Moderator: longfxukxnhair

matuss
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

pickup changin epi custom

Postby matuss » 21 Aug 2010, 01:42

i have an epi custom...thinking about changin a neck pickup...got an SD alnico II in bridge and i'm thinkin to replace neck pickup for SD '59...what do you think?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: pickup changin epi custom

Postby surfnorthwest » 21 Aug 2010, 07:14

Well it depends on what your current pickups lack and what you are after as well as your budget for the pickups.

I never owned a Epi LP but I know some guys that have done the SD JB4 in the bridge and a Air Norton in the neck and also replaced all the pots with the new RS Guitarworks kits and said that all that made a whole better guitar.

There are so many choices out there and very subtle differences between some pickups.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 21 Aug 2010, 11:23

If yours is a newer Epi then chaning pickups can be a real pain in the ass. They have this wiring harness that makes it a real bitch to replace pickups. Just letting you know. That said, taking out the stock pickups really makes a huge improvement in tone.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

matuss
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby matuss » 22 Aug 2010, 03:27

its a 2001 model LP alpine white...yeah the budget is the biggest problem :bang i played sound samples on seymour duncan web site and i did kinda like the sound of 59 in neck...the thing is i cant tell how its gonna behave in real...already find out that epis are troublemakers in changin spares tho but its as close as i can get to gibson with little money...i've changed the headstock for vintage kluson and the bridge for gotoh tune o matic, next will be the neck pickup and than pots and nut...one by one!

man i guess i just have to try it myself...

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 22 Aug 2010, 09:13

2001 shouldn't have the harness so it should be an easy swap. Seymour Duncan PAF style pickups are all pretty good.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

Return to “Guitar Pickups”