Moderator: longfxukxnhair

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

JMD:1

Postby kissfanps » 25 Dec 2009, 10:24

Well, it has been touched on at some point on forum. What is up with this new amp being announced at NAMM? Anyone have any clue? I have read it is like a JMP-1 with a built in power amp.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: JMD:1

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 Dec 2009, 12:41

Looks to be Marshalls attempt at modeling from what I can tell, we will have to wait and see. I am one who used the JMP1 with a Digitech GSP-21 and two Marshall 9100's for years and it served me well.

I would love a new take on the JMP1 if it were to be reengineered with modern connections and more up to date technoligy. I would be the first in line for it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 25 Dec 2009, 15:02

From the demo video on the Marshall web site, it looks like it is a self contained amp with a modeling preamp developed along with a company external to Marshall. The power amp is a standard EL34 type, The modeling preamp has some interesting choices in amp types (two Haze 40 presets out of 16 total presets, another that is a model of a Guv'nor pedal, several JMP-1 presets). It is an interesting new direction for Marshall, but is not at all an updated JMP-1.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kissfanps » 25 Dec 2009, 15:43

MKB wrote:From the demo video on the Marshall web site, it looks like it is a self contained amp with a modeling preamp developed along with a company external to Marshall. The power amp is a standard EL34 type, The modeling preamp has some interesting choices in amp types (two Haze 40 presets out of 16 total presets, another that is a model of a Guv'nor pedal, several JMP-1 presets). It is an interesting new direction for Marshall, but is not at all an updated JMP-1.
Cool! Do you have a link? I am having trouble finding the demo.
Marshall Class 5
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MKB » 26 Dec 2009, 05:59

kissfanps wrote: Cool! Do you have a link? I am having trouble finding the demo.
Here's the link from my browser history, but it looks like Marshall took all references to the JMD off their web site. Strange; it was there a few days ago.

http://www.marshallamps.com:3339/produc ... ode=JMD102#

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 28 Dec 2009, 13:12

The JMD-1 will be launched at NAMM this January and it will be taking many people by surprise. :winking

The tones are all Marshall and primarily EL34 from vintage to our latest. (The power amp is after all EL34. So no Vintage Modern or Super100 etc).

The preamp is true digital (High Definition) unlike the JMP-1 which was analogue signal path digitally controlled and stored. It is a 21st century Marshall in the true sense of the word.
Still my guitar gently weeps

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kissfanps » 28 Dec 2009, 13:14

SteveD wrote:The JMD-1 will be launched at NAMM this January and it will be taking many people by surprise. :winking

The tones are all Marshall and primarily EL34 from vintage to our latest. (The power amp is after all EL34. So no Vintage Modern or Super100 etc).

The preamp is true digital (High Definition) unlike the JMP-1 which was analogue signal path digitally controlled and stored. It is a 21st century Marshall in the true sense of the word.
Thanks Steve! Did you have a hand in this one?
Marshall Class 5
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 29 Dec 2009, 04:28

Yes I did but only the analogue side of the project. The digital side was handled by 'Softube', a fantastic OEM partner based in Sweden who we chose because of their groundbreaking (and patented) use of the technology. (The same company was chosen to create digital versions of Abbey Road's famous analogue mixing desk). The amp also utilises Santiago's excellent switching system that he designed for the JVM which really makes for a versatile amplifier. It has MIDI 'in' and 'through' but even with the supplied footswitch alone you can access 28 prestored patches.

Everything is memorised (except for 'Master Volume' and 'Presence' which are real time analogue controls), Gains, Volumes, EQs, external FX Loop status, internal modulation FX status, and internal delay status.

There is also a very nice reverb on board and a fantastic gate feature (made available at the modulation select dial by setting it to minimum and then setting it's threshold with a modulation 'Depth' control.

Love the Tremolo too!

The amp is not merely a bunch of 'snapshots' that get somewhere near the tones when you select the various preamps. Each selection 'becomes' the preamp it was copied from in every sense of the word, i.e. the range of the EQs, available gain and of course the way it would react to your guitar volume etc. All fed directly into that EL34 power amp!

Some great new sounds have also been created by mixing topologies.

Sounds too good to be true right but I feel quite honoured to have been a part of it and would love to see it achieve the success I personally think it deserves.
Still my guitar gently weeps

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Dec 2009, 05:45

Ok now you have my attention. So what we have here is a more modern JMP1 with it's digital pre pushing into a EL34 power amp. Any chance this can be all bundled into a rack module like a JMP1 / 9100 combo?
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MKB » 14 Jan 2010, 12:16

The Marshall Theatre on the JMD:1 is back up. http://www.marshallamps.com/marshall_th ... ipCat=JMD1

snatch
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby snatch » 14 Jan 2010, 13:30

ive never been a fan of digital modeling even with a tube power amp but i have to say that this really changes my mind. i think marshall just threw down the new standard. now the real question is how long before surf has one in his studio? should we start a pull? :laugher
fender american deluxe fat strat
gibson melody maker
mesa single rectifier
2466 vintage modern
1960 a and b 4x12

BrianC
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby BrianC » 15 Jan 2010, 09:57

Specs as follows

•100 watt 2x12" combo
•16 digital preamps
•4 x EL34 Power amp valves
•Modulation FX
•Delay FX
•Reverb
•Noise gate
•Series/Parallel FX loop
•Footcontroller included
•Midi in and thru
•Emulated line out
•Headphone out
•MP3/CD Line in
Marc Ford: "They don’t get it. It’s not the gear. They’re like Trekkies…they’re just geeks. They have nothing better to do all day than argue on the website forums."

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 12 times

Postby HappyBlues » 15 Jan 2010, 13:36

I didn't like some tones they were getting on Marshall Theather, but some might make me pull the trigger sooner or later. But I can't imagine parting with VM. It's just too good tone to let go for me... But the hassle of all the cables and digital circuitry I use now to make VM 2 channel amp might change my mind and go for a real multichanneler, as I have found out many of VM's goodness is lost in a process...

Will definitely check out this one!
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

Vemmy
<25
<25

Postby Vemmy » 16 Jan 2010, 02:06

I must say that what I've heard through Theatre and Youtube sounds pretty impressive, but I still don't think modeling amps are for me. There is just something that doesn't sound right... I'll just stick to valve technology.
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary
Marshall 1982
Marshall 6960
Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD APS-1 x3)
Lector Mosrite
Epiphone Les Paul LQ (MIJ, SD SH-14)

toxx
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby toxx » 16 Jan 2010, 05:16

Vemmy wrote:There is just something that doesn't sound right... I'll just stick to valve technology.
Yep.

Return to “Marshall JMD1”