Moderator: longfxukxnhair

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 59 times

Emulated Line out vs Headphones out

Postby noise5150 » 06 Mar 2011, 14:10

Do any of you guys hear a different between these two outputs for direct recording? - I don't hear one. Also, in the manual, it says "4x12" speaker cabinet and microphone emulation is made available at this connector. What does that mean exactly? What kind of mic and what kind of cab does it emulate?

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Emulated Line out vs Headphones out

Postby guitarest » 06 Mar 2011, 23:35

The direct out for recording is exactly that, a line out made specifically for recording, the differences would be the EQ, and level. I would suspect it would emulate a generic 4X12 with a generic mic. I know a few have used this for recording although I have not; yet.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby noise5150 » 07 Mar 2011, 09:13

I have recored with it direct (actually again just last night) and it sounds great IMO. I have experimented by comparing micing it with the direct out and I prefer going direct. I have good mics and I go into an Mbox (pro-tools 8). I have also compared it to my POD and the JMD wins hands down even judged by other people I know when I compared the same tracks for them.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 07 Mar 2011, 10:32

Thats why its designed that way. A decade ago before all these nice software and hardware tools to get a recording that sounded decent had more to do with the equipment, placement of the mic, environment of the room than your ability to play. When those red boxes came out by H&K that was the rave, then life got a little easier. It was cool to have a 4 track tape recorder but most of the time you had to place the amp in a closet or something to get a decent sound; and if it was a tube amp then a soak was required.

I have been doing this for thirty plus years now and I love the fact that I can take my POD X3 Live plug it into any device to record and the amp samples sound the same no matter where I record. I still have yet to record the JMD although I will soon.

Its great that you got those results with the JMD, I dont really know who actually came out with this software engineering first but the world of music is better for it, IMO. Be it Roland, Line6 or Soft tube with their helping all of the above; it has made recording for the practicing musician allot easier. Another result of this software/firmware is it has made it easier for a common everyday musician to get pro results faster and without a degree in being a producer.

As a gigging amp the JMD (IMO) is a jack of all trades, I don't need anything else besides the amp, a guitar and maybe a wah to pull off any gig.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Return to “Marshall JMD1”