Moderator: longfxukxnhair

sunking420
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Thinking of purchasing a JMD1

Postby sunking420 » 18 Mar 2011, 07:11

Damn, you guys are selling me on this amp. I've got the VM combo for a few months now, and like Chuck used to say 'bout guns, "From my cold dead hands". So much so I've been looking for a 2466 and eventually a 425cab to do the half stack. I'm starting to think that I should just get a 100watt combo JMD. That Japanese video sold me and I'll check out more of Chris George on Marshall Theatre(Who by the way is a great rep, I've never seen a guitarist as fluent in so many styles of playing-He kicks ASS). I'm using a Class5 literally in the bedroom using the bedroom volume trick with the 4x12 and headphone hook up. Use that to play instructional DVDs to learn ever more. The VM combo is in the living room to play solo or along with CDs. I'm figuring get a JMD to play around with for now( I may start going to local jams soon and want that kind of portability and the effects-not that I use a lot of effects anyway) and get the VM head and cab later while I still play around with the VMcombo. I know I'm a tone crazy amp freak, but any suggestions? Is the build quality(Chinese) as good as English made Marshalls? Thanks to all replies....

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Mar 2011, 08:19

Is the build quality(Chinese) as good as English made Marshalls?
I have no quality issue with mine at all, manufacturing in China I hate but it is a fact of todays economy, who knows what the amp would cost if it were made in the UK, I suspect much more.

Paul Gilbert is one who is on tour now using both the VM and JMD1. IMO I cannot get the VM sound out of the JMD but there are so many other Marshall sounds you can. Most of the time when I use mine I am running the XLR out into my RME Fireface 800 then into studio monitors. The thing to really watch in the amp is where the preamp volume is set as this really changes up the sound on each preamp. You can set the master volume at 3 or so when tweaking and once you have your sound crank the amp from there. The eq on this amp is also very responsive so when tweaking a preamp I set the following all at 50% then start tweaking.

Preamp
Gain
Bass
Middle
Treble

Once I have my tone I then dial in the noise gate if necessary, it not I may select one of the four effects. Then time to set the reverb and delay (if any) then save the setting. You can save 28 on the foot switch.

[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

sunking420
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Postby sunking420 » 18 Mar 2011, 11:24

Thanks Surf. That answered quite a few questions and great vid of Chris and Co. doing Spectrum. Left handed drummer with lefty guitarist!!!

I figure the Chinese build quality should be okay, next set of tubes I get will be from there so what the hell. I've seen something here which I haven't read yet about the Vintage Modern line being discontinued, thus my concern to get a 100watt head now before prices go up on them. I have the VM combo to keep me busy and figure it's kind of redundant to have both combo and head. Better maybe to get the JMD now, and get another Purple People Eater later. By the way, clicked on your gear page and now I don't feel so guilty:) Anyway thanks for the info, you're in my cool book.....

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 18 Mar 2011, 14:48

I agree with Surf that you cannot get the VM sound out of the JMD. It just has a certain kind of thickness that can't be duplicated. But you sure can get a lot of other tones.

I'm pretty sure the chinese build quality is up to par as far as that's concerned but being made in china doesn't sit well with me. A British manufactured Marshall will ALWAYS have more cachet for me. It's another expedient compromise to get things cheaper at the cost of domestic jobs. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 18 Mar 2011, 18:34

Beck-Ola wrote:I agree with Surf that you cannot get the VM sound out of the JMD. It just has a certain kind of thickness that can't be duplicated. But you sure can get a lot of other tones.

I'm pretty sure the chinese build quality is up to par as far as that's concerned but being made in china doesn't sit well with me. A British manufactured Marshall will ALWAYS have more cachet for me. It's another expedient compromise to get things cheaper at the cost of domestic jobs. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I totally agree and while most have not had issues with their JMD; I have had issues for a few months now. Granted it appears to be resolved by using a effects loop that is not being used any longer but I personally enjoy only MIUK or MIA amps and love their tone and dependability. For me the JMD for all the great tones it does have is still on the fence in reliability. My 2203 was my main amp for 15 years and it did hundreds of shows, and practices and the only issue with the amp was replacing the tubes. Granted the 2203 was a simpler amp but no issues ever, the JMD 8 months old and one channel not switching.

Sadly China and other parts of the world are know for building things we like to buy for a larger profit margin for the company bean counters. With me paying a grand I hope the JMD lasts as long as I need her or want to play her although today most of the items made last 1/4 of what other items last. I do give it to Marshall and Co for designing this amp and using Soft Tube to do the samples although the mother board of the amp is very thin and IMO will not hold up with years of use. I hope Marshall proves me wrong since I take extremely good care of my property since its these items that allow me to make a few extra bucks. I have another show coming up and I am not fully convinced the amp switching is resolved so the 5150 is going to the gig while the JMD stays home.

Granted profit is the bottom line but where is the line that determines the quality and dependability of the item vs the all mighty profit margin? I personally would have paid more money to get a MIUK amp verses a MIC amp. I refuse to purchase a MII guitar by Ibanez and will regularily spend the extra cash for a Prestige guitar since they are hand crafted in Japan and thatblows the Indo crap away for a few hundred extra; to me its worth it.

Note...
MIA Made in America
MIUK Made in UK
MIC Made in China
MII Made in Indonesia

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Return to “Marshall JMD1”