Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Sebb
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Got one!!

Postby Sebb » 01 Feb 2011, 07:43

My JMD501 arrived yesterday. I plugged in my old 30W Fender SS amp while the tubes warmed up for the first time, just so I could compare. Of course the JMD is awesome, and I expected that, what I didn't quite expect was just how much I could now hear the actual *guitar*, the actual strings vibrating, the pick, my fingers. Rather than the guitar-like noise that I had before. Even on high gain settings.

One other thing - I had to dime it and I was surprised (and a tiny bit disappointed) that I could bear to stay in the same room (though I could feel my clothes moving)...and that was last night. This morning it just seems louder - though I can't dime it again until my wife goes out :-). I don't know if it's my 'morning' ears vs 'evening' ears or whether brand-new tubes burn in and this affects the volume?

Loads to learn about the amp, and (see clarity comment above) how to actually play guitar. As soon as my finger tips heal....

Anyone have favorites amongst the pre-set tones?

Sebb

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Got one!!

Postby guitarest » 01 Feb 2011, 08:07

So did ya do the combo? There is no way I could dime the head and 4X12 and stay in the same room. IMO the best effect is the noise gate; its studio quality for sure no bacon cooking then its memorex commercial when you hit the strings.....

OBTW Welcome to the club.........

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Sebb
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Sebb » 01 Feb 2011, 08:50

Thanks!
Yeah the combo, and there's no way I need more volume than it has. I just like the idea of having an insanely loud beast.....
:-)

The noise gate is v effective - prob a lot to do with what was saying about being able to hear all the detail.

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby noise5150 » 01 Feb 2011, 10:05

Congrats on the new amp! If you ever thought you wanted more volume you could always hook the combo up to a 4x12 cab. I have a few favorite pre-sets that I use the most. I like pre-sets: 2 (DSL clean), 8 (1974), 9 (JMP-1) and 16 (JVM). I have those programmed in and use them alot. Very versatile and I can get almost any sound I need. I still use manual mode once in a while and experiment with different tones and its great. I also have the footswitch programmed to turn on/off delay which is awesome. On my gain selections I have the noise gate engaged and it just amazing. I have a DSL as well and my brother has his JVM right next to my gear and I can tell you that the JMD is on the same level no BS.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 01 Feb 2011, 14:10

Congratulations on the amp, Sebb. It can take some time to go through all the possibilities and get everything set up, and that's half the fun.

I have four different favorite settings that I have set up on the front panel switches and on the pedal in "Switch Store" mode:

SW1 - Clean - Classic #3
SW2 - Crunch - Full #8
SW3 - Overdrive - Classic #9
SW4 - Lead - Deep #13

SW5 - Delay on/off
SW6 - Effect Loop on/off (currently using RotoSim Leslie and Alesis Microverb4 here)

Got a Fulltone Clyde Wah in the front. Besides those four favorites there are other preamps I like too.

I use manual mode a lot at home just messing with different sounds and micro-tweaking. I have all the preamps optimized and stored and some favorite patches stored in the Preset Store mode (24 settings) and have four left empty for experimenting with new settings.

Love the Noise Gate, which is a godsend.

I turned the amp up to 10 a few times when I first got it but in my music room it's way too loud. I use a 2x12 with G12C speakers. Have not tried the combo but it would be cool to have one. Enjoy. :rocker
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Woodhead
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Woodhead » 01 Feb 2011, 15:44

good choice dude !
just when I find a setting that sounds awesome , I turn a knob and shit my pants all over again . lol .
I really like #9 and #10.
I have a 100 watt head and a vintage 30/G12-70MD 2x12 cab in my living room and it's so loud it will break things. I have a fender accoustic hanging on the wall nearby and with both volumes on noon the strings slam against the frets and it almost bounces off the wall. so much for my ears !! ha ha ha I can't hear the neighbors complain. beautiful amp and way overkill for my needs , but I love it. good luck and have fun.
I know it's only rock and roll , but I like it .

Return to “Marshall JMD1”