Moderator: longfxukxnhair

BOZ
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Solo boost(volume)?

Postby BOZ » 20 Jan 2011, 14:53

Hi new here,i have read just about everything i can find on this amp and have ordered one because of the "limited edition".The only thing i cannot get info on is if you can boost the volume for solo's with the boost or just increase the gain.Surely if it has a series effects loop this can be used to boost volume with a clean boost pedal.If the amp is running flat out just lower the output on the clean boost for rhythm and then turn it off for solo's,this should work right? :chug

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Solo boost(volume)?

Postby surfnorthwest » 20 Jan 2011, 15:22

Welcome to the forum, from I seen and the the few things Chris did with the boost your assumptions are correct on both counts. While I am not 100% certain if it is truly a volume boost it sure sounded like it to me.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

BOZ
<25
<25

Postby BOZ » 20 Jan 2011, 15:34

Hey thanks for the reply,i hope the wait is not too long! :beerme

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 20 Jan 2011, 15:46

Sounded on the clip like Chris said it was the same as putting a booster in front of the input 1. I believe Yngwie uses his DOD more for getting his tone than for a level boost, in other words on pretty much all the time. But yes to using a clean boost in the loop.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 20 Jan 2011, 20:29

Since the output stage is saturated and overdriven i think you have to lower the signal very much and lose rather much distortion to get a real difference in volume level out. But Santiago should know this.

Jeando
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Jeando » 21 Jan 2011, 05:42

No matter Yngwie says, i do preffer TS9 over DOD yjm308, but like Beck-Ola has said IMO Yngwie uses the DOD to colour his tone, i use it in that way too (even with TS9 i can get really close yngwie tone) and i do the the volume boost control in the Fx Loop. With the VM it is a bit more complicated because of the VM itself, but i think in any other tube amp it is straighfoward.
Gear:
Fender YJM strat, Fender standard strat (scalloped), Fender American Standard strat (scalloped), Ovation CSE, Marshall AVT-275, Marshall VM 2466, Marshall MG-10, Boss GT8, Ibanez TS9, Dimarzio pickups ( HS3, HS4, Virtual Vintage 2.1).

"Over the years virtually every amp manufacturer in the world has asked me to try their amps...I'd rather pay for a Marshall than get the others for free". Y. Malmsteen.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 21 Jan 2011, 07:48

You mean you use the DOD or TS9 in the effects loop to boost volume?

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”