Moderator: longfxukxnhair

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Went to the church of JMD on Sunday.

Postby guitarest » 23 Jan 2011, 23:43

So we have had some personnel changes in the band and I am now playing full time guitar with the band. I have been playing guitar for 30 plus years and picked up bass a few times most recently when our bass player flaked out and stopped showing up. So today I went to practice with my Les Paul (Gawd I love wine red w gold hardware) and the JMD although I was using the singers 1960A cab. His cab has a 1960 JCM 900 plate on it; unsure what speakers are in the cab. So I set up next to the other guitar player who has a Crate SS Head and 4X12 angled cab and he uses a digitec floor unit for his tone.

Well long story short he is really serious about getting a JMD now; I used just the first bank that I programed myself and it tore a new sonic hole in his set up. From the very clean with a little chorus to my Angus Young inspired patch to the scooped out Heavy Metal patch then moving on to the lead patch which has a little delay, verb and all patches except the first one use the noise gate.

What a great amp; I am so glad I took a leap of faith when I purchased the 1/2 stack without even hearing it. We have two weekends free back to back and start gigging again on Feb 3rd. I'll try to get a video for yall to hear my rig. One thing for sure I have many guitars and nothing comes close to that Les Paul/Marshall tone; not even the Ibanez Jem.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Went to the church of JMD on Sunday.

Postby surfnorthwest » 24 Jan 2011, 06:49

With the right speakers the JMD1 is a serious gigging amp. Hands down the most versitle Marshall ever made. Once peeple get over the idea of digital preamps going into EL34s more people will try it. The amp isn't without a learning curve but once you get the basics down you can dial in about anything. Very under appreciated amp IMO. Also it is one of the best amps to use in the studio, the emulated line out sounds great for direct and silent recording.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Went to the church of JMD on Sunday.

Postby guitarest » 24 Jan 2011, 08:19

I totally agree, and I am more than pleased with the amp. Yes there is a slight learning curve although being around tube amps for 30 years its pretty basic except for the 16 preamp types. Its been on stage before but for only 3 songs; now it will be tasked for the entire night.

I have not used it to record yet although that will soon happen once I have some free time.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Return to “Marshall JMD1”