Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Tremolo Arm
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

JMD 50W combo. Quick opinion + question

Postby Tremolo Arm » 10 Aug 2010, 07:48

I recently pulled the trigger on a JMD:1 50W.
I've had it for a couple of weeks now and am really pleased with its wide range of tones and effects functionality. So much so that I think it will end up selling my Boss GT-10 multieffect. I have bought a Dunlop Cry Baby and a TS-808 Tube Screamer for some boosts. I find that this rig (+ a tuner), will probably be everything that I will ever need for rehearsals and gigs.

I was after a classic rock sound (AC/DC, Led Zep, Aerosmith, Chili Peppers) and was pleased to be able to dial it relatively easily with preamps 4 and 5. Not so sure about the Lead sounds - I just can't make them to sound right through either my 62 RI Strat or Les Paul. Especially the Govn'r preamp (14) - I tried all settings but it always sounds too muddy regardless of presence / treble settings. Yet Chris George makes it sounds so defined and alive in his video interview... How do you do it, Chris? Is it just talent? :winking

Anyway, here go my questions to the community:

1. I have stored a few sounds on the provided channels. Let's say I then switch to Manual mode and start tweaking parameters. If I then select one of the Channels again, when I change a parameter in that channel would the amp store just the change of value of that specific parameter, or will it also inherit all the other parameters which are presently dialled as per what the manual mode has?

2. The Gain seems to add considerable bass when progressively turned up and reversely really thins the sounds when rolled back. Is this normal?

3. Have I got it right in that to activate the Noise Gate you just need to have the Modulation knob rolled all the way back and just press Modulation? If so, the activation of the noise gate drops the volume down significantly. Is this normal?

That's all for now :winking
Would really appreciate your help in answering these! :ntworth

Thanks
Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic with Bare Knuckle Black Dog, Mule and DiMarzio Super Distortion
Fender American Vintage 62 RI Stratocaster
Fender 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster Baja
Taylor 114
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 head
Marshall 1936 2x12 speaker cab loaded with Celestion G-12C 25W speakers
Boss GT10
Zoom Q3HD

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: JMD 50W combo. Quick opinion + question

Postby Beck-Ola » 10 Aug 2010, 10:44

Tremolo Arm wrote:I recently pulled the trigger on a JMD:1 50W.
I've had it for a couple of weeks now and am really pleased with its wide range of tones and effects functionality. So much so that I think it will end up selling my Boss GT-10 multieffect. I have bought a Dunlop Cry Baby and a TS-808 Tube Screamer for some boosts. I find that this rig (+ a tuner), will probably be everything that I will ever need for rehearsals and gigs.

I was after a classic rock sound (AC/DC, Led Zep, Aerosmith, Chili Peppers) and was pleased to be able to dial it relatively easily with preamps 4 and 5. Not so sure about the Lead sounds - I just can't make them to sound right through either my 62 RI Strat or Les Paul. Especially the Govn'r preamp (14) - I tried all settings but it always sounds too muddy regardless of presence / treble settings. Yet Chris George makes it sounds so defined and alive in his video interview... How do you do it, Chris? Is it just talent? :winking

1. I have stored a few sounds on the provided channels. Let's say I then switch to Manual mode and start tweaking parameters. If I then select one of the Channels again, when I change a parameter in that channel would the amp store just the change of value of that specific parameter, or will it also inherit all the other parameters which are presently dialled as per what the manual mode has?

2. The Gain seems to add considerable bass when progressively turned up and reversely really thins the sounds when rolled back. Is this normal?

3. Have I got it right in that to activate the Noise Gate you just need to have the Modulation knob rolled all the way back and just press Modulation? If so, the activation of the noise gate drops the volume down significantly. Is this normal?

Thanks
:howdy
1) Don't go to manual mode to tweak your preset. Call up your preset and change the parameters while there. When you turn a parameter more than about half a number away from the preset's location, it will become "alive" and reflect its present position instead of the preset one. Press the "compare" button to A/B your changes to your current preset. When you have it where you want it, SAVE it. Or else it will revert back to the original and you'll lose your new changes when you step on any footswitch button. If you go to "manual" and tweak things, and then save while in manual, you will inherit all the other current physical knob positions.

2) I believe it is normal to get a bit thicker as the Gain is increased. Maybe not necessarily bassy, but a thickness that is perceived that way. Backing off the Gain does "seem" to make it sound thinner.

3) Yes, the Mod Adjust needs to be full CCW, but you also need to adjust the Mod Depth to get the right level of cutoff threshold. Try turning Mod Depth to around 6 while not playing and you will hear a point where the gate shuts on the background noise. You want to set it to where it's quiet when not playing but opens immediately with any note playing or decaying. If you set it too low, it will cut off your notes before they have decayed naturally.

Hope that helps!
:yea
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Tremolo Arm
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Tremolo Arm » 12 Aug 2010, 05:14

Thanks Beck

Thought it now seems logical, I never knew that the strength of the noise gate was connected to the modulation level.

Thanks again
Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic with Bare Knuckle Black Dog, Mule and DiMarzio Super Distortion
Fender American Vintage 62 RI Stratocaster
Fender 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster Baja
Taylor 114
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 head
Marshall 1936 2x12 speaker cab loaded with Celestion G-12C 25W speakers
Boss GT10
Zoom Q3HD

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 12 Aug 2010, 07:07

Welcome to the forum Tremolo Arm. :Thumbs
Still my guitar gently weeps

davir
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby davir » 03 May 2011, 10:49

Tremolo Arm wrote:I recently pulled the trigger on a JMD:1 50W.

Thanks
i think i have the same problem, the clean is ok , do you hear this problem when you play on rhythm on your guitar?
is it kinda like fzzz?

maiden666
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby maiden666 » 04 May 2011, 04:31

i always wonder as well how chris george gets those amazing sounds out of the lead channel,maybe because he is a bloody good guitarist and i still need more practise!!! :Cheers :jam
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye lp
Mxr Zakk Wylde overdrive
Mxr Black Label Chorus
Greg Covington treble booster(for those queen moments)

Sebb
<25
<25

Postby Sebb » 06 May 2011, 10:13

And just to be clear.....I think this is the case someone can confirm : you can have the dials all over the place, select a preset and it's only the knobs you THEN adjust that will be replaced in the preset.

Do share your classic rock settings on preamps 4 and 5.....

Sebb

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 06 May 2011, 12:03

Yes that is the case.
Still my guitar gently weeps

davir
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby davir » 07 May 2011, 02:01

HI SteveD,
do you here that noise in your amp to?
so its normal?
thanks!

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 07 May 2011, 11:15

Steve designed or was involved with designing the amp, thus he is not a normal user. I wish I had access to the amount of vintage and current models he does... Damn all I would need is my LP or SG and a few days alone at Marshall

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Return to “Marshall JMD1”