Moderator: longfxukxnhair

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Open another can of worms.....

Postby guitarest » 01 Apr 2011, 11:48

Alright quick question for those who really know the amp. I practice with two different bands right now and one band I use the 1960a so I have no issues with them since the cab stays at the rehearsal space. The other band practices at a low volume so I have a perfect solution or so I believe I do. I can't keep my other cab (1960b) there so I have to haul everything in my Mustang. So I have a Mini Marshall Stack that has 2 1X10 cabs and they sound frigging nice so I have been dragging these cabs to that practice. These are at 8ohms and since we are at way lower volumes I was wondering what problems if any might rise using these speakers? I run both cabs out of the side that that allows for running 2 cabs; I do not daisy chain the cabs just plugged straight in.

Steve?

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Open another can of worms.....

Postby Beck-Ola » 01 Apr 2011, 13:10

The two separate 8 ohm cabs will result in a 4 ohm load even when plugged into the separate jacks on the amp.

I don't think any harm would be done, especially at low volumes. But for whatever reason there seems to be strong encouragement on this particular amp to use the proper load. I've been told to do it "at my own risk" or something like that. For that reason I've avoided connecting two 8 ohm cabs to the JMD. Most amps they say a 2:1 mismatch is safe. Not sure about this one. :dunno

Hopefully Steve will give the thumbs up to you!
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 02 Apr 2011, 03:42

Well, again I have to recommend matching the total load to the amp as is protocol for us. However, there is no guarantee that the amp will come to any harm with a mismatch, especially at low volume, but, if the amp does break down the temptation to blame the mismatch will prevail whether that was the cause or not.

Are your 1 x 10 cabs 8 ohms each giving a total load of 4 ohms, or are they 16 ohms each giving a total load of 8 ohms?

The second configuration above would be fine.
Still my guitar gently weeps

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 03 Apr 2011, 19:29

The cabs are the ones that come with the Mini Marshall Zakk Wylde 15 watt amp, each cab is 8ohms and one is plugged into the left side and another is plugged into the right side. They actually sound pretty good, although I have gone ahead and decided to run a 16ohm 2X12 cab with Cel 75s in each side.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

Return to “Marshall JMD1”