Moderator: longfxukxnhair

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Should I switch from the AFD to YJM?

Postby kissfanps » 02 Feb 2011, 15:09

I have an AFD on order, but now I am thinking the YJM might better suited towards my tastes. Although I do love Slash's playing and tone on the album, the amp might be a bit much for me. For me there is almost nothing better than the sound of a cranked 1959 circuit - the tones from albums like Kiss's Alive!, Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, Silvertide's Show and Tell, Free's Fire and Water, Van Halen's Van Halen (but thats whole other story as we all know). And of course tones that aren't the 1959 circuit but are still raw Marshall like AC/DC, Def Leppard, and ZZ Top (no clue what BFG used).

Like this for instance:

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Silvertide:Ain ... 5b4d632a16

And this (Disclaimer - please don't make fun of paul stanleyness of the song):

The above is not the "official video," but just the best quality i could find you tube. I love the tones on Kiss's new Sonic Boom. If you haven't listen to it just try out, for the tone if nothing more. I know for a fact that Paul's parts were done with either a Bassman head or a Randall MTS with a plexi modeler. Tommy used either a 70's JMP 2203 or a Hughes & Ketner Statesman. For solo's he clicked on a tube screamer.

So what do we all think? Switch to the YJM or keep the AFD. I am not to thrilled about the difference in price.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Should I switch from the AFD to YJM?

Postby surfnorthwest » 02 Feb 2011, 16:20

I know a lot of the delays and the introduction of the YJM took some of the wind out of the AFD sails. I have heard both amps in person and you will have no problem getting tones from classic rock bands from either. The AFD is still one of the best Marshalls to be made avalible to the consumer. It is all Slash and Marshall said it would be.

Now the YJM has a few extra features the AFD does not, thus it is fair to expect that amp to be about $600 more. So you have to ask yourself if the extra money, wait, and going against your first impression is a good idea. Both will be very special. There is no doubt that for what i do the YJM is for me, I can't fairly say if it is for you.

FWIW my guy at Sweetwater has me getting their first YJM but at this time he only has a official product number and no price or time (I think July). The AFD will ship from Sweetwater March 30.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 02 Feb 2011, 23:38

I had the same dilemma ... only I had ordered 2 AFD's ... so it was a pretty straight forward solution for me.
One of each .... :cowbell
The AFD are just around the corner I'm beeing told from my provider.... should last me until the YJM is available !
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 03 Feb 2011, 03:59

Trond, you will become the resident expert on comparing the two amps. Very nice collection of Marshalls.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kissfanps » 03 Feb 2011, 07:29

gtrman wrote:I had the same dilemma ... only I had ordered 2 AFD's ... so it was a pretty straight forward solution for me.
One of each .... :cowbell
The AFD are just around the corner I'm beeing told from my provider.... should last me until the YJM is available !
oh sure. now there is a solution. :ahole want to buy me a yjm?
Marshall Class 5
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 03 Feb 2011, 14:32

Fact is you wont be getting any of these sounds even if you buy a YJM. ´got a 1959 amp and been trying to nail Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy´´s tone for many years but it never sounds the same. Many guitarists back then used effects, boosters or other tricks to get their tones. There is rather little distortion availeble on a 1959 amp even dimed. So try them out both amps.
According to AC/DC they have used 1959 amps in the 70´s even if they also used master voulme Marshalls.

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Hellhound » 03 Feb 2011, 16:45

You could just test drive the AFD and if it's not to your taste, you can always eBay it and get your money back in time fir the YJM. I listened to some of the Kiss track and I'd say the AFD could get you close. The AFD has loads of bite and crunch and it would seem that is what you are looking for.

What a lovely problem to have :think
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

KevinOConnor
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby KevinOConnor » 04 Feb 2011, 10:42

Hi Guys
Mats A wrote:Fact is you wont be getting any of these sounds even if you buy a YJM. ´got a 1959 amp and been trying to nail Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy´´s tone for many years but it never sounds the same. Many guitarists back then used effects, boosters or other tricks to get their tones. There is rather little distortion availeble on a 1959 amp even dimed.
The YJM has the built-in boost, so that is not a problem.

The YJM has built-in Power Scaling, so you can run it flat out without hurting your ears or your neighbourly relations, so this is a big improvement of a 1959, too. Whatever boosted or pre-distorted sound you generate at the preamp level can be smoothed out with power amp compression - a nice characteristic to have when you want to get singing lead tones.

The reverb is a bonus, although many prefer to add their own reverb unit.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 05 Feb 2011, 07:52

When I play with my 1959 and my Power Brake it don´t sound that much different. very much closer than playing with just preamp distortion anyway. Different boosters can sound different also like Brian R was using 2 Copicat echoes as boosters.
I play a les Paul and i still can´t get a tone like Ace on Kiss Alive or Eddie either. But still you can sound very good. But you can sound good with only preamp distortion also like guitarists has done for the last 35 years.

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby fortress » 06 Feb 2011, 19:46

kissfanps wrote:I have an AFD on order, but now I am thinking the YJM might better suited towards my tastes. Although I do love Slash's playing and tone on the album, the amp might be a bit much for me. For me there is almost nothing better than the sound of a cranked 1959 circuit - the tones from albums like Kiss's Alive!, Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, Silvertide's Show and Tell, Free's Fire and Water, Van Halen's Van Halen (but thats whole other story as we all know). And of course tones that aren't the 1959 circuit but are still raw Marshall like AC/DC, Def Leppard, and ZZ Top (no clue what BFG used).

Like this for instance:

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Silvertide:Ain ... 5b4d632a16

And this (Disclaimer - please don't make fun of paul stanleyness of the song):

The above is not the "official video," but just the best quality i could find you tube. I love the tones on Kiss's new Sonic Boom. If you haven't listen to it just try out, for the tone if nothing more. I know for a fact that Paul's parts were done with either a Bassman head or a Randall MTS with a plexi modeler. Tommy used either a 70's JMP 2203 or a Hughes & Ketner Statesman. For solo's he clicked on a tube screamer.

So what do we all think? Switch to the YJM or keep the AFD. I am not to thrilled about the difference in price.

to your question YES!! i'm thinking the same thing

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kissfanps » 07 Feb 2011, 05:56

as simple as that fortress?

so I think I am going to stick with AFD. if i dont like i am sure ebay will treat me well like hellhound suggested. anyway i have the vm and class 5 for my classic tones and maybe one day i can end up like gtrman, the gear whore that he is :yea , with both of them.

its a tough life when i have to decide between two sweet marshalls.
Marshall Class 5
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 07 Feb 2011, 07:05

kissfanps wrote:as simple as that fortress?

so I think I am going to stick with AFD. if i dont like i am sure ebay will treat me well like hellhound suggested. anyway i have the vm and class 5 for my classic tones and maybe one day i can end up like gtrman, the gear whore that he is :yea , with both of them.

its a tough life when i have to decide between two sweet marshalls.
One day ... if you just work a little harder :Jerkoff

:laugher
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 07 Feb 2011, 16:16

gtrman wrote: One day ... if you just work a little harder :Jerkoff

:laugher
I've been doing a lot of this lately :Jerkoff since me and the girl have had problems. Amazingly enough still no AFD money in my hands after all that jerking off by myself.

I'm starting to think if all that jerking off gets you all those nice amps, your swimmers must be made of gold!!!.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”