Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

AFD in a band situation

Postby Hellhound » 12 Jan 2011, 05:44

I tried the AFD at rehearsal last night and I was gobsmacked. It cut through the mix with ease and everyone commented on how much better the whole band sounded and what a great amp the AFD is. The reason for the cutting treble suddenly becomes clear - the bass and other guitarists Blackstar S1-200 seemed to fill in the sound of the AFD making it rise above the mix and fill in that gap that I didn't know was there until it was filled, lol.

The boost from the FX loop works very well. I used it for the clean Unforgiven solo an AC/DC solo and the Welcome to the Jungle solo. It performed admirably with all the solos and didn't seem to alter the tone at all.

I ran the amp with all settings on 7, except power control which was at about noon - Thats just 12 watts! There were a couple of problems with feedback and the PA. This seemed to be down to the master volume and the height of the pickups. I've sinced lowered the pickups a little which helps. I turned the master volume down to noon and raised the power to 2/3 o'clock. With these setting the feedback dissapeared and a little more warmth crept into the sound.

I got a great fuzzy clean sound from the neck pickup - AFD mode, with the guitar volume on about 5, which I used for Unforgiven. Amp setting were left as above all night. The cleans aren't great really and the solos could do with some effects. So I am thinking of running the JMD100 as well. That way I can have great cleans and switch to both amps for the solos using the JMD's great effects but still having the core AFD tone underneath. I would run the AFD in AFD mode for everything else. Only problem with that set-up is I will have to cut down to 2 speakers for each amp.

Didn't use the 34 mode. For me the AFD mode just sounds so much better.

Blackmore tone? I should say so. Both pick ups, bridge on 9, Neck on 7, wow.

Thank you Marshall :clap
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: AFD in a band situation

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 Jan 2011, 07:43

Nice to hear, again the longer you have it the more you will be able to control it. Running the AFD with the JMD should be awesome. Nice to start reading some user reviews of the amp.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 12 Jan 2011, 12:11

I have never understood all the cut through the mix talk with Marshall users. Maybe because I use a 1959 but in all my years of playing Marshalls cutting through the mix has never been a issue. My issue is usally killing my Mesa playing lead player and my drummer.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 12 Jan 2011, 12:36

What cab and speakers are you using?
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 12 Jan 2011, 12:51

kissfanps wrote:What cab and speakers are you using?
Been using 2 older Marshall cabinets with 30 watt celestions.
I also have a newer Marshall 1960 lead.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 13 Jan 2011, 17:14

wildone wrote:I have never understood all the cut through the mix talk with Marshall users. Maybe because I use a 1959 but in all my years of playing Marshalls cutting through the mix has never been a issue. My issue is usally killing my Mesa playing lead player and my drummer.
Hahaha, yeah I totally agree!...especially against a Metal Amp.

Even with my 100watt 2x12 cab I could cut through my drummers room mate's Randall 400watt 4x12, no doubt he had the fullness & Bass but man could I sit on top of the mix and drown him out even with a 100 watt cab and my 2466. With my 4x12 it was no challenge what so ever.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”