Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Gixxalee
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Boost pedals

Postby Gixxalee » 29 Apr 2008, 13:09

I'm thinking of getting a boost pedal for boosting my signal for solos mainly any sugestions and where in the chain would it want to go. Been looking on the bay and there are a few of interest theres an MXR 401 an electro harmonics lpb 1 and an MXR micro amp. The eh add suggested putting it in the effects loop for best results? any thoughts on any of this? :D

Cheers,
Lee.

Tnjpekar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Tnjpekar » 29 Apr 2008, 13:43

I have the micro amp and the lpb1
the mxr unit blows it away. the Eh unit gets a bit muddy in front of the vm imo.

Gixxalee
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Gixxalee » 29 Apr 2008, 14:27

ok cool I already use an MXR zakk wylde overdrive to get that little extra drive but want some thing seperate that I can set up for a boost for lead parts either with the wylde pedal or just the amps own overdrive ie highrange no other pedals.

Lee.

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 1 time

perfect volume boost pedal for solos IMHO

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 31 Aug 2008, 10:45

I feel your pain, brother, because I had the same problem. I always got my rhythm sound from the amp and/or a stomp box. Typically I wanted my solo to have the same tonal characteristics, but just be louder. A lot of pedals either color the sound, don't raise the volume level enough, or make your leads sound thin and wimpy.

In about 1995, one of magazines published a pedal roundup. Surprising, I don't think it was a guitar mag but one of the recording magazines (Electronic Musician, Recording, EQ, etc.). Anyway, one of the pedals they mentioned was the Rocktron Austin Gold. It has three knobs: Level, Drive and Pre-bass. I forget the exact spec, but the Level knob adds like 15 or 18 dbs without coloration. The Drive knob is very, very, very subtle and will add just a little hair. The Pre-bass knob adds to the low end of your tone, which can frequently be robbed, to put a little meat on the bone.

Of course, a little delay can help, but if you are already running a delay while playing rhythm then you might be out of options.

The Rocktron Austin Gold is a very under-appreciated pedal. It is always in my signal chain, no matter what rig I am using.

The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 1 time

2 generations of the Rocktron Austin Gold

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 31 Aug 2008, 10:46

I have the first generation of the Rocktron Austin Gold. The casing is metallic gold. The knobs are protected by a small "wall" on either side - almost like a trench. The LED light is yellow. Like I said before, it adds 15 or 18 dbs of volume. Apparently the pedal underwent a makeover at some point. The current version is a goldenrod yellow color. The Rocktron web site says the current version adds up to 30 db. I don't have any experience with the current version. Give it a try. If it adds too much color, try to score an old one on Ebay.
The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: 2 generations of the Rocktron Austin Gold

Postby bluesbrother » 01 Sep 2008, 00:14

I found the seymour duncan pickupbooster much nicer sounding than the mxr micro amp.
with a les paul i get a unbelieveable bluestone with a boostswitch treble booster (germanium mullard OC44)
but only in low range!!!
The seymour duncan pickup booster is a great match with all my guitars as well in low as high range!!!
Recently i picked up two two digitech pedals>>jimi hendrix experience and brian may red special>>>
These are no clean boosters but the fun is they react great on the volumeknob of the guitars compared to
other modeling pedals with two amazing acoustic presets :D
These pedals are so good i sold my soundprocessor( zoom GT9.2tt ) for it because the sound quality is so
much better.With the seymour i can also boost these pedals a little to get the amp over the edge.
Compared to most digital modeling devices they do not suck my tone and because they work great with the volume
on the guitar they are for me a good match with the VM and give some space on the pedalboard ( lots of effects
in one pedal) There expression factory is also amazing: 7 effects and 7 OD/DIST in one wah pedal that would save
some space aswell.
Now i Quit otherwise you would think i work for digitech.... :wink:
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

VirgilCaine
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby VirgilCaine » 01 Sep 2008, 07:02

I use the MXR micro amp. I've had mine for years and years. You can use it as solo boost, or to add gain, or to prevent tone/signal suck from long pedal chains. Get one, you'll be happy.

I also have a Rocktron Austin Gold that I use with my VM in low range mode. It too will overdrive your siganl and provide a nice boost for solo's. It had very usable adjustments and if you fiddle with it, it will be a colorless boost for you, or you add some very nice overdriven tones to either low or the high range....but...who'd wanna mess with the high range tones! :D
Amps:
Marshall VM 2466
Silvertone Twin Twelve
Silvertone 10xl
Silvertone 1431
Harmony H 304-A
Pignose G40V
Ampeg V4
Ampeg VT40

Guitars:
Gibson SG Classic
Fender Telecaster '52 reissue
Harmony Rocket
DeArmond M75
Old Kraftsman Lap Steel
Danelectro U2

nobita21
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby nobita21 » 03 Sep 2008, 06:23

i dont think you can push the volume on high range

i been experimenting with different pedal to get volume boost
i tired various OD pedals, clean boost, and EQ pedal. i tried it all, in front of amp and through the loop

i am interested if anyone know how to push the volume on high range (other than guitar knob)

the best pedal for VM, i reckon is MXR MC401 clean boost
specially on high range. it wont give you a volume boost as its supposed to do, but it will give a beautiful gain boost.
it will bring your sound out.

does anyone have any luck boosting volume on high range mode? (other than adding 2nd master volume)

Return to “Guitar Effects”