Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: MIDI Controller foot switch for JMD:1

Postby surfnorthwest » 24 Feb 2012, 20:06

Your best bet for the money is probably going to be the Rockton Midi Mate, should be able to pick one up on eBay cheap enough. The good one is the one by Voodoo Labs called the ground control but those are more. There is one now for a $255 BIN I linked below. I have rarly seen those go for less then $325.

The midi control will allow you up to 128 presets. I already have my 28 filled which really is enough but if you are gigging then it would be sweet to tweak for each song.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=roc ... ate&_rdc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voodoo-Lab-Grou ... 519dd53c4e
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

flyjones
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby flyjones » 25 Feb 2012, 06:39

I use the Rolls Midi Buddy for $129.00. You can't name the patches though. It's a trade off for the cheaper price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... uddy-pedal

Gatormike
<25
<25
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Gatormike » 27 Jun 2012, 16:14

Ola! Sorry for the necro post here, but I'm curious if someone would help a brother out on how to use the JMD with a Midi Controller? I'm a MIDIot, but have a Roland FC300 collecting dust from when I had this grand vision of all the sh!t I was going to do with a VG-99.

So, here's what I'm looking for:
1) Step by Step instructions for saving patches for the JMD in the FC300 --- I guess I know enough to be deadly: set the FC300 in control change mode and the JMD "listens" globally to all midi-channels from the controller? Beyond that I'm lost.
2) Can you program a preset to not just switch to the pre-amp and settings you want, but also to allow the expression pedal to control the modulation depth or gain range for example?

I guess I'll just plug it in and mess around, but I'd prefer to have some guidance if possible. I'm hoping the FC300 will allow me to put in a patch name as well --- that would be awesome. :Thumbs

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Peace. Mike
Gatormike, Human Being

"When I wake in the morning, I p!ss excellence." - Ricky Bobby

Gatormike
<25
<25

Postby Gatormike » 27 Jun 2012, 16:28

So I just consulted the JMD manual further.
1) I guess I need to put the FC300 in Standard mode as the JMD accepts Program Change messages.
2) I don't think I can control any individual parameters with an expression pedal --- looks like all you can do is get a patch saved into any one of the 1-128 midi program change numbers.

Is that about right? I don't think my FC300 let's me edit patch names either. I can just display the bank and patch number in different ways. Oh well.

Peace and let me know if I missed anything groovy. Thanks again. Mike
Gatormike, Human Being

flyjones
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby flyjones » 27 Jun 2012, 18:06

You are correct. All you can do is change the patches. The expression pedals will not work. It is still great to have access to all 128 patch banks with the midi pedal though. You will like that.

In addition to the midi pedal you can also use the JMD pedal at the same time to turn on and off effects within patches and set the tap tempo. Read in the manual about setting the JMD pedal to "Switch Store Mode".

Gatormike
<25
<25

Postby Gatormike » 27 Jun 2012, 19:45

Thanks, Fly. That is good info. But, doesn't that then mean that the JMD can receive program change messages and control change messages at the same time (program change through the midi foot controller and control change through the supplied marshall foot controller)? If that is the case, I'm wondering if the FC-300's Patch Mode (which allows for both) actually might work? My brain hurts just from thinking about it and reading the Roland manual over a few times.

Perhaps I'll give it a go in the next few weeks and report back. Again, thanks for the input. Mike
Gatormike, Human Being

Return to “Marshall JMD1”