Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 44 times

An AFD in AUstralia!!!

Postby Bluesburst » 07 Mar 2011, 16:09

I got my call last Friday saying my AFD100 Slash amp has finally arrived.

I am in tone heaven. For me it's perfect out of the box. There are plenty of demos on Youtube now so there's no need for me to destroy the reputation of the amp with my mediocre chops. I've tried to find a bad tone but I can't. The power scaling is frickin' awesome and apart from the first 5% of the available range where it's a little thin, the tone is there. The power control is a true volume. Outstanding!!! :jam :yea

I've also gone through all my pedals and this is where it gets interesting. By pulling back the gain and the guitar's volume, there's enough clean for it to take pedals but that sort of defeats the purpose of the amp. Of my vast array of pedals, overdrive, distortion and fuzz, only 2 of them were able to really add anything to the amp. That was the V1 DLS and Effectrode Tube Drive.

So regardless of what you may or may not think of Slash, this is a seriously good blues, blues-rock amp... but perhaps not so good for pedal manufacturers. It's amazing to have a full blown 100W beast (and it is a beast when turned up) to be able to use as a legitimate home practice amp.

This IS THE TONE I've spent a lot of years and a lot of money buying amps and pedals to get.

Here are my 2 favourite settings:

Classic Rock Pres: 6, Bass: 3, Mid: 6, Treb: 9, Master: 6, Gain: 8, Mode: Either depending on song
Metal Rhythm Pres: 7, Bass: 10, Mid: 0, Treb: 10, Master: 6, Gain: 9, Mode: #34

I have never been happier with a piece of gear before, I just can't find a dud area on this amp. So far, all I'm finding is a range of sweet spots.

Just in case you're wondering, I FRICKIN' LOVE THIS AMP :jam :jam :jam
Be good... or be good at it!!!

Martin

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: An AFD in AUstralia!!!

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Mar 2011, 17:36

Congrats man, I am truly happy for you. I'm sure it was totally worth the long wait. Many jealous players in Oz.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Licks61SG
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Licks61SG » 08 Mar 2011, 19:00

Hard for myself to be jealous with a VM Surf (although part of me is :ball kick ), but happy that a fellow Aussie has a brand spankin' new, bloody awesome AFD. Congrats Bluesburst. :jam
Gibson SG 61' Reissue
Marshall VM 2466 w/ 425a Cab
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Pedal
Marshall MG50DFX

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Bluesburst » 08 Mar 2011, 21:10

Thanks Guys,

Yep, this is the one for me :dance :Thumbs

Once my finances recover, all I need now is (for me) the perfect humbucker equipped reissue Les Paul. Either a 57, 58 or 59. My 56 reissue is awesome and the P90's work brilliantly through the AFD100.

What I'm finding, which has been an ongoing issue with other combinations of guitars, amps and effects is having to be careful to not pushing my tone in muddy territory. The AFD100 is such an articulate amp. The worst I can make it do, is overly bassy, but not muddy if that makes sense.

I'm a happy guy :dance :dance :dance
Be good... or be good at it!!!

Martin

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”