Moderator: longfxukxnhair

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: My AFD100 Arrived Today!

Postby kissfanps » 10 Jan 2011, 09:29

I have a feeling some KT-66's might sound pretty good in this.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 10 Jan 2011, 10:05

Hellhound wrote:Thanks for that :Thumbs

I used the basic settings that you listed. I plugged into Input One, bridge pickup on full.

The tone is spot on. But it is still lacking gain and saturation. The closest sound that I can compare it to is Rocket Queen, original AFD version. That last chunky rhythm part is closest for gain and tone to my ears.
What speakers are you using? If you're using the 1960a with G12-75s you certainly won't have the gain structure you're looking for, in fact go to the Vintage Modern Discussion forum here and go to the thread JVM vs VM and you'll see all of us who are complaining about G12-75s :Thumbs .

Switch to Vintage 30 speakers and your gain problem will be solved. G12-75s make even the VM sound too tame. It sounds like it cuts almost 25% of your gain when you use the G12-75 speakers. Use Vintage 30s or try to find a H&K Vortex cab for cheap lol. Hell or some Greenbacks!

Also set your pick up height as Seymour Duncan recommends, which is basically as close to the strings as possible without touching them...now there is a formula go to their website they have the exact measurement, Slash uses Seymours reccommended height for his pick ups as do I.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kissfanps » 10 Jan 2011, 12:14

So let me ask a question. Can you get a vintage 1959 tone outa this thing by turning down the gain or is it always a little heavier?
Marshall Class 5
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Hellhound » 10 Jan 2011, 14:08

I am using the 1960 AV, so no problem there. My pick up heights were low. I raised them up to the 1/8 inch recommended and then tried again.............. You'll be pleased to hear that it now has that tone and more gain and saturation. It was still lacking a little but I turned up the power control to noon for a few seconds, (this amp is really, really loud!) and that was much more like it :rocker In fact, I like the amp even more now, so thanks for the tip :Thumbs

I've never played a 1959, so don't know if it does or not. It does clean up beautifully though. If you have a couple of well known songs that use the 1959 and no effects, I'll give it a try.
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kissfanps » 10 Jan 2011, 14:40

Just about any rock and roll to come out of the 60s and 70s. All Right Now?
Marshall Class 5
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Hellhound » 11 Jan 2011, 01:50

The review says it has trowers tone as well but I haven't heard his stuff yet myself. The AFD has lived up to all my expectations and there's still so much more to discover.

This is a snippet of the review:

'As well as duplicating practically any Slash tone, the AFD100 can also capture almost any classic Marshall sound from the last 30 odd years with ease - Blackmore, Trower, Page, you name them - we ran through a list of classic riffs and ticked every box without hesitation'.
:party
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

Richard_H
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Richard_H » 11 Jan 2011, 15:11

Slashwannabe1 wrote:
Hellhound wrote:Thanks for that :Thumbs

I used the basic settings that you listed. I plugged into Input One, bridge pickup on full.

The tone is spot on. But it is still lacking gain and saturation. The closest sound that I can compare it to is Rocket Queen, original AFD version. That last chunky rhythm part is closest for gain and tone to my ears.
What speakers are you using? If you're using the 1960a with G12-75s you certainly won't have the gain structure you're looking for, in fact go to the Vintage Modern Discussion forum here and go to the thread JVM vs VM and you'll see all of us who are complaining about G12-75s :Thumbs .

Switch to Vintage 30 speakers and your gain problem will be solved. G12-75s make even the VM sound too tame. It sounds like it cuts almost 25% of your gain when you use the G12-75 speakers. Use Vintage 30s or try to find a H&K Vortex cab for cheap lol. Hell or some Greenbacks!

Also set your pick up height as Seymour Duncan recommends, which is basically as close to the strings as possible without touching them...now there is a formula go to their website they have the exact measurement, Slash uses Seymours reccommended height for his pick ups as do I.
As close to the strings without touching them? That can't be right at all.
Slash's pickups are rarely higher than the mounting ring itself, if you need to raise the pickup higher than the pickup-ring, you're doing something wrong.

My Sheptones (tributes) are mounted fairly low, but i don't really have any problem with volume/gain and harmonics etc.. It's all about how you "attack" the strings with your pick and right hand technique.

The pickups aren't that high in these pictures.

-- Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 am --

Nowadays Slash uses Red Monkey Straps, but does anyone know what brand he used back in the late AFD-UYI period?

http://www.wildwestguitars.com/redmonkey.htm
Only 65 bucks for the "Slasher" one, instead of 125 at the official RM-store

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby Herbvis » 11 Jan 2011, 15:54

http://fullbreach77.com/index.php?route ... uct_id=255

Heres a link to his leather jacket. Ive had the same one for 6 or 7 years, very nice!
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Marshall 1960BV with Rola G1280's
Earthquaker Devices dispatch master
Catalinbread Super Chili picoso Boost HBE Paul gilbert Detox
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator
Roland SRV2000 reverb rack

Richard_H
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Richard_H » 12 Jan 2011, 07:33

kevinantich wrote:http://fullbreach77.com/index.php?route ... uct_id=255

Heres a link to his leather jacket. Ive had the same one for 6 or 7 years, very nice!
Thanks for that friend, I'm definitely gettin one!

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 13 Jan 2011, 13:08

Richard_H wrote: As close to the strings without touching them? That can't be right at all.
Slash's pickups are rarely higher than the mounting ring itself....
That may be the case now days where he's going for a cleaner tone in the early tour last year, but back during the Use Your Illusions Era to Early VR his pick ups were set to Seymours settings, so my info was not totally updated. Oh and theres nothing wrong with setting pick ups at any height, tone is subjective, but if you want the power closer is better.

That first picture, you can tell his Rhythm Pick up looks to be set pretty low, but on the rest its anyones guess. Not all guitars are created equally with pick up rings especially Les Pauls & their copy variants, whos to say he's not close to the Seymore measurements? unless someone is physically there with a measuring device its redundant to try to say how high they are from a picture point of view.

And yes he's a bit cleaner these days...He used to set his Jubilees at 7 for gain then at the start of this tour before the AFD100 he had them at 5. Now with the AFD100 he's going back to that more agressive sound.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer

Richard_H
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Richard_H » 13 Jan 2011, 15:50

Slashwannabe1 wrote:
Richard_H wrote: As close to the strings without touching them? That can't be right at all.
Slash's pickups are rarely higher than the mounting ring itself....
That may be the case now days where he's going for a cleaner tone in the early tour last year, but back during the Use Your Illusions Era to Early VR his pick ups were set to Seymours settings, so my info was not totally updated. Oh and theres nothing wrong with setting pick ups at any height, tone is subjective, but if you want the power closer is better.

That first picture, you can tell his Rhythm Pick up looks to be set pretty low, but on the rest its anyones guess. Not all guitars are created equally with pick up rings especially Les Pauls & their copy variants, whos to say he's not close to the Seymore measurements? unless someone is physically there with a measuring device its redundant to try to say how high they are from a picture point of view.

And yes he's a bit cleaner these days...He used to set his Jubilees at 7 for gain then at the start of this tour before the AFD100 he had them at 5. Now with the AFD100 he's going back to that more agressive sound.
This is the only picture i've seen where the bridge pup is visibly higher than the pickup-ring.
But as a professional touring musician, I'm sure he & his gtr tech fiddled around with different pickup-height, string height and so forth during the course of the UYI tours ;-)

You wouldn't by any chance know where he got his guitarstraps from back then?

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 13 Jan 2011, 16:52

Richard_H wrote: You wouldn't by any chance know where he got his guitarstraps from back then?
Actually I don't know exactly, I always heard they were custom made.
1966 Fender Bandmaster

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”