Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 91 times

Here a clip of

Postby Herbvis » 11 Nov 2010, 07:29

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9860328

THis is a clip that a member of the metro amp forum made of his #36/afd clone amp. The tone is excellent :jam .

The guy who made the clip always apologizes too us for his playing hahha!

This isnt my clip, as I dont have a way to record... just thought I would share some of the progress we are all making on the metro forum

There are more clips from different people over there too that are great, this is just the most recent
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Marshall 1960BV with Rola G1280's
Earthquaker Devices dispatch master
Catalinbread Super Chili picoso Boost HBE Paul gilbert Detox
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator
Roland SRV2000 reverb rack

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Here a clip of

Postby Bountyhunter » 11 Nov 2010, 13:32

He plays a hell of a lot better than me! And that amp sounds great, imo. :jam
The fact that my playing sounds like shit to you, makes it even more fun for me.

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Herbvis » 11 Nov 2010, 13:44

Bountyhunter wrote:He plays a hell of a lot better than me! And that amp sounds great, imo. :jam

Yeah, he does play it rather well, Just the intros a bit messy lol! The tone is really great though!
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator

Acidrain1993
<25
<25

Postby Acidrain1993 » 22 Nov 2010, 20:30

where did you get this mod done? I wonder if it can be done on an SL-X...?

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 22 Nov 2010, 20:49

Man that is way to harsh for me. Sounds like a cheap distortion box through a plexi with EMGs. I only say this because the over the top gain looses note definition and takes away from the guitar.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Herbvis » 23 Nov 2010, 10:48

Acidrain1993 wrote:where did you get this mod done? I wonder if it can be done on an SL-X...?
Its not my amp or clip, but I have the same specs in my amp. There is a giant thread on the metro forum of people(including me) modding and tweaking our own amps trying to nail the afd tone(sucessfully too imo). So the work is not being done at a shop, just the members of the forum working on our own amps.

Is a slx in the jcm 900 series? I know that the mod can really only be authentically done in a superlead/plexi/2203 aka jcm 800 due to the circuitry being very similar.

wildone wrote:Man that is way to harsh for me. Sounds like a cheap distortion box through a plexi with EMGs. I only say this because the over the top gain looses note definition and takes away from the guitar.
I know the gut that did the recording put it together pretty quickly and he claims he suck at making recordings so that may have something to do with the harshness you are hearing. Also, the mod we are doing on the metro forum has an added gain pot for the extra gain stage. So with the two gain controls you are able to control the amount of gain very well. My point being that it can be turned down to allow more of the natural guitar tone through if desired :Thumbs And we are always tweaking and improving!
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 23 Nov 2010, 12:38

Personally think theres a little too much pre amp distortion going on and not enough power amp distortion to be authentic to the appetite tone, but it certianly has some of the dyanamics.

Gotta say "Out Ta Get Me" was the best display of the Appetite tone on these clips. Again if there was slightly less pre amp and more power amp distortion, I'd say it be pretty damn close. I think the AFD100s Appetite tone is actually pretty good in some clips, the song choices and production videos hurt it...and also I believe Marshall would have access to software or hardware that can analyze the original recordings as they did to get the true tone...so regardless of weather the settings sucked on the videos I think they probably have nailed the tone. This is what I'm hoping at least! lol But as stated before the #34 tone is EPIC! no matter what recording technique has been used.

And we all have to remember too...not every GNR song would have had the same Amplifier settings! Theres also been rumors that by the time he got his Les Paul copy and AFD amp the rhythm work had already been recorded on a regular JCM 800 with a Firebird guitar!!! So honestly if that is true why would he be using Nightrains rhythm as a refference? Could it be that maybe not all of the rhythm work for the songs had been recorded? we may never know, so to be safe we need to hear more Lead Work out of the AFD 100!. I'll make a point if and when I get famous to take note of everything used on every song just incase somebody finds a tone I have as iconic lol.

To me Sweet Child needed a little less distortion than in that clip and he should have kept his guitar rhythm pick up tone knob back up during the leads because it lost some of the juicyness. Not all guitars will sound the same rolled all the way down with the tone control...Slash may need to roll his all the way down to get that tone but the rest of us may only need to roll down to 5 or 6 on the tone control to get a similar tone. Slash also uses a wah during the solo at 3:35 seconds of Sweet Child and may keep it cocked slightly through the songs solos as well...if you listen closely you can hear the slight wah, then in the break down of the solo the wah use slaps you in the face. Seen him play in Italy on youtube with the wah that way and it was pretty damn close to the ambiance on the record.

Yeah and Sweet Child needs some reverb! probably the only song besides November Rain that really requires some reverb to get that ambiance and feeling of the solos along with Don't Cry.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Acidrain1993
<25
<25

Postby Acidrain1993 » 23 Nov 2010, 13:32

kevinantich wrote:
Acidrain1993 wrote:where did you get this mod done? I wonder if it can be done on an SL-X...?
Its not my amp or clip, but I have the same specs in my amp. There is a giant thread on the metro forum of people(including me) modding and tweaking our own amps trying to nail the afd tone(sucessfully too imo). So the work is not being done at a shop, just the members of the forum working on our own amps.

Is a slx in the jcm 900 series? I know that the mod can really only be authentically done in a superlead/plexi/2203 aka jcm 800 due to the circuitry being very similar.

I think i would be possible with the SL-X because, yes, it is in the 900 series, however this is the one without diode clipping. And apparently, many people say the preamp is basically a factory modded JCM 800. Simply more gain. I think it's possible to do the mod you have on this preamp, although I know you will never give out schematics. :(

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Herbvis » 23 Nov 2010, 14:30

Acidrain1993 wrote:
kevinantich wrote:

I think i would be possible with the SL-X because, yes, it is in the 900 series, however this is the one without diode clipping. And apparently, many people say the preamp is basically a factory modded JCM 800. Simply more gain. I think it's possible to do the mod you have on this preamp, although I know you will never give out schematics. :(
No secrets kept by me. I can send you a copy of the layout if you like.

Also, about the clip. Yes, reverb and some different settings would sound more authentic. I hope to be able to make some of my amp someday. We have gotten a lot of info from Tim Caswell and even some from Frank Levi confirming certain things about the mod! :Thumbs
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator

thunderkyss
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby thunderkyss » 09 Jan 2011, 10:09

I wonder how Izzy's set-up contributed to the AFD tone.

Nobody talks about Izzy.

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Vinny » 09 Jan 2011, 10:23

Slashwannabe1 wrote:Personally think theres a little too much pre amp distortion going on and not enough power amp distortion to be authentic to the appetite tone, but it certianly has some of the dyanamics.
That was what I was thinking too... Like Wildone said, it's a bit too harshy, and I also think it's due to the preamp distortion. Of course, it's personal, and I can be wrong...it's soo damn difficult to judge an internet clip...IMO

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 09 Jan 2011, 13:00

thunderkyss wrote:I wonder how Izzy's set-up contributed to the AFD tone.

Nobody talks about Izzy.
a Strat and Hallow bodied Gibson into a Fender Bassman= Izzys tone. Not much to talk about lol.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Herbvis » 10 Jan 2011, 10:59

Ive read that izzy may have also used a mesa
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator

Richard_H
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Richard_H » 10 Jan 2011, 12:45

To my knowledge, Izzy used a brand new Mesa Mk III for the AFD recordings. For guitars, i guess he used his Es175 and LP custom or something like that. Maybe a Tele too..

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”