Moderator: longfxukxnhair

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Chris George playing on both AFD and YJM Amp

Postby fortress » 17 Jan 2011, 19:18

Well, the video i wanted to see, Chris play first with the AFD and after the YJM, we can hear which amp sound the best. I did pre order an AFD but after listening to this, the YJM sound the best.. Well, its just a damn cam mic but anyway

here the video
[youtube][/youtube]

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: Chris George playing on both AFD and YJM Amp

Postby Mats A » 18 Jan 2011, 09:43

I think i think the opposit. Shame he jumpered the channels on the YJM. Most people only use the high treble high sensitivity channel 1 input.

Beano4Ever
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Beano4Ever » 18 Jan 2011, 10:09

These are two very different sounding amps designed to meet the needs of different markets. There is really no reason for there to be a competition between the two and I think they both sound really great at doing what they were designed to do. If I had the money I would consider buying both but given that this will probably be my only rig then the JYM is better suited to meet my needs.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Mats A » 18 Jan 2011, 10:38

Yeah i agree with that. I think i eventually buy both.

But i don´t agree in all this talk about the YJM or the 1959 beeing a more versatile amp. I got a 1959 Plexi reissue with a Power Brake and a booster that I sometimes use. It´s my least gigging Marshall of the three i´ve got.
Mainly it´s very good at playing hardrock and you can get a decent clean sound on it by turning down the volume on the guitar. But the tone controls have very little effect when turning them. It´s very much a one trick pony. But it´s a hreat sound.

The AFD is also in that category but with a bit of a more modern twist to it.

Beano4Ever
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Beano4Ever » 18 Jan 2011, 12:12

Mats A wrote:.But i don´t agree in all this talk about the YJM or the 1959 beeing a more versatile amp.

Well I have to strongly disagree about that. Obviously I don't know what is going on with your particular 1959 but in general you can get some good to pretty good cleans out of them depending on the actual amp itself. Of course you are probably not going to ever get Fender cleans out of them, but just about everyone that I have actually played through had some pretty usable cleans.

For example in the YJM demo you can hear for yourself that the amp sounds like it is going to have some very usable cleans......ad just a touch of that reverb, turn it up until its just on the edge of breaking up, kick in the boost for solos and you've got yourself a very usable clean and blues amp. On the other hand with the AFD, from everything I have read from people that own them and that I have heard through youtube, you can pretty much forget about any usable cleans. To quote one owner "there's no real 'clean' coming out of this amp." That alone makes it less versatile imo. Also, In one of the youtube demo videos you can here Chris clearly state that the AFD pretty much has just one sound. That's not very versatile in my book but no big deal... again just two really good sounding amps meeting different needs of different markets. :Cheers

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Mats A » 18 Jan 2011, 13:37

Yes two great amps. The sound that Chris got out of the YJM was not very much different ftom the one i get from my 1959. But still to get all these tones you have to tweak the controls on the amp. Hard to do while playing. The AFD has at least got 2 different voicings that are foot switchable. And since the 34 cvoicing has less gain it may be easier to get a clean soud there.
Clean sounds also depends on the guitar pickups. Many has these high output pickups. I use Gibson PAF´s and they are not very hot.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Jan 2011, 13:53

The AFD has at least got 2 different voicings that are foot switchable
You can certainly look at the YJM the same way. Without the boost engaged it is a 1959 and with it engaged it is a different voicing in some sense. Sort of like how the AFD has the #34 and the AFD, the YJM has the Plexi and the SuperPlexi.

Another thing you might now all know here is this YJM was finished before the AFD was. However because Marshall announced the AFD at the NAMM show last year and all the people screaming for it on the AFD website the AFD production jumped ahead of the YJM's production. As soon as those AFDs finish coming off the assembly line the YJMs will start.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Mats A » 18 Jan 2011, 14:29

I can´t wait!
Still if you boost a plexi i think the tone stays quite the same you just get more distortion going on. But if you either use channel 1 or 2 or jumper then. you get very different tones. There is some videos where Cfis is not jumpering the channels wich i prefer.

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby fortress » 18 Jan 2011, 19:44

i still think the YJM is a better sounding overall amp!! less trebly and fatter

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”