Are there any multieffects that work well with the VM?

Multi-Effects, Single Pedals, Rack Gear

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

thehubinator
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Are there any multieffects that work well with the VM?

Postby thehubinator » 17 Aug 2008, 14:00

Just wondering if anybody has tried a pod x3 live or a zoom g9.2tt, or vox tonelab with a Vintage modern with positive results. I tried a vox tonelab and a couple of distortions sounded good, some like crap and all of the effects sounded digital, this was in the front of the amp just using factory presets, and I didn't have enough time to give a good try to tweaking it in. Just looking to expand on the VM's already impressive tonal arsenal.
"My 2x12 is covered with elephant foreskin- if you rub it it turns into a full stack!"

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 Aug 2008, 19:43

Work with it yes, but sounding good is another story. I have used rack gear for years and recently got away from most of it. I have used/tried the following multi-fx with the VM;

Digitech GNX4
Digitech GSP 1101
Rocktron Vodoo Valve
TC Electronics G Sharp and G Major

IMO the VM doesn't need fx in the first place, but like many others including myself I do use them with the amp. I had very mixed results with all those units above but if I had to use one it would be the GSP1101. I think you should stay away from those and just stick to good bypass type pedals for your effects with this amp. Rack multi effects are great but if I were to use them again I would simply get another Marshall 9200 and use the multifx as a preamp.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

thehubinator
<25
<25

Postby thehubinator » 18 Aug 2008, 15:17

I have really noticed with this amp that all digital pedals sounds like cheap$5 arion digital, i.e. delays, chorus, etc... This confirms it if the tc electronic doesn't work well with the VM. I'll probably just pick up a good analog delay (MXR carbon copy any good? Others?), and maybe another boutique o.d. pedal such as the duncan twin tube mayhem for modern high gain tones as the VM covers everything up to late 80's perfectly in my opinion. Tap dancing is a small price to pay for the tonal palette I'll have.
"My 2x12 is covered with elephant foreskin- if you rub it it turns into a full stack!"

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Aug 2008, 16:00

The VM takes pedal well, and the Carbon Copy is a excellent anolog pedal.

The G-Sharp and G-Major worked with the VM but IMO they could color the tone so much you would loose the heart of the VM's tone you paid for. For what its worth below are the pedals I currently use with the amp that have worked out.

Fulltone Clyde deluxe wah
Fulltone OCD
Digitech Multi Chorus
MXR EVH Flanger (going to remove this from my chain, way to powerful)
MXR Phase 100
Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe
MXR Carbon Copy
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 18 Aug 2008, 22:08

Surf is right the VM does not take these devices very well.
I have a zoomG9.2tt and the sound quality with the VM is not very good.(i am very picky about tone)
As well in front or in the return of the VM.
Recently i bought a 1974X and got stellar results. :D
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 19 Aug 2008, 14:33

I borrowed a friends PODxt Live when I first got the VM. Tried for about 2 hrs. & every way I could come up with but it just didn't sound very good. Gave up & gave it back.

thehubinator
<25
<25

Postby thehubinator » 19 Aug 2008, 18:05

Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree, the VM does take analog pedals better than any other amp I've ever owned. (It's also the only amp I've ever owned that sounds equally good with a Les Paul or Strat depending on my mood.) I don't like the sound of my digital delay (Digitech) pedal through it and per surf, I'll be replacing it with a MXR analog delay. I think I'll have to try out that twin tube mayhem pedal next, and then I'll be done. Every tone I wanted at my fingertips (and volume knob).

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 20 Aug 2008, 13:30

I have 2 digital pedals which actually work very good with the VM:
EHX holier grail reverb pedal.
Boss DD20( A EHX deluxe memoryman(sold it) is better but like most
analog delays very short delay time and no presets possible)
In a versatile setup two delays 1. analog and 2. digital is very handy.
I can not look in your wallet((2 delays) but i regretted i sold my analog delay because
i really liked both for what they are good for.Even brian may switched to digital delays.
I would disagree when somebody would say digtal pedals would not sound right with the VM.
I have heard from guys who are actually in this stuff, they put a device some sort of harmonizer
(i can not recal what is was) between the soundprocessor and the amp and solved the problem.
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

Return to “Guitar Effects”