Postby traylestrat » 15 May 2008, 19:12

:twisted:

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 15 May 2008, 20:43

I have been using vibes for years bro and I use a Trower sound on many of my recordings. The VM is perfect for vibes as are the old JCM 800s. The trick is to only use single coil pickups, humbuckers flat suck with vibes and ruin the tone. So needless to say I only use my strat when using the vibe.

Check out the guys that use vibes and what they're playing, Beck, Trower, Hendrix, Travers, Gilmour.....seeing a pattern yet

I am currently using a Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe mixed with a Digitech Multi Chorus with excellent results, Todays vibes need a bit of chorus to make them sound exactly like the real old ones. Don't know anything about yours.

Here is a link to one of my songs I use the Micro Vibe on

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6138301
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

HydroPnik
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby HydroPnik » 08 Aug 2008, 07:27

I would suggest contacting Kevin to see how he can help you. I contacted him regarding the drop in volume when the pedal is engaged and he sent me another pot and instructions on how to install it in my Mega Vibe. This change fixed the volume drop and increased the mids so now the high/low oscilating is much less. Kevin is extremely helpful so don't hesitate to drop him an email. One thing though - don't expect a response within an hour...be patient, he'll take care of you.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall 1960TV

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: KR Mega Vibe

Postby MKB » 08 Aug 2008, 14:13

traylestrat wrote:Hey folks, finally got my VM back, also got the mega vibe in about a week ago. First off, as far as similarities go, it absolutely nails the 'Dark Side of the Moon/Breathe sound. However, I wanted that atmospheric univibe Filmore East sound. The pedal seems to have more of a high end/low end kind of oscilating swoosh as opposed to that more midrangy thing. Anyone here know what I'm refering to? I understand we're dealing with a VM amp here and not a 1959 100 watt design or a superbass, but, I'm a touch disappointed with this. I get more phasiness than I had hoped for. Order of effects doesn't change anything. Anyone with any thoughts or knows if there's anything under the hood that can be adjusted would be greatly appreciated.
One thing about the Univibe circuit that makes it work poorly with humbuckers is its low input impedance, it isn't really designed for a guitar. Low input impedances suck the life right out of a humbucker, often a single coil pickup works fine with it though. I built my own univibe from RG Keen's plans from years back, and added a FET buffer to the input, and it has lots of that midrange wobble with single coils or humbuckers. Might be worth trying this; plug any effect with a buffered bypass circuit (basically any modern Boss pedal or a Tube Screamer, basically anything WITHOUT a true bypass) between your guitar and the vibe, keep the added pedal disengaged, and see if that helps. The buffered bypass pedal provides a high impedance to the guitar even if disengaged.

Also, if you are using a lot of gain in the amp, the subtlety of the vibe sound can get lost in the wash of distortion. Try a distortion or overdrive pedal before the vibe, and run your amp clean. Univibes react really well to sources with lots of harmonics like a distortion pedal. Or plug the vibe into the VM effects loop, that'll make a difference.

58lespaulman
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby 58lespaulman » 04 Sep 2008, 05:32

Here ya go MEGAVIBE fans. And I think the megavibe sounds good with humbuckers also.

Shane Pasqualla

Return to “Guitar Effects”