I just love dumb a***s and closed minded people......

JMD1 Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

sunking420
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: I just love dumb a***s and closed minded people......

Postby sunking420 » 21 Apr 2011, 06:40

Guitarest...no problem on word dibs...By the way, wanted to ask if you and other fine members of this board use a boost or overdrive with the JMD. I'm finding(working with a Jeff Beck strat to get some good tones for that)that I ran a Line6 M13 multiunit(has a Tubescreamer model that I like)into the front and found I kinda liked the control it gave me for overdrive and distortion. I know the idea of the JMD is all about not needing anything else, which was kind of a goal, but I'll do anything for tone. Again just wondering if you, Surf, Beck-Ola or anyone else use a pedal to get different overdrives and distortions...Thanks ahead!!!

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 21 Apr 2011, 08:05

Actually I do not use any external devices with mine other than a wah and talkbox; I am very happy with the amps ability to handle overdrive and distortion. I have programmed my head to be like this. The main channels sound the same and levels are the same within those channels and overall sound levels are the same except for #4 each channel which is set up for leads on each channel.

A channel is clean
1 Clean (4)
2 Clean with verb and slight delay and chorus
3 Clean with more delay and same chorus
4 Clean with delay and slight break up for leads

B Channel is Overdrive
1 Overdrive (9)
2 Overdrive with phaser and slight reverb
3 Overdrive with flanger and slight reverb
4 Overdrive with splash of reverb and long delay with 1 repeat for leads only

C Channel is Distortion (13)
1 Distortion
2 Distortion with slight reverb
3 Distortion with sight delay
4 Distortion with long delay and one repeat for leads

I am really diving deep into this amp and starting to get my monies worth for sure. I bet I am using 15% of the amps ability by now......

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 21 Apr 2011, 11:51

Sunking,

Yes, I do use a couple of overdrives with the JMD, not that it's necessary but for variety and shifting gears. To goose the already overdriven channels one that works great is the YJM308 Yngwie J Malmsteen Overdrive Preamp pedal. This one works well because it's more of a treble boost than overdrive, which is to say it emphasizes certain frequencies and boosts the signal and doesn't overdo the distorted tone of the amp. Gives it a nice solo boost and more bad attitude. This particular pedal doesn't work with all amps but it loves the JMD.

I also use the Fulltone OCD and MI Audio Crunchbox but not in the heavier distorted preamps or settings. The OCD I use on the low range and with the drive dialed down because frankly as is common, feeding a distortion into an already distorted channel is just too much and doesn't sound that good. But for a boost it's good. As for into the cleaner settings the OCD and Crunchbox sound fantastic. They offer a few more variations of overdriven tone.

-- Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:53 am --
guitarest wrote:In all seriousness I have been using the 2X12 more recently and it actually appears to sound better than the 4X12 (EV 100 watt speakers @ 16ohm total load) not as sharp as the greenbacks; more mellow. Damn I'm loveing the JMD even more; curse you Jim Marshall......
So you're saying the EV loaded cab sounds less sharp than the greenbacks? Interesting.... :think

Must be those high mids in the greenbacks producing the sharpness?
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 21 Apr 2011, 20:21

I don't know for sure but the EV have a milder tone to them; but together (1960a and the 2X12 both are 16ohms) it sounds supra sweet for sure.....

Jocko

DEXMAN
<25
<25
Has Liked: 59 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby DEXMAN » 06 May 2011, 09:40

TODAY I CEASED BEING A DUMB ARSE . AFTER 25 YEARS OF JMP SUPERLEAD 100W MAGIC AND A BIT ON THE SIDE WITH THE VM I TRULY BELEIVED THAT SILICON SUCKED ,HYBRIDS FAILED & TOTAL TUBES RULED . THIS ARVO I TRIED A MATES JMD ..... UN-FKN-BELIEVEABLE . WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT I WAS DOING I FOU :chug ND THE TONE OF 70'S MICHAEL SCHENKER AMONGST OTHERS ... WHAT A SCHIZO THERE IS SO MUCH IN THIS AMAZING AMP . I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT....... :chug :chug :beerme
SIX STRINGS ON SOME WOOD

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 06 May 2011, 12:11

Congrats on seeing the light and welcome to the forum

Jocko

DEXMAN
<25
<25

Postby DEXMAN » 10 May 2011, 19:41

THANKS GUITAREST - I WAS TRULY IMPRESSED AND AM NOW CONSIDERING GETTING COMBO UNIT, BUT I'LL STILL KEEP MY VM2266. DO YOU KNOW WHAT SPEAKERS MARSHALL USES WITH THE JMD ? ALSO I AM TROUBLE GETTING THE OUTPUT TUBE OVERDRIVE SOUND OUT OF MY VM. WITH MY OLD 1959 I WOULD JUST PLUG IN AND CRANK IT BUT THE VM'S DIRT SEEMS TO BE PURELY PRE-AMP. I PLAY LES PAUL CLASSIC 1960 REISSUE - 500 T OR R I THINK THE BRIDGE P/U IS , A FAIRLY HI O/P P/U, AND JUST FOR ONFO I PUT IT THROUGH A 1960 CLASSIC MARSHALL CAB WITH 25W GREENBACKS. COULD THIS BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE EL34S AND THE KT 66S ? WHAT DO YOU RECKON . I UTILISE THE HDR AND THE MID BOOST , BOTH THE BODY AND THE DETAIL HOVER AROUND TWELVE O'CLOCK. THE TONE IS A TAD BRIGHT BUT I FIGURE THE AMP AND CAB ARE STILL BEING BROKEN IN, THE OLD SUPERLEAD USED TO SMOOTHEN OUT AS THE VOLUME WENT UP( BEAUTIFULLY EAR BLEEDINGLY LOUD) WISH I STILL HAD IT TO SHOW THE YOUNG BLOKES I JAM WITH WHAT A REAL 100W MARSHALL SOUNDS LIKE WHEN ITS WORKING . CHEERS
SIX STRINGS ON SOME WOOD

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 11 May 2011, 11:27

Welcome to the forum DEXMAN. :Thumbs
Still my guitar gently weeps

DEXMAN
<25
<25

Postby DEXMAN » 11 May 2011, 13:53

THANKS STEVE - FOR MY MONEY IT JUST HAS TO BE A MARSHALL
SIX STRINGS ON SOME WOOD

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 11 May 2011, 22:49

DEXMAN wrote:
WISH I STILL HAD IT TO SHOW THE YOUNG BLOKES I JAM WITH WHAT A REAL 100W MARSHALL SOUNDS LIKE WHEN ITS WORKING . CHEERS
I hear ya, but the day of the 100watt stack is so yesterday..... Yeah I said that; lol. I mean hell if it gets too loud I have ear plugs; and I do wear them. I have done a few gigs even some last year were I did require the power of a beast like that. We were playing a Poker Run for the local Harley Davison shop and the stage was a stage with a cover so I had the 5150 and a 1960B on my side and the 1960A on the other side of the drummer and the bass player did the same thing with his amp. Since we were outside the stage volume wasn't a issue and the PA sounded really sweet out front.

Yeah those were the days for sure when a amp with 100watts was actually used to its near capacity. With shows today ts more of a status thing by guys with strong backs......... lol Me I am happy with my lighter 50watt head and a lil 2X12 cab that has wheels. Yup I am a total sell out....... :laugh

Jocko

malmsteen_SVK
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby malmsteen_SVK » 12 May 2011, 00:51

DEXMAN, pls try to use CAPSLOCK on your keyboard, it´s probably on the left side of your keyboard on the left from letter A :computer ....turn it OFF before you write anything on this forum pls :Cheers thank you very much and :welcome

DEXMAN
<25
<25

Postby DEXMAN » 12 May 2011, 04:05

Sorry malmsteen_SVK I will try to remember that , so many buttons to push ! :bang
SIX STRINGS ON SOME WOOD

Return to “Marshall JMD1”