Feeding a preamp into the return loop of the AFD?

Signature AFD Slash Amplifier

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

Feeding a preamp into the return loop of the AFD?

Postby Steven Latch » 27 Mar 2011, 14:31

Hey!

A long time rack and multi-channel amp users (among which the mighty JCM slash), I am really sold on getting the AFD.

However, because I like to have several switchable sound, I was thinking about setting up a small side rack to use alongside the AFD, with a GCX guitar switcher and a mesa boogie studio preamp. This would allow me to choose whether to send to the retun loop of the AFD, either the AFD preamp for distorsion, or the mesa for a sparkling clean.

Technically it will all work fine. But using an external preamp into the return loop of a head is a hit and miss thing. Did anybody try that with the AFD?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Feeding a preamp into the return loop of the AFD?

Postby surfnorthwest » 27 Mar 2011, 17:51

I dobt anyone has done that. most people buying the AFD are buying it for the AFD tone. Your setup will work but of course watch how much preamp line level you give the loop. If it were me I would find a used DSL and use its power stage for that setup and not a collectable amp like the AFD.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Steven Latch » 27 Mar 2011, 23:46

Sure, I could use any Marshall Amp with a loop if I only intented to use the power stage, but the point would be to be able to switch between the Mesa and the Marshall preamp through the GCX switcher and feed this signal to the power amp.

The other option would be to use my JCM Slash (or any other amp) for cleans but the setup become too complex and cumbersome: Two heads equals much more weight. Need to share a single speaker with two heads....

-- Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:15 pm --

Well... I have just put a deposit on an AFD, picking it up during the week.

I'll be able to check wheter it's a great standalone amp or if it can get along well with a rack to make it a super versatile setup.

The worst mistake to make is not to try at all hahahahaha!

-- Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:09 am --

Well.. I got my AFD and had some time to experiment....

The AFD mode sounds great (not convinced yet by the #34 mode).

I tried plugging my mesa studio pre in the return loop of the amp. Fantastic sound too.

I will definitely get a GCX guitar switcher so as to switch between the clean/crunch of the mesa, and the AFD's own preamp. That will give me as much flexibility as multi-amp setup, will less weight and transportation hassle.

santiall
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 10 times
Been liked: 141 times

Postby santiall » 17 Apr 2011, 22:16

It is not harm by doing so. In fact you can alternate between AFD preamp or external one. The only issue to look out are ground loops when connecting all the system.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Apr 2011, 16:51

santiall wrote:It is not harm by doing so. In fact you can alternate between AFD preamp or external one. The only issue to look out are ground loops when connecting all the system.
That would be cool, maybe stick this in the loop.

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Steven Latch » 19 Apr 2011, 10:06

Thanks. The GCX actually takes care of ground loops, signal losses and so on very well.

I have so far tried inserting the Mesa Boogie Studio preamp and it sounds fine. However, I am toying with the idea of using a Randall RM4 instead. The concept really works fine. Having access to a great marshall sound plus 4 emulations of other great amp would make a killer setup.

I have never tried the ENG. Surely a great thing too, but it wouldn't offer the flexibility of the RM4

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”