Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Slash1337
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 29 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Finally, Chris George gives us a demo of AFD100

Postby Slash1337 » 25 Dec 2010, 09:56

Def prefer the AFD to the #34. To be honest the #34 doesn't really remind me of UYI at all.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste"
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Marshall AFD100
Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
60' Gibson Goldtop LP
Epiphone Elitist LP Custom
Marshall 1960TV w/ G12H Greenbacks
Crybaby Zakk Wylde
Dunlop Heil Talk Box

http://www.facebook.com/Deadrivalsofficial

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 26 Dec 2010, 01:30

Slash1337 wrote:Def prefer the AFD to the #34. To be honest the #34 doesn't really remind me of UYI at all.
The tone is there and the amp most deffinitly capable, but there are very slight differences...for instance Use Your Illusions was recorded with a 100watt Greenback 4x12 cab and his original #34 without power scaling cranked up to 8 with the pre amp volume on 2 for the general amp sounds on the album. Keep in mind I'm pretty sure the AFD100s 100 watt rating is a static rating after distortion not pre distortion like the original #34 is, and his #34 on 8 probably put out more than 100watts! so into a Greenback cab thats gotta be melting!!!. The above info is courtesy of Adam Day Slash's old guitar tech.

Pre amp gain was adjusted for the heavier songs such as "Don't Damn Me","Locomotive","Coma" to what extent I have no clue lol.

I almost really can't comprehend him having so much gain with the amp being just on 2 for pre amp but his was modded and his all output distortion could very well be but nobody has had the chance to test that till now with the AFD100 and even so we may not get an exact tone because of what I said about the pre distortion ratings of old Marshalls and them being able to go past 100 watts and the AFD100s 100 watt ceiling.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

HF1600ie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby HF1600ie » 27 Dec 2010, 04:50

Part of the tone could be the speakers´ distortion? Would that soften the high-end?
I can hear what I think is the speaker distortion in Velvet Revolver - American Man´s Solo. It looks like something is distorting, that is not the amp. Maybe the frets of the guitar, the microphone, or the speakers.
This is one of the best tones he got, IMO.

Still, his tone in UYI is very trebly for greenies :-)

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby fortress » 29 Dec 2010, 10:19

This amp is exactly how the VM should have been done. I mean, usable effect loops that you can use for solo boost.... and a little more gain

HF1600ie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby HF1600ie » 30 Dec 2010, 05:09

I actually don´t think there´s not enough gain in the VM, and I use low output pickups, like the Alnico Pro. If I try a SD Custom custom obviously it gets more distortion.

Still, there are many different ways to do it. A solo boost can be achieved with the use of the volume pot on your guitar, or with a pedal.

They´re just different concepts. Maybe the mid-boost option on the VM could have been a gain boost with footswitch from factory. But you would loose the warmth it provides on some situations, even if it doesnt make everyone happy.

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby fortress » 30 Dec 2010, 17:24

HF1600ie wrote:I actually don´t think there´s not enough gain in the VM, and I use low output pickups, like the Alnico Pro. If I try a SD Custom custom obviously it gets more distortion.

Still, there are many different ways to do it. A solo boost can be achieved with the use of the volume pot on your guitar, or with a pedal.

They´re just different concepts. Maybe the mid-boost option on the VM could have been a gain boost with footswitch from factory. But you would loose the warmth it provides on some situations, even if it doesnt make everyone happy.

People always bring back the @you can use the volume pot@ , Man??? what kind of music are you playing?? i guess some softer music of music that dont need alot of gain. In this case, it will work, i guess. If you are playing hard rock or more heavy music, IT DOENST WORK! THE VOLUME BOOST IN THE LOOP DOESNT WORK EITHER!

I hate when people keep telling that.. Reducing your volume on the guitar just remove gain to your sound, not the overall volume. If you want the same amount of gain and have a solo boost option, the only thing that work with the VM is an attenuator with a footswitch. And also, when you are playing with another guitarist, you absolutely need a volume boost for solo.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 30 Dec 2010, 17:43

HF1600ie wrote:I actually don´t think there´s not enough gain in the VM, and I use low output pickups, like the Alnico Pro. If I try a SD Custom custom obviously it gets more distortion.

Alnico 2's may be low output but they still got more output than your average guitar hanging on the wall in a shop and thats a fact...none come close to the output I get even when adjusted dead on the strings. The Alnico 2s rock for clearity and overall power & tone.

-- Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:45 pm --
fortress wrote:

People always bring back the @you can use the volume pot@ , Man??? what kind of music are you playing?? i guess some softer music of music that dont need alot of gain. In this case, it will work, i guess. If you are playing hard rock or more heavy music, IT DOENST WORK! THE VOLUME BOOST IN THE LOOP DOESNT WORK EITHER!

I hate when people keep telling that.. Reducing your volume on the guitar just remove gain to your sound, not the overall volume. If you want the same amount of gain and have a solo boost option, the only thing that work with the VM is an attenuator with a footswitch. And also, when you are playing with another guitarist, you absolutely need a volume boost for solo.
I use the roll off method for cleans as I've gotten quite accustomed to doing it over the almost 2 years I've had the amp. For cleans that are clean enough for me I just switch to low range and back off the volume a bit on my guitar and it works good enough for what I need. As for a solo boost using the roll off for that? no way I wouldn't dream of it. I technically need more gain on my rhythm work than my solos.

The only real way around this is to mod the amp for a second foot switchable master volume pot or find someway to engage that loop switch in the back Via footswitch. I really wish the VM had that footswitchable lead master like the jubilee that would kick ass on so many levels. I also like the idea of the power scaling on the afd 100 and engaged the solo boost that way too. For now I just crank a bit louder than our rhythm guy or use a pa boost for solos, he's main job is to back me while doing solos anyway and to fatten the sound up and he understands that.

I'm playing Sweet Child O Mine tomorrow for new years eve with my cousins and his professional band & sound crew so I'll be miked up for my solos! no worries :Thumbs
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer

HF1600ie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby HF1600ie » 31 Dec 2010, 03:01

The thing about the volume was just an idea.

Obviously, there are many ways to do it, as i´ve told you !

I have used the "roll back volume pot method" as well as the "2nd master method".
I must say I liked both. The roll back just gave me the advantage to "clean" the overall mix of the sound as we were 2 guitar players and provide a cleaner perception of the songs. Otherwise, things would get a little confuse, but maybe that was due to the acoustics of the studio.
The music was Classic Rock and the "Roll back volume pot method" worked very well.

The heavier you go, you should use the "2nd master method". It also does wonders.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 31 Dec 2010, 07:00

HF1600ie wrote:The thing about the volume was just an idea.

Obviously, there are many ways to do it, as i´ve told you !

I have used the "roll back volume pot method" as well as the "2nd master method".
I must say I liked both. The roll back just gave me the advantage to "clean" the overall mix of the sound as we were 2 guitar players and provide a cleaner perception of the songs. Otherwise, things would get a little confuse, but maybe that was due to the acoustics of the studio.
The music was Classic Rock and the "Roll back volume pot method" worked very well.

The heavier you go, you should use the "2nd master method". It also does wonders.
I'm starting to think if there was a way to make the "bypass fx loop" button on the back foot switchable that would give a nice natural sounding volume cut for rhythm work and a great solo boost when you take the bypass off? anyone else think so? worked cool for me today when I was fucking around only problem was I had to reach behind the amp to disengage it for solos.

I was screwing around with the loop buttons and discovered this would probably be a cool method if harnessed lol.
1966 Fender Bandmaster

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby fortress » 31 Dec 2010, 11:50

no need to put a second volumet master, i have already a footswitchable attenuator. I use my volume pot to clean my sound for all the cleans parts

sheguitarplayer
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 2 times

Postby sheguitarplayer » 14 Feb 2011, 00:55

The effects loop works very well as a volume boost (like a 2nd master volume), whether you put any fx in there or not. Ive got an mxr delay in there with the return volume on the fx loop wound back a bit (10db is a bit too much for me) and it still gives a nice kick up for solos. It is footswitchable too.
Im new to the amp, only had it a week but Im finding it very responsive to playing technique and the guitar volume pot. That , the 2 modesand the footswitchable boost makes it a very versatile amp. No real clean to speak of, but Im not a fan of squeaky cleans anyway. Having grown up with old master volume JMP100s, I prefer the old Les Paul Rhythm pickup backed off to 2- 3 trick for cleaner sounds.

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”