interested in JMD-1 head or combo but...

JMD1 Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

rabies
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

interested in JMD-1 head or combo but...

Postby rabies » 24 Feb 2011, 14:36

made in China? hmmm. Mesa doesn't make anything anywhere other than USA (hence the hefty price tag along with boutique makers such as Rivera, Diezel, Bogner, etc.)

Seems kinda expensive for MIC.

found one used for $650: http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/2213039018.html

how reliable are these amps?

-- Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:37 pm --

why is JMD made in China but VMs are made in UK?
Rivera S120
Marshall VM 2266
Ibanez RG1570 (for sale)
Epi Elitist LP
Mesa 412
Genz-Benz 212

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: interested in JMD-1 head or combo but...

Postby guitarest » 24 Feb 2011, 22:14

Its made in Vietnam not China and its a great amp. Since I purchased mine (8 months ago) all my other amps like the 5150 half Stack, my other Marshalls, Vox, Tech21's are collecting loads of dust because this is a great amp. Mesa are decent amps if you want a one dog pony but if you want a amp that is able to go from one extreme to another this is the amp. Just a FYI just because a amp is made in USA does not mean its a great amp; Mesa is expensive because people are willing to pay for the name. Just like Gibson; is a Gibson LP Custom actually play 4 thousand dollars better or sound better than a Gibson LP Studio; not hardly and the Custom/Studio both use exactly the same electronics.

I have the JMD Half Stack and its more than provn its worth to me since I actually gig with the amp.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 Feb 2011, 08:06

Something made in China does not equate into cheap shit like it used to, fact is with economics being what it is China or other Asian countrys reduce the costs of manufacturing so comapanys can stay competitive, I don't like it but I don't run the world either. The bigger question is the QC (quality control) and oversight of that manufacturing process.

I have had the JMD1/100 head since it first came out and have had zero issues and don't expect any either. It is a fantastic amp.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

rabies
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rabies » 25 Feb 2011, 08:39

they're hard to find used (like the peavey 6534) but i'm thinking i need to buy that amp.
Rivera S120
Marshall VM 2266
Ibanez RG1570 (for sale)
Epi Elitist LP
Mesa 412
Genz-Benz 212

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 25 Feb 2011, 11:52

guitarest wrote:Its made in Vietnam not China and its a great amp. Since I purchased mine (8 months ago) all my other amps like the 5150 half Stack, my other Marshalls, Vox, Tech21's are collecting loads of dust because this is a great amp. Mesa are decent amps if you want a one dog pony but if you want a amp that is able to go from one extreme to another this is the amp. Just a FYI just because a amp is made in USA does not mean its a great amp; Mesa is expensive because people are willing to pay for the name. Just like Gibson; is a Gibson LP Custom actually play 4 thousand dollars better or sound better than a Gibson LP Studio; not hardly and the Custom/Studio both use exactly the same electronics.

I have the JMD Half Stack and its more than provn its worth to me since I actually gig with the amp.
JMD is made in China. MA is made in Viet Nam. :winking
Still my guitar gently weeps

rabies
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rabies » 25 Feb 2011, 13:14

thx for clarification Steve. I just had my Rivera S120 serviced at Rivera Burbank (HQ) and after 3-4 weeks (NAMM is a good excuse!) and 22 caps and biasing (cap job done), cost me $300. Labor was quoted at $80/hr. Of course they bill those rates to fund the Audi the tech was driving and the Audi that Rivera Sr. himself was driving.

that amp cost me $800 used and it was originally $2700 + tax. Damn! No wonder these Chinese amps are so much cheaper. They bike in to work (or public transport), not high-end German vehicles!

But my Rivera has been very reliable and they use hi-quality parts. Mesa says the same. Can't say the same for Marshall but I've had few issues with my Marshalls in the past.

For example, I talked to the Diezel rep at the Diezel booth at NAMM 2011 and he said one of the reasons the Diezel amps cost so much more is the hi-quality hand-wound trannies (in Germany). He said most amps used cheap Chinese $20 trannies. Not sure about Mesa or Bogner or Marshall for that matter. Also, the R&D jacks up the cost as well. So it's not just parts + labor, it's R&D, marketing, parts + labor, (and other factors as well).

I'm not a pro, so I don't mind having a few issues here and there and have had problems with used and new Mesa amps as well.

-- Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:41 pm --

guitar world demo sounds like crap to me:
Rivera S120
Marshall VM 2266
Ibanez RG1570 (for sale)
Epi Elitist LP
Mesa 412
Genz-Benz 212

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 Feb 2011, 15:37

You can find a good demo of the JMD1 below. It showcases each preamp as well as its settings

http://www.marshallamps.jp/html_site/jm ... ta_en.html
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 25 Feb 2011, 17:14

Thanks for setting me straight Steve.

This is the first time I have heard and viewed the GW Review of the JMD; wow what the he11 did they record that with? It sounds like a real cheap mic going into a cassette deck; real thin sound for sure.... I am so happy my amp sounds way better than that.

Jocko

Makkon
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Makkon » 26 Feb 2011, 06:43

I own a JMD102 and a JVM410H.
I think there is a reason you don't see many JMD's on the used market.
It would definitely be a regret sale/trade item.

If the JMD got stolen .... I would buy another one.......nuff said.

(Though I would go with the head as I have come to realize , I am not a combo player) :winking

Cheers on your new purchase. :Thumbs

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 26 Feb 2011, 06:46

rabies wrote:For example, I talked to the Diezel rep at the Diezel booth at NAMM 2011...... He said most amps used cheap Chinese $20 trannies. Not sure about Mesa or Bogner or Marshall for that matter.
The Diezel rep is talking bollocks!

We certainly don't compromise on quality of parts just because we have some of our ranges manufactured in the far east. Why would we? Every mortal thing in those amps is specified and approved by us to the same standards as the UK manufacturing. I suspect it's the same for other reputable brands too.

Maybe the very cheap valve amps on the market use cheap transformers but how else are they going to meet the price point they do. I reckon they believe most of their amps will be played at bedroom level thereby never getting the transformers anywhere near max temperature.

-- Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:48 pm --

JMD410H?? I assume you meant a JVM410H.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 26 Feb 2011, 06:49

Makkon wrote:I own a JMD102 and a JMD410H.
I think there is a reason you don't see many JMD's on the used market.

If the JMD got stolen .... I would buy another one.......nuff said.

Cheers on your new purchase. :Thumbs
Thats the first thing I would do which would be buy another head. The second thing would be track that fool down and beat the crap out of him. Bandage him up and help him heal give him extra vitamins to speed the process. Take him back to the doctor and get a clean bill of health then beat the crap out of him again. Continue this process for every day it took to get the JMD back....

-- Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:56 am --
SteveD wrote:
rabies wrote:For example, I talked to the Diezel rep at the Diezel booth at NAMM 2011...... He said most amps used cheap Chinese $20 trannies. Not sure about Mesa or Bogner or Marshall for that matter.
The Diezel rep is talking bollocks!
Don't get worked up Steve, let the amp speak for itself. I know in my areaI am the only one gigging with a JMD and every show there are those who love the tone my amp has. I also throw them for a small loop since I modded the head replacing the black vinyl piping with the white and replacing the non-lighting rocker with one that lights..... The Marshall dealer in this area has sold a few amps now (heads and combo's) yet none of those people are gigging with the JMD.

Wish me luck doing a show tonight although mostly a bass player although I have a few tunes that I will be playing on guitar. I am thinking about bringing the 22 year old RG550 tonight to the gig, kinda funny the guitar will be older than a few there....

Jocko

Makkon
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Makkon » 26 Feb 2011, 06:58

SteveD wrote:
JMD410H?? I assume you meant a JVM410H.
They didnt tell you Steve ?
New Model for the JMD line , by high demand from the JVM owners , its a crossbreed/crossbreed amp. :bgrin

Sorry , just woke up after a 110 hour work week. :Thumbs

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 26 Feb 2011, 07:09

Must be one of the new analogue amps that emulates a digital amp. :bgrin

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs

Postby guitarest » 26 Feb 2011, 07:56

SteveD wrote:Must be one of the new analogue amps that emulates a digital amp. :bgrin
I heard about that amp; it uses a 5 1/4 floppy disk to import and back up data.

Jocko

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby noise5150 » 28 Feb 2011, 13:24

I highly recommend this amp. I have the JMD50 head and I have it paired with a 2x12 cab with V30s and I LOVE it. I also have a 50 watt DSL. I have owned 2 Mesas over the years and sold both a while back (I didn't care for the tone in the end). The quality is great and its an amp that allows me to play without the need for extra pedals or effects. I would gig with it. Since I have the head I cant comment on the combos but I assume there is gonna be a tonal difference going through a larger 2x12 or 4x12. One more thing, if you do get a JMD, make sure you try engaging the effects loop with the settings with the level around half way (even if you don't hook up any effects). This will add a boost to your settings that you may enjoy as I do.

Return to “Marshall JMD1”