Moderator: longfxukxnhair

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul
Has Liked: 87 times
Been liked: 527 times

Something old, something new...

Postby aristotle » 26 Oct 2011, 14:27

OK, I'm not going to stop gigging the 2466, but the YJM is going to start making appearances... Like others have said, the power scaling really works, which is surprising to me. I thought that I'd just go and drop the thing down to 50watt mode when I wanted to control volume, and leave the scaling at 100percent. To my ear, the thing sounds fantastic scaled all the way down to minimum.

Haven't hooked it up to a proper 4-hole cab yet (I'm limited to 30watts with the cab I have at home). Tonight I crank it though.

Nothing much more to say that others haven't. The boost is great, the noise gate keeps the P90s managed perfectly (and seems to work noticeably better than on the JMD...at least in my initial look at it), power scaling seems to be implemented in a way to keep tone all the way down to a whisper. Easiest "out of the box" set up that I've experienced.

It may be the world's best (if least cost effective) bedroom amp.

It doesn't replace the VM....but it goes places that the VM can't (at least with me at the helm...)
Attachments
yjm.jpg
yjm.jpg (511.89 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: Something old, something new...

Postby Mats A » 26 Oct 2011, 14:47

Still you get much less distortion using the EPA than having the amp crancked with EPA on full power using a Power Brake or without if you can. And i mean there is a huge difference. So in my opinion it works good but there is no way really getting that sound totally than to really dime the whole amp including the output transformer.

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul
Has Liked: 87 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby aristotle » 26 Oct 2011, 14:58

Certainly that's true...and didn't mean to imply otherwise :winking Mainly just meant that I was expecting much worse (to the point that figured that I wouldn't use it.) Instead, I find that it's very usable indeed, generating what to me is great tone and distortion at extremely low volumes.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 Oct 2011, 15:51

Get a good amp switcher such as Voodoo Labs and bring them both, switch between them or play both together. I know its a lot to haul but man you will have world class tone for the show.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 27 Oct 2011, 10:03

surfnorthwest wrote:Get a good amp switcher such as Voodoo Labs and bring them both, switch between them or play both together. I know its a lot to haul but man you will have world class tone for the show.
That's my plan!

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”