Steve its doing it again.... Not switching channels again.

JMD1 Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Steve its doing it again.... Not switching channels agai

Postby Beck-Ola » 08 Mar 2011, 15:10

But you can get your settings easily enough, right? That shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, moving each knob until the red light does its thing.

Sounds like you are getting the royal run-around which is nauseating, and you being such a promoter of the amp and all. Sounds like AMS isn't such a great vendor either if that's the best advice they can offer, not even giving you a valid contact for warranty service. :Jerkoff
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 09 Mar 2011, 19:11

Can't you just take it to a authorized Marshall service center? My closest on is in Nashville but they have always been pretty good.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

bam_79
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby bam_79 » 10 Mar 2011, 00:15

I don't think he can do that wildone
my local store will not touch it with a ten foot pole since it was not purchased at their store
unless there's a separate authorized Marshall service center (not the local shop) in the area. Have you tried that Guitarest?

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 10 Mar 2011, 19:17

The closest Guitar Center is over 150 miles away, and there is no Marshall Center anywhere near me. I live in Hill Billy Hell and I love all the support from everyone except the company I purchased this product from (not talking aout AMS either).

Thanks

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 10 Mar 2011, 19:43

Whatever is the cause, apparently at least three guys on this forum have experienced it to some degree. I haven't had any problem myself. Sure sounds like there's a fault in the footswitch (just a guess). Well, that certainly beats having a fault in the amp itself. It's too bad your local dealer won't work with you a little. It shouldn't be so easy to fall through the cracks.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 10 Mar 2011, 22:38

Ya think..... lol Especially since we all dropped at least a grand per amp...

Jocko

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 11 Mar 2011, 04:15

guitarest wrote:The closest Guitar Center is over 150 miles away, and there is no Marshall Center anywhere near me. I live in Hill Billy Hell and I love all the support from everyone except the company I purchased this product from (not talking aout AMS either).

Thanks
I have been making enquiries on behalf of your situation. Please don't think you are being ignored.
Still my guitar gently weeps

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 12 Mar 2011, 05:57

Thank you Steve, getting zero help in Hill Billy He11....

-- Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:03 am --

OK reset the amp back to its original factory pre-sets on Friday. Prior to doing the reset the amp was really freaking out and not wanting to go to channel 2, although this was only on the "A" bank and on all the other banks the second button worked like a champ. I turned it on and the number two fix I used to have no longer worked by just turning off the head and turning it back on. It was as if there was a serious hardware problem but just on the "A" bank. Since the 2nd switch worked on the other banks I decided to pull the trigger.

I have reset to the factory pre-set and played for a few hours and not one error. Usually it would have errored at the very least once the way it was going these past few days. So I went ahead and reprogrammed the "A" bank back to something near where I used to have it, played a few hours on Sunday with no errors.

I know now this is a firmware issue and not a hardware issue for sure now. Or at least lets pretend its repaired or no longer having issues (knocking on wood now). Although I believe I know what might be causing it, that little trick with the effects loop has something to do with this; or so I believe it does. Give me a few days to test my theory but I believe that when the loop is engaged and nothing is in the loop its causing the error.

For those having issues check to see if the effect loop is turned on even though nothing is there. Thinking back I had no issues until about the time there was talk about turning that on has a volume effect on the preamp. Its late now but tomorrow I will test my amp to see if that makes a difference; although like I mentioned no errors since reset, then the amp was programed again to close to my previous settings. Kinda funny there was a post by me a few weeks ago with the exact settings on my channel two. So its back to those settings except the effects loop is currently turned off.

For those having issues, I wonder if the effects loop is engaged but nothing resides in the chain?

Here is my current channel 2 settings....

Presence..........7
Reverb.............3
Delay............Off
Mod.................5
Mod Type....Gate
Vol..................5
Treb..............7.5
Mid..................6
Bass................6
Gain................7
Preamp............8 Full

Jocko

malmsteen_SVK
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby malmsteen_SVK » 14 Mar 2011, 00:41

mmm thats interesting with the fx loop you mentioned... as i remember my issue starts after i started to use the tuner on the FX loop (signal only from send to tuner). I used tuner this way because it is not pedal tuner and has no bypass... maybe this caused my problems... btw. yesterday i opened the footswitch and watched on the strings and things around ;) it seemed everything is ok

SO, maybe it is true with the FX loop...i´ll reset the factory settings too and see if it works....and never use FX loop with the tuner as before.....now i own new pedal tuner Korg Pitchblack so i have no reason to use it that way :whatever

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 15 Mar 2011, 00:41

Played a fewhours today learning new material; so far so good. So it appears that the effects loop may have sent the amp over the top and caused the errors. I used my loop as it was discussed here in a few posts to over drive the amp additionally since nothing was actually in the loop.

Will keep ya updated shuld something change in regards to the amp and its switching or lack there of...

Jocko

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 15 Mar 2011, 07:12

Glad the factory reset worked, thought it would. I never did the loop engage on mine as I find the amp to have plenty of gain. You might very well be on to something but in fairness the amp is not suppose to be used that way. Let us know how the test goes.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 15 Mar 2011, 09:17

Granted it might not be designed to use the loop enguaged without something there; although what about those who use pedals in the loop. This would still cause the same error IMO.

Jocko

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 15 Mar 2011, 09:39

It shouldn't matter whether anything is plugged into the loop or not. That won't be causing your issue.

Anyway, I now have some support contact info for those of you in the USA; -

Email = amp.support@usmusiccorp.com

Tel = 800-877-6863 and speak to Barry
Still my guitar gently weeps

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 15 Mar 2011, 09:44

Thank you Steve......

Jocko

bam_79
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 2 times

Postby bam_79 » 15 Mar 2011, 20:56

Don't forget to keep us non-US people updated. :truce

I would also shadow Steve's comments as my Footswitch was sent away, returned and has since worked fine without me having to touch anything on the amp including the FX loop.

Return to “Marshall JMD1”