Moderator: longfxukxnhair

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

looking to buy a new overdrive pedal, need advice

Postby classic rock » 19 Apr 2008, 09:45

I have an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer and I dont like it al all. I play on the low channel with the pedal on to get a little bit of a boost but its too much distortion for my taste. Ive tried to work with it but i think the thing sucks. I dont see how they say SRV used a Tube Screamer his tone is way to clean, he must have had a special one. Im looking for a lot cleaner of a boost like bb kings sound, just a little bit of grit. Money is not an option i just want to buy the best. Please help, thanks.

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby Herbvis » 19 Apr 2008, 10:19

Check fulltone fat boost http://www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html

OR

Mi audio boost and buff http://www.miaudio.com/BNB4.htm

I honestly have not tried either, but I know both companies make very high quality products.
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Marshall 1960BV with Rola G1280's
Earthquaker Devices dispatch master
Catalinbread Super Chili picoso Boost HBE Paul gilbert Detox
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator
Roland SRV2000 reverb rack

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 19 Apr 2008, 12:27

1. You could get you Tube Screamer modded by Robert Keeley. Get the "Mod Plus" mod, it will sound MUCH better both as an overdrive and as a clean boost.

http://www.rkfx.com/product.php?id=5

Also, when using a Tube Screamer as a boost you must think of the level & drive knobs as reverse. Set the level to full and use the drive to set your level. This is the way Stevie used it.

2. Get the Xotic RC Booster pedal. Ultra transparent, can add a little drive if needed & with seperate bass & treble controls gives you a nice eq as well. I highly recommend this pedal, it's the only constant on my board.

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 19 Apr 2008, 16:00

I was looking at the fulltone OCD not the fat boost 2 but has anyone used these 2?

slowpoker

As for the TS9, i do put the level knob all the way to 10 and then i slowly move the drive up but the tone gets distorted so fast. Do you have the keeley mod plus for your Tube Screamer? I think I might do that its only $60 and it claims on the site you get a good clean boost. Mainly thats what i want a good clean boost.

thanks for the input so far

classic

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 19 Apr 2008, 16:24

Fulltone OCD is awesome with the VM. Quite a few people on this forum use it, including myself. Also, about SRV he used 2 tubescreamers in the chain sometimes.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 19 Apr 2008, 18:18

classic rock wrote: Do you have the keeley mod plus for your Tube Screamer? I think I might do that its only $60 and it claims on the site you get a good clean boost. Mainly thats what i want a good clean boost.
Not at the moment but I've had all the versions (Ts9, Ts808, Mod Plus, Baked Mod, True Bypass etc) of it in the past. I will probably be getting another one in the not so distant future. If you want a great blues tone that easily jumps out of the mix then there really insn't anything better IMO. It does effect the tone of the amp though, some like that & some don't.

I don't think you'll be happy with the OCD if just a clean boost is what you're looking for. It has quite a bit more gain than the Tube Screamer.
If you don't want to color your tone and don't want a bunch of gain I suggest either the RC or the Fat Boost. I had the original version of the Fat Boost for quite awhile. Both are excellent and will give you what I think you're looking for.

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 19 Apr 2008, 19:26

slowpokerhino wrote:
classic rock wrote: Do you have the keeley mod plus for your Tube Screamer? I think I might do that its only $60 and it claims on the site you get a good clean boost. Mainly thats what i want a good clean boost.
Not at the moment but I've had all the versions (Ts9, Ts808, Mod Plus, Baked Mod, True Bypass etc) of it in the past. I will probably be getting another one in the not so distant future. If you want a great blues tone that easily jumps out of the mix then there really insn't anything better IMO. It does effect the tone of the amp though, some like that & some don't.

I don't think you'll be happy with the OCD if just a clean boost is what you're looking for. It has quite a bit more gain than the Tube Screamer.
If you don't want to color your tone and don't want a bunch of gain I suggest either the RC or the Fat Boost. I had the original version of the Fat Boost for quite awhile. Both are excellent and will give you what I think you're looking for.

Slowpoker thanks for your advice... I heard a lot of clips and videos of the OCD and it seems like its a good effect but it seems more like the tube screamer. Im going to get the RC Booster I heard videos of it and it sounds exactly what I am looking for. I am going to keep my ts9 and get the keeley mod plus also in the no so distant future. thanks for everyones help

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 19 Apr 2008, 22:46

:wink:

Cool. I really think you'll be happy with it, I know I am.

Good call on keeping the tube screamer & the mod really is worth it. BTW, they work very well together. I liked the RC right after the TS best but try it before also to see which you prefer.

thehubinator
<25
<25

Postby thehubinator » 20 Apr 2008, 09:54

A cheapie pedal I like to use is a Danelectro Fab distortion. You can usually pick one up for 15 bucks on the bay. At this price it of course isn't true bypass, but it doesn't seem to suck tone either. I dig it! 8)
"My 2x12 is covered with elephant foreskin- if you rub it it turns into a full stack!"

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 20 Apr 2008, 10:45

slowpokerhino wrote::wink:

Cool. I really think you'll be happy with it, I know I am.

Good call on keeping the tube screamer & the mod really is worth it. BTW, they work very well together. I liked the RC right after the TS best but try it before also to see which you prefer.
Slowpoker, do you think its worth to mod the tube screamer to true bypass? Im wondering when i get the keeley mod plus, i should also make the ts true bypass. Im just not sure if i will even hear the difference between true bypass and not true bypass.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 20 Apr 2008, 10:58

From my experience the Ts9 doesn't really suck tone when off like some pedals do. I don't think it's necessary, but that my opinion. I know a lot of people will disagree.

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 20 Apr 2008, 16:53

slowpokerhino wrote:From my experience the Ts9 doesn't really suck tone when off like some pedals do. I don't think it's necessary, but that my opinion. I know a lot of people will disagree.
Thats how I feel too... I dont hear a difference when its in my effects loop turned off and when its not in the loop at all. When you use your RC booster do you put it in your effects loop or do you have your guitar > rc booster > to amp. I feel with the TS its better when its in the loop its not so distorted.

basshole
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby basshole » 20 Apr 2008, 18:09

+1 on Robert Keeley. I have a Keeley BD-2 and it rocks together with the VM.
I use it either as an overdrive or as a booster depending on the situation.
Steve Miller | Phil Lynott | Sting | Paul McCartney | Royston Langdon | Jimi | Brian Setzer

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 20 Apr 2008, 18:43

I've used it both in the loop & before. I tend to run it before just for simplicity sake (less cables) but it works equally well in both positions. It is a little cleaner in the loop. Try both & see which you prefer.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 20 Apr 2008, 19:10

basshole wrote:+1 on Robert Keeley. I have a Keeley BD-2 and it rocks together with the VM.
I use it either as an overdrive or as a booster depending on the situation.
That is a great pedal! Had that one too. :lol:
Here's an old picture showing my (then) pedalboard. Right there in the front row are the Fulltone Fat Boost & Keeley Ts-808 and Blues Driver. The only thing remaining from this rig are my Strat & the Twin (now in retirement). :cry:

Return to “Guitar Effects”