AFD 100 arrived today. Initial review!

Signature AFD Slash Amplifier

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: AFD 100 arrived today. Initial review!

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 14 Apr 2011, 13:08

gtrman wrote:
Vavoom wrote: I would like to try this amp through all green backs.
I do and it sounds absolutely wonderful.
My 1960AHW delivers a cool vintage bluesy sort of 80's rock sound.
I dont have my V30 cab at home right now so I can't do a A/B test but I really dig the greenbacks with it and I assume it will be my preferred cab with the AFD.
Hey you gotta do me a favor! you're pretty much the only one who can given the amount of gear you have! lol...but if you have a Guitar with Alnico 2's or stock Gibson pick ups set them the following way...

Bridge Pick up- 1/8th inch from the bottum of both E strings

Neck- 7/32 inch from bottum of both E strings

measure with highest fret pressed down on your guitar...

Then try that on the #34 mode and see if it gives it a sustain/gain boost...it did on my VM and I'm like a school girl now, I can only imagine how it sounds on the AFD100. It should fatten up the #34 tone a bit as well I'm guessing as my tone got fatter on the VM.

These settings are actually Slash's pick up settings, I recently found them and couldn't believe when I set my guitar up that way how much sustain I gained from lowering the neck pick up so low and how juicy it sounded. So much so in fact I stopped using my GE-7 as a boost for metal tones. I've had Alnicos for 7 years and just now finally unleashed the tone I bought them to produce for me. I always used to set them really high for output and leave them there but not anymore!.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 14 Apr 2011, 23:37

Lemme see what I can do ... don't expect anything right away though ... i'm too busy playing now :yea
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 15 Apr 2011, 09:57

gtrman wrote:Lemme see what I can do ... don't expect anything right away though ... i'm too busy playing now :yea
Hey not a problem! whenever is fine, I was just kind of wondering if those settings would make the #34 come alive more :Cheers
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby Herbvis » 15 Apr 2011, 11:51

Hey you gotta do me a favor! you're pretty much the only one who can given the amount of gear you have! lol...but if you have a Guitar with Alnico 2's or stock Gibson pick ups set them the following way...

ill give this a try this weekend!
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Marshall 1960BV with Rola G1280's
Earthquaker Devices dispatch master
Catalinbread Super Chili picoso Boost HBE Paul gilbert Detox
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator
Roland SRV2000 reverb rack

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 15 Apr 2011, 13:56

kevinantich wrote:

ill give this a try this weekend!
I used to have mine set almost right up to the strings via Seymour Duncans reccomended settings on the pink piece of paper that comes with the pick ups, but recently I've been noticing Slash's Rhythm pick up sits pretty low in the ring and so I figured I'd google up and see if I could find his settings....man for 7 years I've missed out on what the Alnico 2s were all about!

The Slash tone is really all there, especially on the Rhythm Pick up. Lowering the Rhythm pickup like Slash does, puts the magnet further away so it allows more string vibration & sustain so you can basically get a more "Higher Gain" sounding tone. There is very very slight bit of volume difference between the pick ups but the guitar will sustain all day, what you lose in output you gain in sustain,tone & play ability.

I actually had my bridge pick up set exactly as Slash did, but even the tone of that pick up got better with tone & sustain once the rhythm pick up was lowered.

And what I mean by "better" is the fact of being a Slash tone junkie its almost all there for feel & juicyness. He's supposedly used these settings since Appetite on all of his live & studio guitars.

Tried it on my VM and I'm so excited its almost like the first time I had sex, I had to brag to everybody about it! lol I'm almost getting long winded about these pick ups but man its everything I need. Its great on the VM should be explosive on the AFD100!.
1966 Fender Bandmaster

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”