Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Cleans and better vids.

Postby Hellhound » 21 Jan 2011, 12:00

It struck me earlier in the week that pretty much all the demos of the AFD have been at less than 12 watts. So I have been making a few vids with higher power settings and lower master volume. I've figured out how to use the Zoom Q3HD editing software, nice and easy, one click and it's mastered. This really helps with the tone and what you get here is much closer to the sound I'm hearing while I am playing.

Cleans

First time through #34 Mode, then AFD mode. I had gain on about 4 for #34 mode and then turned gain down to 3 for the AFD mode. Power on full, master 2.5, bass 7.5, treble 4.5, middle 4.5, prescence 3. Neck Pickup on about 5.5. I think the AFD mode has a sweet and warm clean. The #34 mode does sound a tad harsh clean but when the amp is cranked at volume this is less noticeable.

Red House Intro

AFD Mode, Neck Pick-Up. I forget the settings....

The Jack

#34 Mode, Bridge Pick-Up 8, Master 4.5, Power 7, everything else on 7 except treble - 5. I switch to AFD mode a little later in the vid.

I don't know what voltage you each have in your country but there's one here on UK ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-AFD-100- ... 35af5a9a6d I'm sure if you courier collect the amp the seller would be ok with it.
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: Cleans and better vids.

Postby Mats A » 21 Jan 2011, 12:22

Thanks for the clips. Real nice clean tone.In the last clip The Jack i can´t here when you switch to the AFD mode.

joec63
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby joec63 » 22 Jan 2011, 09:07

I've been waiting for someone to give an example of some appropriate cleans! Sounds a lot better than I expected. I'm sure there will be even more clean headroom with a strat. Thanks HH!, chomping at the bit for mine to arrive.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Jan 2011, 09:32

The AFD mode sounds fantastic, love it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Beano4Ever
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Beano4Ever » 22 Jan 2011, 09:49

surfnorthwest wrote:The AFD mode sounds fantastic, love it.
Yea I agree 110%. AFD mode is "THE" reason to buy this amp. It sounds outstanding! As for the cleans........if you think these cleans sound good then...... well I probably shouldn't say it. I don't want to take away from what this amp does and tone is very subjective anyway. I am just gonna wait until they come out with the AFD pedal and then use it with the YJM. That way I will have the sounds and features that I like of both amps wrapped into one!

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 22 Jan 2011, 15:52

Beano4Ever wrote:
surfnorthwest wrote:The AFD mode sounds fantastic, love it.
Yea I agree 110%. AFD mode is "THE" reason to buy this amp. It sounds outstanding! As for the cleans........if you think these cleans sound good then...... well I probably shouldn't say it. I don't want to take away from what this amp does and tone is very subjective anyway. I am just gonna wait until they come out with the AFD pedal and then use it with the YJM. That way I will have the sounds and features that I like of both amps wrapped into one!
AFD Pedal????really? I'm interested.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Jan 2011, 16:04

:thumbsdown Dude if anyone should be working a second job for that amp it's you. Do you honestly think a pedal could be made to replicate that tone the AFD gives. A pedal would be like giving a woman a rubber dick when she really want the real thing.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 22 Jan 2011, 16:12

surfnorthwest wrote:
:thumbsdown Dude if anyone should be working a second job for that amp it's you. Do you honestly think a pedal could be made to replicate that tone the AFD gives. A pedal would be like giving a woman a rubber dick when she really want the real thing.
Thanks Surf! I know I know! I can't take it any longer seeing that power scaling amp in action on youtube any more!. Things are going better with my girl friend & her job now so I just may get a second job now, lost my other two jobs a while back due to lay off, been making it just on one job, side work and her income.

As far as the AFD pedal goes I was just kind of interested if that was real or imagined? I honestly don't think Marshall would make one...though that might appease some who missed out on the AFD-100. I was more less interested to see if something like that existed and if so I'd try it out lol. But yes the goal is firmly on an AFD-100!.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Jan 2011, 16:17

Hey it's great that Hellhound is taking the time to make some clips for us. I got to try it last weekend for the first time and yes the AFD100 is badd ass. I just prefer the YJM for what I play. I think you will be very happy with it. Honestly it was better then I thought it was going to be.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Beano4Ever
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Beano4Ever » 22 Jan 2011, 16:56

Slashwannabe1 wrote:As far as the AFD pedal goes I was just kind of interested if that was real or imagined?
I was just speculating about the pedal, however I would not be too surprised to see one come out at some point. Santiago has said that Marshall is going to expand on the AFD line and a guy on another forum mentioned that his Marshall rep in the UK mentioned to him that a Slash combo is on the way so an AFD pedal certainly doesn't seem out of the question. Granted a pedal is never going to give you the exact sound, but if it can get me close without having to buy a whole new amp for one sound then I'd be cool with it.

Another vid showing the cleans on the afd.

[youtube][/youtube]

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 22 Jan 2011, 17:26

surfnorthwest wrote:Hey it's great that Hellhound is taking the time to make some clips for us. I got to try it last weekend for the first time and yes the AFD100 is badd ass. I just prefer the YJM for what I play. I think you will be very happy with it. Honestly it was better then I thought it was going to be.
Excellent clips of the AFD100 that Hellhound is showing us you're right...forgot to say it in my last post.

By the way Surf, Did you also get to try the YJM100? that amp seems to have been flying under the radar pretty well.
1966 Fender Bandmaster

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Jan 2011, 22:20

By the way Surf, Did you also get to try the YJM100? that amp seems to have been flying under the radar pretty well.
Well its not under my radar, I am locked on. No I did not get to persoanlly play the amp at Namm. I spoke with Santiago about it quite a bit and then he took me into the Marshall sound proff room where I met Chris George. Chris of course is a great guy and player and he put the amp through its paces for me, was like a private show. I was pissing myself I wanted to take it home with me. The amp is dream for old Marshall fans like myself, Yngwie knew what the hell would be the ultimate Marshall for some and he nailed it. Of course Santiago made it happen so he gets a lot of credit too.

Check out my NAMM pics and you can see it. I shot video of the demo but since pulled the videos down.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 23 Jan 2011, 02:31

surfnorthwest wrote:Hey it's great that Hellhound is taking the time to make some clips for us. I got to try it last weekend for the first time and yes the AFD100 is badd ass. I just prefer the YJM for what I play. I think you will be very happy with it. Honestly it was better then I thought it was going to be.
Thanks Surf. Hearing from you that you really liked the AFD sounds good. I´m still like most waiting for mine but i´ve not been really sure about it since it has sounded very trebly on most clips except the launch video with Slash where it sounds really great. A lot warmer and thicker. Still i think i must get the YJM also.
But maybe since i don´t need the boost, noise gate and reverb there will come a more straight 1959 with just the power control and the self biasing. Don´t really like the big Marshall Major box either. 24Kg is real heavy to carrie around at gigs. And the fourth valve can it really be exactly like a 1959 with that?

Don´t think you should have any high hopes on an AFD pedal :rocker

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 23 Jan 2011, 07:32

And the fourth valve can it really be exactly like a 1959 with that?
A 1959 has a very unique open sound that is unmistakable. I did not get a 1959 vibe from the AFD but rather a perfect blend of a hotrod 800. Do not hesitate or second guess yourself on the AFD, it is a great amp for the road. The YJM is going to be different and really it is going to be personal preference. The amp sounded better then I thought it would and the AFD mode with a Les Paul is going to rock.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Beano4Ever
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Beano4Ever » 23 Jan 2011, 11:45

surfnorthwest wrote:
A 1959 has a very unique open sound that is unmistakable.

Yep. The sound is so open, airy, and organic. Nothing sounds phony or forced or pushed or contrived. It sounds like a Ferrari that could go 205mph if it really wanted too, but it would rather just cruise along at 140 because it don't wanna break a sweat!

For example IMO this clip is what a good 1959 sounds like. Classic Marshall Superlead all the way.... Granted this is a suberbass clone of the real deal but you get the idea of the tone and dynamic I am talking about. Roll down the volume knob,it cleans right up for some good cleans..... crank it, and just stand back and enjoy 100 watts of pure POWER tube saturation. That is pure tone my friends!

Another reason I love them is because they are also such an excellent petal platform and take just about any pedal with ease and sounds incredible. The AFD pedal is going to sound great through my YJM and for me that's very important because it just adds to the overall versatility of the amp. In general Pedals + amps that are heavily colored and/or heavy on preamp tube distortion dont mix well but that's not a problem with a superlead/ superbass. Crank that baby up, add a pedal or two, throw in wee bit of reverb and maybe awee bit of delay for extra seasoning and just sit back and fade away in sweet tonal bliss......

Man I am getting choked up just thinking about how great my YJM100 is going to sound!!!! :bgrin

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”