Moderator: longfxukxnhair

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 59 times

Discovered something interesting about the JMD effects loop

Postby noise5150 » 19 Dec 2010, 15:25

Since I got my JMD I have been experimenting with the settings and I have found something useful with regards to the effects loop being engaged. I don't use any external effects with it but I have found that with certain amp models, engaging the effects loop and turning the mix level on the back up about 1/4 of the really brings out the mids and livens up some of the amp settings. Anyone else find this to be the case?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Discovered something interesting about the JMD effects l

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Dec 2010, 16:12

Hmmm, never tried it as that amp has all the effects I need built in. I wonder if this is normal.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Hellhound » 19 Dec 2010, 16:41

I have had no need to use the loop either. Which preamps do you find it works best with? Does it get even more pronounced when you turn up the mix? It's 12.30am here, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out :sleep
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noise5150 » 19 Dec 2010, 18:19

It seems to improve the sounds for the 5-16 settings (doesn't seem to affect the cleans as much), not that I had a problem with them before. The JMP-1 (9) section sounds alot better with it on. I love that setting but found it to be a little "muffled" if you will. By engaging the effects loop it seems to "liven" it up a little. If you guys have a chance try it out and let me know what you think. For reference, I am going through a 2x12 cab with V30s but I also hook it up to my Vintage Modern cab with Greenbacks sometimes as well.

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Hellhound » 20 Dec 2010, 08:04

Well I had a go at this and there is a definite boost on some of the channels. It seems to work in a similar way to other Marshall amps in that the fx loop can also be used as a small boost. It's very useful if you are a bedroom player, as on some of the preamps it can give you an at volume tone without the volume, nice. Turning the master volume up really clears the mud up but this is great at lower volumes. Thanks for the tip! I've had a jmd for months now and I still haven't discovered all it's tones, this tip will add even more tones! :rocker
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Cry Baby Wah

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noise5150 » 20 Jan 2011, 06:40

Not sure if anyone will come back to this thread but Ive read a few people saying they have replaced the stock power tubes in the JMD. I am totally happy with the sound I am getting now but I was wondering if anyone has done this, what tubes you used and what the results were?

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Hellhound » 21 Jan 2011, 01:49

I have changed the standard valves to JJ valves. This produces a much warmer sound and a smoother distortion. I would recommend changing them as to my ears the JJ's are far superior.
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Cry Baby Wah

technoriff
<25
<25

Postby technoriff » 23 Jan 2011, 19:02

Hey Noise5150 - Thanks!; that was a neat discovery you've made, and I've been playing around with A-B'ing with and w/o the Effects Loop engaged with no effects in the loop at all - just using it as a boost. I've found it can actually add quite a significant boost on all preamps except for the Cleans with the maximum somewhere around the Noon mark midway between Dry and Wet. Pushing the FX Level button in and out (+4dBu/-10dBV) does not seem to matter when no effects are present. Another pleasant side-effect with this boost is that it seems to increase the overall guitar level over the noise level - effectively pushing the noise floor downwards. This in turn lessens or even eliminates (in some cases) the need for engaging the noise gate, thus freeing up the other Modulation effects for use, and also giving a truer sound without cut-off.

As far as trying other tubes, I did swap in a pair of JJ EL34Ls and do find that the overall sound is smoother and more balanced to my ears - this confirms what I've been reading on the "Tubes in the JMD1" topic on this forum (http://www.marshallvintagemodern.com/vi ... =48&t=6033). I also tried a 12AX7 preamp tube from my Mesa in place of the stock tube. Those results are inconclusive at this time so I'm seriously thinking of getting a JJ version of this one as well to continue research.

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noise5150 » 24 Jan 2011, 08:05

Hey technoriff I'm glad I was able to offer information that helped your tone! I am really happy with the tone of my JMD and I prob wont change the tubes out right now but down the road I may experiment and see how it sounds. I'm a tone nut and will often fire up both my DSL and JMD (both 50 watts) and play them side by side. One thing I have found is that the JMD sounds better my ears through my 2x12 Avatar cab with V30s as opposed to the Vintage Modern cab that I usually have my DSL going through. The more I use the JMD the more I am convinced that although nothing will ever replace a cranked JCM800 or maybe a DSL, that the future of amps is gonna be these types of "hybrids" at least for the average person/gigger.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 24 Jan 2011, 13:49

noise5150 wrote:It seems to improve the sounds for the 5-16 settings (doesn't seem to affect the cleans as much), not that I had a problem with them before. The JMP-1 (9) section sounds alot better with it on. I love that setting but found it to be a little "muffled" if you will. By engaging the effects loop it seems to "liven" it up a little. If you guys have a chance try it out and let me know what you think. For reference, I am going through a 2x12 cab with V30s but I also hook it up to my Vintage Modern cab with Greenbacks sometimes as well.
Tried this out earlier today. I thought it would be a subtle difference but it's a pretty dramatic boost. Like technoriff said it seems to peak at the halfway point. Makes as much difference in level as a whole number's worth on the Master Volume and about 1 1/2 numbers on the Volume, which is a bit.

Just so happens I've been playing the #9 - Classic Overdrive (JMP-1) a lot lately and that's what it was set on. When switching the loop off the "regular" sound really seemed diminished and I thought "leave it on". It might be imagination but I swear I hear some increased and very singing mid-harmonics there with it on, more than just a louder level. More lively, as you say.

Cool find, noise5150. :Cheers
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

technoriff
<25
<25

Postby technoriff » 24 Jan 2011, 14:57

Hey Noise5150 - Yeah, in fact I think your Effects Loop discovery may be the gem tip in this entire JMD1 sub-forum. I think it improves the sound more significantly for various preamps than changing the tubes did, though it still is a lot of fun trying all of these tweaks and changes. At some point, I'll play in earnest with various speaker options; for now, I'm repurposing my Roland JC-120's 2x12s as a play cabinet along with the stock 501 speaker simultaneously. The sound is way bigger and deeper, and probably will be even that much more improved with "real" speakers like Celestions.

As far as hybrid amps, I've had good luck with the Vox Valvetronix models for crunchy Vox simulation, but their overdriven models are far from what the JMDs can do. There's a Pitbull setting that's pretty good, but is noisy as hell, and the noise gate simply makes it that much more noticeable. As far as the JMD goes, I'll settle for 95%+ of the classic Marshall sound! Being able to exactly recreate a stored setting goes far in my book - really beats tweaking knobs.

-- Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:33 pm --

Hey Beck-Ola - I agree with you; I'm hearing more richness as well as increased volume. And I'm finding myself leaving it on now as it sounds lifeless without it! Perhaps this is how the distortion addiction starts? :jam

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noise5150 » 24 Jan 2011, 21:46

hey guys since my first post I have realized that turning the effects loop about half way up is the sweet spot. I also find that it helps the JMP-1 setting the most. Without it, this preset sounds a little muffled. In fact, thats the setting that I was using when I "discovered" this function. I love that setting and its sort of my go-to preset on the JMD now. BTW I never played through a real JMP-1 does anyone know how accurate it is?

Return to “Marshall JMD1”