Moderator: longfxukxnhair

335guy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

First impression- new JMD1

Postby 335guy » 30 Aug 2011, 21:35

Picked up a new JMD1 combo 1x12 and was at band practice within 20minutes. Playing a MIM strat tonight. Really impressed so far with the dry tone. Much more responsive to touch/volume controls that my ancient 2112 processor. Only played on maybe 1-5 preamps. Doing some Joe Walsh stuff and the tone was all over it. I will try some of the settings you guys listed when I get time. Not parking the Granger, in fact, Ive got a switchbone that will allow me to use the Granger and all its glorious tone untouched and spice it up with the JMD. The amp does respond to dynamics very much like a 100% tube amp, pretty impressed so far.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: First impression- new JMD1

Postby surfnorthwest » 31 Aug 2011, 19:56

Congrats man, you will love the JMD1. The factory presets are actually pretty good to start tweaking with. There is a bit of a learning curve with the JMD but all those options are so good to have. Once you get the amp down you will be amazed.

Still my favorite setting I use all the time is

NO PEDALS

Preamp: Lead 16. Modern Pre-Amp:
Gain: 8
Bass: 8
Middle: 3
Treble: 6
Pre Volume: 5
Modulation Adjust: Gate (all the way to 0)
Modulation Depth: 4.5
Delay Adjust: Analog (set tap tempo medium)
Delay Level: 7
Reverb: 2.5
Presence: 0
Master 6
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 01 Sep 2011, 08:12

I lov my lil JMD and still use her without pedals except for a wah, its a killer amp and your right tone just pours out of this amp.

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

335guy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby 335guy » 25 Sep 2011, 20:10

Had a chance to spend 3-4 hours with with JMD/Granger and my new pedal board arrangement with the switch bone today. Holy crap it was awesome. I still have not programmed any presets, just walked thru all the settings and worked with a little splash of the effects. I just got thru seeing Journey/Foreigner/NightRanger a couple weeks back. Let me tell you that I LITERALLY have some mojo tone on par with those acts (still can't play for shit, can't have it all I guess :dunno ). I am setting the Granger up with a early 70s rock tone and adjusting the JMD1 with a little more grit in the cleaner patches while cleaning everything up with the volume knob. The JMD continues to impress with its ability to clean up. Im not going to say that it sounds as good as the amps it models, but it damn sure sounds good to me. I took every distortion pedal off my board and put them in the desk drawer, no need for them. I'm running the Switchbone ( which has an awesome ass boost in it as well) WahWah, tuner and a Boss delay for just a touch on the Granger at times. Blending all that together with the JMD is just awesome. As you can tell by the meandering post, I am pumped about this set up.

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 25 Sep 2011, 20:23

I always like seeing posts when guys are happy with their amps. Seems like guys are always wanting a new or different amp and are never satisfied. Hell I would still just have my 1959 if not for me having to borrow a amp one night which was the Vintage Modern. Had to have one.

I still have not tried a JMD, I am afraid I might like it and I am to damm broke anymore to get the creditcard from mama.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

335guy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby 335guy » 25 Sep 2011, 20:37

The JMD has got some great tones in it. I especially like the cleaner preamps, I think preamp 1,2,3 all sound great dry. Its got balls too, the distortion tones are quite impressive. I had mention in an earlier post the Jubilee series. I may still pull the trigger on a 50th anniversary edition limited production run of what ever they come out with, but it wont be because I'm lacking tone. The combo of the Granger and JMD is fantastic. I can tell you that guys like Johnson/Bonamassa and the like that play multiple amps have done their homework by the time we hear them. I hear great things in my set up now, but there is alot of tweaking to do for sure.

Mpesta
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Mpesta » 06 Oct 2011, 08:46

The JMD is a great amp! You'll love it for years. I've had mine for about 4-5 months and am still figuring things out but wow, there's a lot in there.

Enjoy!

Return to “Marshall JMD1”