

Jocko

Return to “Marshall JMD1”